It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another tin foil hat conspircay comes true. Your TV can watch you

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Defcon,

read the article I posted earlier. It describes how it was tested on voting machines as a proof of concept. The machines were CRT.

In the paper, Van Eck reports that in February 1985 a successful test of this concept was carried out with the cooperation of the BBC. Using a van filled with electronic equipment and equipped with a VHF antenna array, they were able to eavesdrop from a "large distance".

edit on 2-8-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

A speaker is essentially a diaphragm that vibrates generating sound waves. You can invert the polarity of that speaker to capture sound waves that bounce back off the diaphragm.

A TV whether it is CRT, LCD, LED, Plasma, etc... Generates light waves. It has no way of capturing light waves back. Reversing it, does not turn it into a camera.

The pixels on a CRT are coated with a substance that glows for a few seconds when charged with light that comes from the ray guns at the back of the tube. Those guns are one way, they only project electrons out to make the pixels glow. The “glowing chemicals” on the screen cannot send information back into the guns. There is nothing to “shoot” the electrons back into the gun from across the vacuum of the tube.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Here, I found you a picture of how a CRT works.

The arrow is the electron coming from the gun to light the chemical phosphorus on the front of the tube. There is no way to make that phosphorus shoot an electron back to the guns, and even if you could, the guns cannot capture it nor would they know what “line” the electron came from.

BWT, the anode is EXTREMLY high voltage, it uses a voltage tripler to bend the electron stream from the guns. You should never mess with the inside of a CRT if you don't know what you are doing because it is one of the few appliances that actually can kill you. It retains that voltage for indefinite periods of time after unplugged as the capacitors store all the electricity. I've melted screwdrivers removing the anode.
edit on 8/2/2013 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
Ha! My point exactly. For years this has been said and known, but now the msm is acknowledging the issue. Try telling your co workers you are being spied on by your tv and see what kind of looks you get.
CJ

That rumor goes back to the days of Cathode ray Tube TV sets. The thought at the time seemed to be that because you could reverse the speaker, thereby turning it into a microphone, you could do the same with the CRT. This was not true though, it was just illogical thinking on some folks part.

Today, with all the smart appliances made for motion capture, video conference, etc... It's a different story all together...

Yes, the rumor indeed. What is it they say? Whatever we discover regarding tech has been exploited by the gov departments 20 years ago? Forward thinking peoples saw this disaster coming because frankly it is inevitable. BTW, thanks for joining the thread!

CJ

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Yes, I am very aware of how a CRT works.

So are these people that were able to do it.

ETA:
By the way, it is the capacitors that actually retain the voltage.
The easiest and safest way to discharge it is to use a high wattage resistor to lay across the leads.
edit on 2-8-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

But the difference being the camera on the tv. It can be hacked, easily, to watch the viewer. Is this not scary to you?

CJ

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
reply to post by ColoradoJens

I doubt its a mandate from above but i'm sure the spooks are loving it as this is the sort of stuff a few years ago they'd be creaming themselves to get into as many houses as possible

Maybe not a mandate, but surely they realize more and more have to have the latest...

CJ

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum
So are these people that were able to do it.

Not from what I read. It looks like they were able to pick up what was on the screen from a distance and recreate that locally, but not see what was going on in front of the screen. So for example, on a computer CRT monitor, they could remotely read and reconstruct the pixels as they appeared on the screen. So they could see what the user was doing on the computer (what was typed), but not what the user was physically doing in front of the screen (what they were wearing, if they were scratching, etc).

On a voting machine, it means they could remotely tell what you voted for/against because they could see what boxes were checked on the screen.

By the way, it is the capacitors that actually retain the voltage.

Yeah, I know, I said that above:

Originally posted by defcon5
It retains that voltage for indefinite periods of time after unplugged as the capacitors store all the electricity.

The capacitors are what make the voltage tripler.

The easiest and safest way to discharge it is to use a high wattage resistor to lay across the leads.

We used to use an insulated handle screw driver with a grounding cable. I believe that the grounding cable had a resister in it.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
reply to post by defcon5

But the difference being the camera on the tv. It can be hacked, easily, to watch the viewer. Is this not scary to you?

CJ

Well, yes now, because they are putting a camera in the set housing.
But my point was that the old rumor was just a rumor because a reversed CRT is not a camera.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Btw, there is an easy solution to that problem. I use it on my laptop that has a built in camera in the lid.
You simply put a small piece of painters tape over the lens when you are not using it. Painters tape works the best because it does not leave tape residue behind.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

The capacitors are what make the voltage tripler.

Actually it is Diodes that multiply the voltage through the configuration of a half-wave rectifier. It is the capacitors that retain the voltage.

We used to use an insulated handle screw driver with a grounding cable. I believe that the grounding cable had a resister in it.

That makes more sense as using a non insulated screw driver puts you in danger of becoming the ground.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Yeah it becomes true NOW . But when sets lacked the capability to transmit data it was just that some unfounded speculation. But now that tvs come with cameras and internet let me tell you the government is not interested in you oh... wait...

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens
reply to post by elouina

The problem is sooner or later all electronic devices will have something like this....is this some kind of mandate from above?

CJ

This morning I was keeping an eye on the bastard clan, channel 5, NBC in Chicago.
They were discussing some electronics show or somesuch. I wish I had taped it, as it was fairly obscene. Usually I don't see persons spreading their legs unless I want to see it.

"Oh boy, it seems that everything is connected and interactive these days. I guess the best
thing to do would be to embrace it."

"That's right Jolene. These items are in all the stores and selling fast, because we've accepted
technology and the convenience that it brings..."

The memes went on for a bit and I had lost interest, wondering if "Burn Notice" was on, instead. It wasn't.

Anyways, they were pimpin large.

# 721
edit on 19-3-2017 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
People tend to be unaware of side channel attacks. Sometimes encryption, for instance, doesn't need to be broken if the information can be captured via some side channel. Not your everyday hack but where there is a will...

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I've taken to flipping off the weather man every-time I see him.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join