It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-16 midair off Virginia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Two F-16Cs operating off the coast of Virginia collided last (Thursday) night during routine training operations. The aircraft belonged to the 113th Wing of the Washington DC Air National Guard, taking place in training off Chincoteague, Virginia. One pilot ejected and was rescued by a Coast Guard MH-60 Jayhawk early Friday morning. The other pilot was able to return to Andrews AFB and made a safe landing. Both pilots suffered minor injuries.

JOINT BASE ANDREWS, Md. (WUSA9) -- Officials are trying to figure out how two F-16C Falcon aircraft collided on Thursday night off the coast of Chincoteague, Va.

The F-16C jets were assigned to the 113th Wing D.C. Air National Guard and were part of a routine training mission off the coast of Chincoteague, Va. late Thursday night when they crashed, say officials.

Officials tell us that one pilot safely ejected from his aircraft, and was recovered by the U.S. Coast Guard. National Guard officials tell us that an automated Search and Rescue Satellite Aided Tracking distress signal from an ejection seat registered to an Air National Guard plane alerted Coast Guard watchers to the situation at approximately 10:28 p.m. Thursday.

www.wusa9.com...

Video of the rescue included at the link.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

There goes a few million dollars of military equipment.

Are the F-16's antiques by now in comparison to some of the newer technology? Grant it some of the old designs can be the most reliable.

I was recently reading an article on the Seaking helicopters and how they remain to be a major work horse for many countries.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

In terms of comparing the F-16 to say an F-22, of course. In terms of comparing them to say an Su-27 or Su-34, not in the least. The Block 60 Desert Falcon operated by the UAE is one of the most advanced 4th generation fighters built, and is the most advanced F-16 operated by anyone. They're still a workhorse, and a good fighter.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Ahh i see.

Woo night time rescue. The video gave me chills. Cant imagine to have to ditch in darkness and float around waiting for a helicopter.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I'm genuinely curious about how stuff like this happens. I mean with all that open air space and advanced communication/radar, it seems like you would have to try hard to get two jets to come into contact. Maybe they were flying in a tight formation or something?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by avwood

Formation rejoin is the most common time for a midair to occur. Especially if they were using NVGs. The new NVGs are great, but there's still a bit of a depth perception issue, and rejoins can occur at fairly high speeds, during turns. A midair during a rejoin can happen on a clear day, with amazing visibility because it's so easy to misjudge closure rates.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I have seen an F16 in dogfighting over Ft Carson against Colo's NG Corsairs(ONE A7 buzzed me that day and knocked me over while we were on top of a plateau,but that is because they were Vietnam vets and world record pilots!) they are agile beyond the pilots ability to survive the capability. Great dog fighters.
edit on 2-8-2013 by cavtrooper7 because: missplled

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

The words "pain in the ass" come to mind when talking about working on them though.
We had a bird come in with a nose gear anti-skid problem (think ABS), and the crew chief had to check the wiring. The primary wire for the anti-skid requires a mirror and a magnifying glass just to see it, it's so small. And in an awkward position to boot.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Oh yes night vision goggle require training kids. If you put a set on and try running you will collide into something in heavy growth.NOT A GOOD idea if you are forward deployed.You can trip over curbs,get blinded by a flash of light ,oh yeah ,fun,fun ,fun.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
I have seen an F16 in dogfighting over Ft Carson against Colo's NG Corsairs(ONE A7 buzzed me that day and knocked me over while we were on top of a plateau,but that is because they were Vietnam vets and world record pilots!) they are agile beyond the pilots ability to survive the capability. Great dog fighters.
edit on 2-8-2013 by cavtrooper7 because: missplled

This got me thinking of a few videos I saw recently

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Then theres that wire abrasion thing where that pilot in Korea crashed because of instrument failure .He pulled up to avoid mountains while inverted.
Man ,how they LOVE to blame the pilot.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

I can top them.

This is a screencap from it, because he goes by too fast to see well.

edit on 8/2/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

The IG actually pretty much ordered the Air Force to change the accident report from the F-22 crash in Alaska that killed the pilot. They said pilot error because he failed to notice that he was descending towards the mountains.

Of course they left out that he was having problems with the OBOGS unit, and was twisted around trying to reach down beside the seat to activate the emergency oxygen bottle at the time he descended towards the mountains.
edit on 8/2/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Hahaha i was actually looking for the video of that one. Mind blowing.

I am guessing going that low requires not only skill and guts, but luck as well, yes?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

A lot of all of those. Some squirrel looks up to see what that noise is, and you're screwed.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by MDDoxs

A lot of all of those. Some squirrel looks up to see what that noise is, and you're screwed.

Or the pilot has to sneeze.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Or pee, which is an ordeal in and of itself. *laugh* I always felt bad for them on cross country flights. It's...not the easiest process when you have to go to the bathroom in an F-16 or any other fighter.

One of the running jokes is that a fighter pilot is showing off to a transport (or bomber depending on your choice), saying anything they can do he can do better. They do some turns, and other easy things. Then the pilot of the transport says "Can you do this?" Nothing happens, and the fighter pilot says "You didn't do anything!" at which point the other pilot says "I just got up and went to the bathroom."

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Ah I see, thanks for the info. Were you a former pilot?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by avwood

I spent many many years out on the ramp dealing with everything from F-16s to KC-135s, and everything in between. I've had a lot of interaction with their pilots, and lots of long conversations with them. Never got to fly them (got a few minutes flying a KC-135 once though), but know them forwards, backwards, and sideways.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Damn that sounds awesome. Just out of curiosity, did you ever come across any colorblind pilots? I'm colorblind so my dreams of flying have been shattered lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join