It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO in my screensaver - NASA ISS007-E-16249

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Apologies in advance if this has been covered before, I did a search before posting, but this screensaver image has been bugging me for a couple of years now.

One of my screensaver images, preinstalled with Gnome on Linux, shows the Earth horizon from near space with a grey-coloured cigar-shaped UFO in the top-right.

I did a reverse image search on Google and it appears that the image is photograph ISS007-E-16249 taken on 4th October 2003 by an Expedition 7 crewmember onboard the International Space Station.

Here's the page on NASA's website. Click the 'high res' link on the page to see the UFO in the top-right:

spaceflight.nasa.gov...

Zooming in on the object, it appears to encompass the full spectrum of visible light with red on top, then orange, yellow, green and blue.

I'm guessing it's a lens artifact of some kind. I don't think it's lens flare or a reflection of the Earth because it's on a skewed angle in relation to the Earth, but then I'm no expert on such things.

Thought it was interesting anyway. Discuss or discard at your leisure

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by wemadetheworld

You mean the light reflection?
How about from inside, reflected on the glass?

edit on 8/2/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Actually it appears to be "lens flare". The next image in the series
eol.jsc.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by wemadetheworld

One of my screensaver images, preinstalled with Gnome on Linux, shows the Earth horizon from near space with a grey-coloured cigar-shaped UFO in the top-right.

I'm sorry I might be out of topic because I've got nothing to say about the ufo part but I have to say that the pic is just breathtaking. I ended up using it as a screensaver myself

Thanks for posting it

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Telos

Now you're going to have to decide...
eol.jsc.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Even better

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
i would say some kind of light abberation. cool pic though

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Actually it appears to be "lens flare". The next image in the series
eol.jsc.nasa.gov...

Yeah, clearly the next image exhibits a more extreme example of lens flare, but does appear to have the same underlying characteristics; the red and blue spectra above and below the object, and a faint circular aura spread around the object.

The object in my original image does seem to be off-center though. If you draw a perpendicular line through the object then the line doesn't pass through the exact center of the image, but I guess the image could have been cropped.

I guess it's most likely a really low-key example of lens flare.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Telos

Now you're going to have to decide...
eol.jsc.nasa.gov...

Thanks Phage, that's MY screensaver now

top topics

join