It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GCHQ: inside the top secret world of Britain's biggest spy agency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

GCHQ: inside the top secret world of Britain's biggest spy agency

www.theguardian.com

Files leaked by Edward Snowden reveal how the NSA pays for and influences some of the UK's intelligence gathering programmes. The documents also give unique insights into the challenges faced by the agency and the concerns it has about how to tackle them
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I take my hat off to The Guardian, they are arguably the only mainstream media source with any integrity-

But the "customer" the agency frets about most is the NSA. In numerous papers, GCHQ reveals its need to keep the Americans happy, and how it regards this as an overriding priority.

It is not hard to see why: the Guardian has discovered GCHQ receives tens of millions of pounds from the NSA every year, money it has come to rely upon to build and maintain its collecting and decoding capabilities. In turn, the US expects a service, and, potentially, access to a range of programmes, such as Tempora.

So, according to the leaks, GCHQ is working for the NSA, receceving millions of dollars every year to share the intelligence they gather.

In the decades since then, the NSA has become the world's biggest intelligence-gathering organisation, a position that has left its allies uncomfortably reliant on its financial and technical resources.

The Snowden files reveal just how much the UK is in hoc to the US.

There are details of payments made to GCHQ by the NSA, and vignettes which point to the UK's need to do America's bidding or risk losing favour with the senior partner.

I guess it is no surpise that American tax dollars are helping funding GCHQ, but if anything, this news piece confirms for me that Snowden is still working for 'them'. The article highlights the difficulties of handling all this data, they don't have the manpower to do much with it in a bigger picture viewpoint.

Snowden's leaks are part of the agenda to create a Panopticon society, a society were everyone adjusts and moderates their behaviour with the belief that they 'could be being watched a anytime'. It is control through fear. The fear that everything you do is being watched by 'Big Brother'.

www.theguardian.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2-8-2013 by Wonderer2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Agreed, the Guardian newspaper is one of the few that I have any respect for in the U.K.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I thought it was know for a long time that to get around certain laws, the Americans spied on the Brits and the Brits spied on the Americans. Then exchanged info. That was even before they built the Doughnut.
edit on 2-8-2013 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Nothing changes, it use to be beware of sinning you go to hell, now its beware of thinking Big Brother is watching you and most certainly listening.....

The Guardian is not a bad paper but I think they all have their string pullers

I always wondered why the UK's government seemed to be the lap dog of the USA but I still can't put it all down to GCHQ getting bucks by the lorry load, because surely we link also to INTERPOL so presumably we all in the EU, and USA have each other covered beautifully. I naively thought information was a shared thing when it concerned big crime and terrorism.

I do think the UK could stop a lot of this need to spy on its own if our foreign policies were not so inflamatory and interfering in other countries. What appalled me was a reporter lastnight on RT asking an MEP about the British people who had not complained to our Government about our invasion of Iraq and our ongoing wars abroad. She thought we the public didn't care. Her ignorance and his replies were both equally unbelievable. It is dreadful when you actually agree in principle with someone but the way they put their arguments and sidestep what they don't want to deal with is

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I always wondered how GCHQ got the monies it needed as the published accounts never seemed to be right but given most of its work is black ops its hardly surprising that its money comes from other sources....we probably send the Americans 200 million for stuff and they send us 100 million back so the funds come under another cost centre etc

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
LOl why is this stuff such a shock to you people lmao...It's been known for 10+ years..
You all knew about this and never panicked.. But some contractor tells people, you all freak lol..
EVERY COUNTRY IS GUILTY OF THIS..Sorry to break the facts to you..

new topics

top topics

join