It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope urges 'mutual respect' with Islam; While Iran Presidents threaten Israel

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

"We are called to respect the religion of the other, its teachings, its symbols, its values," he said in a statement distributed by the Vatican press office.

"I have decided to sign this traditional message myself and to send it to you, dear friends, as an expression of esteem and friendship for all Muslims, especially those who are religious leaders.

"We all know that mutual respect is fundamental in any human relationship, especially among people who profess religious belief," he said.

The statement was addressed "To Muslims Throughout the World" and the Vatican explained that the message has been traditional since 1967 but only John Paul II in 1991 previously sent a similar personal message.

Uh oh. This is gonna cause some friction, I bet!! I just wish the whole world would calm down a bit. Things are sliding off the edge of the cliff now, it seems.

How does Pope Francis intend to back THIS one up with the world climate of hate and violence now? I understand it's a "traditional message", that is supposed to be sent regularly - but it hasn't been sent since 1991.

I don't think it's going to be as popular as his other decisions have been so far - and I don't foresee sudden "mutual respect" gonna happen just because he called for it "traditionally."

What do you guys think??
(Of course, mutual respect IS A NOBLE goal, but...do you think it's possible anymore?)
edit on 2-8-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
He's a pope of peace, so I'd expect him to say something like this.
There are a lot of Christians living in Muslim countries who are treated poorly.
The pope wants their situations to improve. So he's asking for it.
I'm sure the response to this will be nothing and no change for the Christians.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Okay, that helps me relax a bit. Personally, as much as I try, I haven't managed to summon up a lot of respect for Islam. Perhaps at the very basic level it is about peace and harmony, but it sure as heck doesn't APPEAR that way now. Even the Muslims talk about how so many of their own people don't really read or know Koran - but, it's also true that not all Christians think alike either.

It would be great if everyone would just say, "Do what now? OH! Okay. Respect for you, and you, and you. Let's stop squabbling". But yeah - is it likely? Not.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Prompted me to do a search.

Here is a site which lists quite a few statements on Moslems.

www.usccb.org...

Seems consistent with their most recent statement.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
And here's what the out-going Iran President said today in his departure speech:
Iran's Ahmadinejad warns Israel will be 'uprooted'

Iran's outgoing President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad warned arch-foe Israel Friday in one of his last public speeches that a regional storm was brewing that would "uproot" the Jewish state.

"I will inform you with God as my witness, a devastating storm is on the way that will uproot the basis of Zionism," Ahmadinejad said in Quds (Jerusalem) Day remarks broadcast on state television.

Mmmhmmm. Not sounding like a Pope-defender. The incoming President has called Israel a "wound" on the Muslim world. This sounds scary ominous to me.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Pope urges 'mutual respect' with Islam; While Iran Presidents threaten Israel ,

Or alternatively:

Pope urges mutual respect with Islam, a religion that reveres Jesus as the Messiah.... and in completely unrelated news, Iran continues to have a problem with Israel.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

I added the Iranian threats because it's timely - but if you like, I can remove it and make a different thread on the hostility of Iran toward Israel.

Or, would you like to attack me some more and point fingers at the USA way of life? That seems to be your preference. And I've told you before, it's counter-productive. You don't like looking at the whole picture from any angle except your Muslim apologist one, and it's tiresome, sk0rp.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Or, would you like to attack me some more and point fingers at the USA way of life? That seems to be your preference. And I've told you before, it's counter-productive.

I'd rather stick to what I said above. That was in response to statements that you made in THIS thread. I'm not sure why you see that as an attack.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
OP, its also clear that you're trying to stir the pot with the thread title.
You're basically saying "Look how sweet these guys are, while those guys are being so mean".

You know very well that the two stories are unrelated, but you still decided to contrast them anyway.

Its really not too hard to find a feel good story about one group and then contrast it with an unrelated story about another group doing things most people wouldn't approve of.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
You're basically saying "Look how sweet these guys are, while those guys are being so mean".

Well .. the pope IS being sweet and the Iranian govenrment IS being mean.

That being said .. I'm sure his plea for mutual respect will fall on deaf ears with the leadership of Iran. They are the ones who think dead Venezuelan leader Chavez is going to come trumpeting in with the mythological Mahadi and turn the whole world Muslim
You just cant' reason with that kind of thinking.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Islamic world is seething, problems in Egypt and Syria not to forget continuing troubles in Israel. There is so much going on in Middle East that Pope´s words of peace and respect is rhetoric and won´t have much effect on Islamic countries.

If the goal is to have better condtions and respect for Christians who live in Middle East and islamic countries, timing is not right for the message to be heard.

I personally believe that this is a publicity stunt and nothing more. The target group is too busy to listen.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Uh oh. This is gonna cause some friction, I bet!! I just wish the whole world would calm down a bit. Things are sliding off the edge of the cliff now, it seems.

I don't know how a (semi) traditional statement of mutual respect for other religions can be interpreted as a bad thing.

Mmmhmmm. Not sounding like a Pope-defender. The incoming President has called Israel a "wound" on the Muslim world. This sounds scary ominous to me.

Actually he said "Zionism" and not the jewish people itself. Big difference.

The Zionist jews are basically like the neo cons we have in America. They think Israel should be the head of the world even through military means because that's the way God wants it.

Every time he says statements like this, it seems like the media takes off and runs with it as anti-semite when its really just anti-zionist.

They never mention that there is over 30,000 Jewish Iranians that live in no sort of government persecution in southern Iran. Israel has offered repeatedly to resettle them in Israel but they refuse to leave Iran because they consider themselves already home.

I think they just jump on every chance they can to make the guy look like some sort of evil James Bond villain with Nukuler weapons.
edit on 2-8-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
When Iran President's talk about Zionism everyone automatically labels it they are talking about Israel. They are doing this in this article.

"I will inform you with God as my witness, a devastating storm is on the way that will uproot the basis of Zionism," Ahmadinejad said in Quds (Jerusalem) Day remarks broadcast on state television.

Then they switch to the he is against Israel bit.

In a parting shot against Israel, which he has consistently targeted in public comments during eight years in power, Ahmadinejad said it "has no place in this region".

They always leave out how he was talking about the Zionist that are running Israel. Israel is supposed to be a Jewish state not a Zionist state.
edit on 2-8-2013 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
So this guy is an antichrist, betraying and walking away from the women and children in those countries being harmed, dominated and the barbaric primitive treatments of others. Current pope is a dark hat. Got the message, loud and clear. I know Rome is the sumarians and the dark hats, but they don't always bring it out thusly.

I preferred the one who stepped down. He may have had nazi roots as a child, but he named the telescope Lucifer, which is like a big poke with a stick. Wake up flock. The papal office didn't understand why something took place, the world didn't make sense, so they turned to conspiracy forums to make sense of it....A huge poke with a stick, wakie wakie flock. I mean he seemed to be trying to nudge people loose and get them to research.
edit on 2-8-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Maybe it was a reaction to your usual posting style (which you also give out as unsound advice to others) - to point out problems with the other person's lifestyle when yours is criticized - which is a stupid and ineffective way to have discussions. I expect all of your posts to be confrontational and oppositional, because that's my experience with you.

If you've changed your style, that'd be great!

I linked the two because the Pope is PROMOTING respect, while the MUSLIM leaders are certainly NOT.

The two are related, whether you like it or not.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

OP, its also clear that you're trying to stir the pot with the thread title.
I didn't fill the pot with hate stew....and for these two headlines to come out simultaneously DOES relate the two. It's simply TIMING. Or, are you suggesting that religious strife is a non-event?

If so, you are being deliberately naive. If not, you need to wake up to world politics and religious contention.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

If the goal is to have better condtions and respect for Christians who live in Middle East and islamic countries, timing is not right for the message to be heard.

Exactly. The timing is abysmal, but I guess it coincides with a traditional day of holiness or some such thing.

Actually, I understood the message as a plea for Christians to back off of Islam...so, you see...it's difficult to navigate what the world leaders mean and what is really going on.

Thanks for your contribution.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

I don't know how a (semi) traditional statement of mutual respect for other religions can be interpreted as a bad thing.

You are spot on with this. Yes, calling for respect IS a VERY good thing - I just think it's too little, too late, and at the most volatile moment we've seen yet (in recent times).

Right after the peace talks that once again went sour?

Maybe I read too much news, and too much into the news, but this is all swirling out of control, I think.
Thanks for your post, though CW, always a pleasure!.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Good point. Have to remember the "spin". Strangely enough, Reuters is one of the few sources I thought were fairly erm, I mean 'reasonably and relatively' unbiased.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
The timing is abysmal,

There will never be a perfect time for the pope to make a statement of peace and respect to the Muslim people. That part of the world is always in chaos. Ya' know?? He's just gotta' say it and hope that something sticks (which I doubt anything will)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join