It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taxpayers to cover Congressional Obamacare costs.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Politico

Lawmakers and staff can breathe easy — their health care tab is not going to soar next year. The Office of Personnel Management, under heavy pressure from Capitol Hill, will issue a ruling that says the government can continue to make a contribution to the health care premiums of members of Congress and their aides, according to several Hill sources.

So, the very people that are forcing Obamacare on the taxpayers lobbied to make certain that they wouldn't have to shoulder the same burden that the taxpayers (We) have to.

Their hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Opinions?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

Well if its not good enough for them,
why should we be forced into it?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by rangersdad

Well if its not good enough for them,
why should we be forced into it?

Exactly.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Pain for Thee but not for Me!

^^ Washington D.C.'s new Motto. I think it's the most accurate one it could carry.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Weasels!

That's my first thought.

They aren't paying for their healthcare in the first place WE ARE.

Now we get a double dose of taxation without representation.

Literally.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Weasels!

That's my first thought.

They aren't paying for their healthcare in the first place WE ARE.

Now we get a double dose of taxation without representation.

Literally.

Oh come now, if anyone is entitled to special treatment and exemptions from the burdens of the "average citizen" it is them. right?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Oh come now, if anyone is entitled to special treatment and exemptions from the burdens of the "average citizen" it is them. right?

Nope the only thing they deserve is a swift kick in their collective rear ends.

Bunch of kleptocrats.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Our government is actively working against the will of the taxpayer.
They make laws that we have to abide by, but not them.

We are slaves to our government.
We are not free to choose.
Democracy at it's worst.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorChaos
So, the very people that are forcing Obamacare on the taxpayers lobbied to make certain that they wouldn't have to shoulder the same burden that the taxpayers (We) have to.

I was agreeing with you until I read the article in full.

The problem was rooted in the original text of the Affordable Care Act. Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) inserted a provision which said members of Congress and their aides must be covered by plans “created” by the law or “offered through an exchange.” Read more: www.politico.com...

Grassley added an amendment to get rid of their pre-existing employer based healthcare plan. Why none of them picked it up before is anyone's guess.

Nobody should be forced off their existing plan.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
If they want the taxpayers to fund their healthcare, then I say the taxpayers should get to pick where they get treated... send them all to a vet, and insist that they get spayed or neutered first

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
We have been hearing how great all those subsidies and tax credits will be (if YOU can even qualify).

This sweet deal has now created a new category....

"Super-Subsidies"

What will be the next 'surprise' ?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
We have been hearing how great all those subsidies and tax credits will be (if YOU can even qualify).

This sweet deal has now created a new category....

"Super-Subsidies"

What will be the next 'surprise' ?

Stay tuned, I'm sure there's still plenty of taxpayer-screwing... erm.. policy making to come.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Politico

Lawmakers and staff can breathe easy — their health care tab is not going to soar next year. The Office of Personnel Management, under heavy pressure from Capitol Hill, will issue a ruling that says the government can continue to make a contribution to the health care premiums of members of Congress and their aides, according to several Hill sources.

Their hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Opinions?

What burden are we the taxpayers going to have to burden that "they" aren't?

All that was done here was to allow current practice to continue, why do you think that is hypocritical?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

The subsidies provided by the government (I.E. the taxpayers) will allow business as usual in congress, whereas the current setup for all other employers is leading to the cutting of hours in order to avoid paying the required costs under Obamacare.

Congress is getting out of the boat that the rest of the country is being forced into, eerily reminiscent of the lifeboats on the Titanic if you ask me.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

reply to post by AlienScience

The subsidies provided by the government (I.E. the taxpayers) will allow business as usual in congress, whereas the current setup for all other employers is leading to the cutting of hours in order to avoid paying the required costs under Obamacare.

Congress is getting out of the boat that the rest of the country is being forced into, eerily reminiscent of the lifeboats on the Titanic if you ask me.

I'm not following you at all.

The government has employees just like a corporation does. The government makes contributions to it's employees healthcare insurance just like corporations do. There was an amendment put into Obamacare (from a republican btw, Chuck Grassley), which required congressmen and staffers to get their insurance from the state exchanges. However, it also blocked the government to continue to provide contributions for the health care to be bought on the exchanges. This is effectively a huge pay cut for the staffers and congressmen...the congressmen make enough to where it doesn't matter...but for the staffers it pretty much makes them poor.

Long story short, congressmen and staffers are still going to buy their insurance off the exchanges...but they will still be given the contributions that they have always received. The same way a corporation will do it if an employee goes to the exchanges...the portion of healthcare the corporation pays into their employee based insurance will be given to the individual to buy off the exchanges.

There is no unequal treatment here, it would have been unequal if this fix wasn't implemented.

top topics

join