It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Object falls from Sky... Wait. Govt says Weather Balloon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I looked and did not find this posted anywhere. I find this personally to be highly suspicious.

Simply nobody will be giving any credence to officials in America who have stated that a mystery object which fell from the sky this week - after which the surrounding area was evacuated and sealed off for some time by police and military personnel - was just a "weather balloon". Reportedly, large numbers of government operatives from various agencies converged urgently on a residential neighbourhood in Norfolk, Virginia, on Tuesday night after an unidentified object fell from the sky there. News reports describe the object as "something odd", with some eyewitness accounts saying it resembled a balloon and others suggesting that the crashlanded artifact had a structure similar to "styrofoam". According to local TV news:

www.theregister.co.uk...

So they apparently evacuate people.. Seal off the area and consult NASA over a weather balloon? 1+1 is not equaling 2 here in my opinion.
edit on 2-8-2013 by GArnold because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by GArnold
I looked and did not find this posted anywhere. I

You may be interested in the existing thread at:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I looked and did not find this posted anywhere.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Found it in the "Aliens and UFOS" forum.
Did you try looking there?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Object falls from the sky......it's a weather balloon.....

Sounds familiar, but "plausible" to me (LOL)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I looked and did not find this posted anywhere. I find this personally to be highly suspicious.

I persoanlly think it sounds like it was a weather balloon, and so do some of the eyewitnesses. Considering this happened near Wallops Island Research facility -- where they DO IN FACT launch weather balloons with scientific instrument payloads, it seems quite likely that's what it was.

Here is a TV report from a local Norfolk station about it (with videos of the object):

Package discovered in neighborhood turns out to be weather balloon

edit on 8/2/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by GArnold

some eyewitness accounts saying it resembled a balloon

Point to be noted

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carnivac
reply to post by GArnold

some eyewitness accounts saying it resembled a balloon

Point to be noted

Exactly.

Let's see:

- This happened near a research facility that regular launches weather balloons with instrument payloads.

- Object is a Styrofoam box with strings/cables connecting it to something in a tree that eyewitnesses describe as looking like a balloon.

Granted, the bomb squad was originally called in, but considering what happened at the Boston Marathon, I don't blame the local police for taking that precaution, even if their first inclination was that the object was a weather research instrument attached to a balloon.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The following video shows how a weather balloon and styrofoam insulation box can be used to take photographs of space using a HD digital camera:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by stormcell
The following video shows how a weather balloon and styrofoam insulation box can be used to take photographs of space using a HD digital camera:

Sorry if this was posted before and yes I did look but obviously not very carefully. It does appear that it was a balloon from what everyone has said. My only lingering suspicion is... If authorities knew it was a balloon why would they have to evacuate people from their houses/apts/condos? Why not take a few photos of it on the ground to pass out to the press or let the press snap some photos of it on thier own? It just seems odd the way they ( the authorities) reacted and handled this whole situation.
edit on 2-8-2013 by GArnold because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

...My only lingering suspicion is... If authorities knew it was a balloon why would they have to evacuate people from their houses/apts/condos? Why not take a few photos of it on the ground to pass out to the press? It just seems odd the way they ( the authorities) reacted and handled this whole situation.

Like the one article mentioned, police would rather people not investigate unknown abandoned packages on their own, and bomb squads are usually called in.

Consider the Boston Marathon bombing. It is becoming more "Standard Operating Procedure" for the police to call in the bomb squad when unknown packages are found. Most medium-sized cities have bomb squad units available to them now. A balloon could be a good way for e terrorists to deliver an explosive device -- even if the delivery system may not be able to get to a precise traget; some terrorists may not care about precise targets.

Consider the Japanese Fire balloons during WWII. One of them killed 6 people (5 children and a pregnant woman) in Oregon in 1945:

On May 5, 1945, a pregnant woman and five children were killed when they discovered a balloon bomb that had landed in the forest of Gearhart Mountain in Southern Oregon. Pastor Archie Mitchell and his pregnant wife Elsie drove up to Gearhart Mountain with five of their Sunday school students (aged 11–14) to have a picnic, and Elsie and the children got out of the car at Bly, Oregon, while Archie drove on to find a parking spot. As Elsie and the children looked for a good picnic spot, they saw a strange balloon lying on the ground. As the group approached the balloon, a bomb attached to it exploded and Elsie and all five children were killed....

Source: Japanese Fire Balloon

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Thanks.. Very interesting about the balloon bombs. Had never heard mention of that before at least in terms of any targeting the US. It does make sense to me now. Thanks for the replies.

top topics

join