It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More ROD footage taken over Melbourne, Australia.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikell
I have several low medium and HD video cameras and have beed taking pictures for several decades.

ROD'S

Still laughing!!!

Cool !
Post up some of your " ROD" pics.

( and explain the shutter speed effect on an image capture
)
edit on 2-8-2013 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by hazchem
I wonder If these are just bugs too

www.youtube.com...

The videos in your OP look like shooting stars/meteors. They could also be insects, but it's not important. What's important is that there's no such things as "rods".

Take the video I quoted above, for instance. Do you honestly think that if there were that many "rods" flying around above someone, that they couldn't catch just one of them for examination? Or all the years that these "rods" have been flying around, and nobody has caught just one for examination?

It's because they don't exist. "Rods" only exist on camera media due to long exposure, or poor frame rate recording.

In the video I quoted above, you can tell if a camera has poor frame rate or long exposure enabled because everything else will become elongated/blurred as well. The building and other stationary objects in the background also become blurred/elongated if you pay attention. It just happens more-so with insects because they're moving faster.

Take these images, for example:

Are those rods in the above image? No. They are stars being elongated due to long exposure. Now the next image:

The blinking lights on the aircraft are equivalent to the flapping wings on insects in long-exposure images.

Moral of the story: "rods" are insects photoed/videoed with long-exposure turned on, or with a very poor camera that has a low frame rate, poor exposure settings (like many cell phone cameras or very cheap web cameras).

P.S.> Since "rods" aren't real and are just insects, the video I quoted you posting above is a hoax video. The person filming would have known he was filming only insects, but turned those insects into "rods" due to a camera setting, or just plain having a poor camera. Either way, the video was created as a hoax to fool people like you who are gullible-enough to believe it.

edit on 2-8-2013 by _BoneZ_ because: sp

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
To add to what _BoneZ_ and Soylent have both perfectly explained, check out this experiment with two cameras, one low-speed and another hi-speed.

Extract from History Channel documentary:

edit on 2-8-2013 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by hazchem

Look like a meteor like this one but shorter duration

Ho and those are not cloud they are the Northern light camera turn itself to B/W for night viewing.

edit on 2-8-2013 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
That long exposure Moth image was freaking cool!

I believe it's pretty obvious they are insects in the op and that it answers a possible phenomenon but I would like to point one bit of info about how we keep discovering new species of critters all the time and it does not seem to be stopping.

Here is a bit from an interesting article about the amount of new species discovered total in 2011:

The latest State of Observed Species report is out. And biologists might have just earned the title of Hardest-Working People in Science, discovering a staggering 19,232 species in just one year, including nearly 10,000 new types of insects.

From article

Unsurprisingly, insects and invertebrates made up the vast majority of the newly discovered species, totaling 13,903 previously unknown species. Beetles were the most common discoveries, accounting for 3,485 in all, including 568 rove beetles, 421 ground beetles, 369 long-horned beetles, 356 leaf beetles, and 228 scarab beetles. Most of the rest of the new species were made up of plants, fungi, and microbes.

Full article link: io9.com...

I really like the quote from Arizona State entomologist Quentin Wheeler:

"As the number of species increases, so too does our understanding of the biosphere. It is through knowledge of the unique attributes of species that we illuminate the origin and evolutionary history of life on our planet. As we find out where species live and how they interact, we increase our ability to understand the function of ecosystems and make effective, fact-based decisions regarding conservation."

We live in an amazing time! For discoveries that is, for some other stuff...not so much lol.

edit on 8/2/2013 by mcx1942 because: typo

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Timely

I'm not going to bother look it up and rods will be explained.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Bug's , CGI, Weather ballons, Chinesse lantern's or digital artifacts.

These things reign all supreme on the UFO boards these days don't they.. what's wrong with a bit of leeway for the new guy.. who just happens to be right where most of Austraila's recent sightings have occurred.

Oh that's right.. there' no such thing as UFO's huh.. makes me wonder what many of you are even doing on this board.. on second thought.. no.. i don't wonder.

Must make you all feel so awesome to crush someone's hopes heh, there's a thing called tact that many are lacking here at ATS lately.. it's outright debunk everything or throw a snide remark.

I wonder how a certain owner of this site feels about it? as it's his thing you poo poo on daily by being in a forum just to smack newbies down in their first few days.. just for seeing something you didn't and bringing it here..

OP isn't the only one to "not bother" with this site anymore in regards to UFO's and for the same reasons.

Too many "experts" here.. not alot of faith in anything other than cynicism.. sad man.. just sad.

I'd say something in regards to the OP's post, but there gone, and I barley blame them.

The fact however stands that Melbourne has been UFO central lately.. so much so im jealous of them.. like what's so special down there.. Aliens must love art and music.. as they stay the frack away from Sydney it seems. OP had a legit capture i believe, but you all wanted to be right so OP's gone now.. this isn't the way to conduct investigations. But it's what ATS has become (on this forum at least)

edit on 2-8-2013 by Xarian6 because: meh.. spellin..

edit on 2-8-2013 by Xarian6 because: .

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xarian6
...I wonder how a certain owner of this site feels about it? as it's his thing you poo poo on daily by being in a forum just to smack newbies down in their first few days.. just for seeing something you didn't and bringing it here.

First of all, I don't smack newbies around just for posting their opinions/ideas about a sighting. Granted, 'mikell' and 'Nomad451' should have been more polite, but for the most part the people on this thread have been generally polite to the OP.

Secondly, I think the Site Owners picked the motto for ATS -- "Deny Ignorance" -- very carefully and deliberately. The first video looks like nothing but a streak in the sky. Those streaks looked very much like meteors or even possible bugs caught in the light from a porch light. Pointing this out would be "Denying Ignorance".

The second batch of videos he posted of purported "rods" looked obviously like the video interlacing artifact of most video cameras. In fact, the entire "flying rod" phenomenon has been been shown to be nothing more than moths and other bugs caught on video. It has been explained many times that the strange artifact is akin to motion blur caused by video interlacing.

Again, politely pointing out to the OP that flying rods are nothing more than an illusion caused by the video camera is not "smacking him around", but rather it is "Denying Ignorance", and I think the site owner(s) would appreciate this denying of ignorance.

I suppose we could all ignore the possible meteor and/or video interlacing explanations, and say "Gee OP -- You're right. It must be the mysterious flying rods", but what purpose would ignoring those other explanations serve?

edit on 8/2/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by hazchem

yes, all bugs. Someone hasn't been outside at night ever..or you would know that bugs flying really fast in and out of light, make a blurry trail behind them

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikell
reply to post by Timely

I'm not going to bother look it up and rods will be explained.

I have.

Just thought you may have offered a bit more to help the OP understand a little better.

Seeing as you have decades of experience and you laughed that " condescending " laugh.

I assumed it would have been easy.

Sorry, got it wrong.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by hazchem

I'm never posting here again.

Why do that, as you did ask for feedback did you not?

I would appreciate your feedback.

The only person you can be angry at is yourself..

Just remember this next time you ask for feedback...

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by hazchem
reply to post by mikell

You do realize that the object in the frame is IN FOCUS right? And, it has perfect symmetry. No blurs. It seems you know nothing about digital technology.

Still laughing?

That shows you don't actually understand camera/shutter speeds/fps etc etc.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by hazchem

Hazchem, you seem like a decent enough person with a real thirst for knowledge and kindred spirits - which is obviously why you found your way to ATS. Don't let the A**holes get you down.

"Rods" have been thoroughly investigated and debunked. ATS features literally HUNDREDS (If not more) threads on the topic. I suggest you learn to use the search function (It is your friend
), review the xisting threads and feel free to resurrect any of those older threads by relying your thoughts. That thread will immediately find it way onto the "Recent Thread" board and could spark new debate.

Welcome aboard and enjoy!

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

I'd say something in regards to the OP's post, but there gone, and I barley blame them.

Yeah, being exposed to the truth is rough.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Bug's , CGI, Weather ballons, Chinesse lantern's or digital artifacts.

These things reign all supreme on the UFO boards these days don't they.. what's wrong with a bit of leeway for the new guy.. who just happens to be right where most of Austraila's recent sightings have occurred.

Oh that's right.. there' no such thing as UFO's huh.. makes me wonder what many of you are even doing on this board.. on second thought.. no.. i don't wonder.

Must make you all feel so awesome to crush someone's hopes heh, there's a thing called tact that many are lacking here at ATS lately.. it's outright debunk everything or throw a snide remark.

I wonder how a certain owner of this site feels about it? as it's his thing you poo poo on daily by being in a forum just to smack newbies down in their first few days.. just for seeing something you didn't and bringing it here..

OP isn't the only one to "not bother" with this site anymore in regards to UFO's and for the same reasons.

Too many "experts" here.. not alot of faith in anything other than cynicism.. sad man.. just sad.

The fact however stands that Melbourne has been UFO central lately.. so much so im jealous of them.. like what's so special down there.. Aliens must love art and music.. as they stay the frack away from Sydney it seems. OP had a legit capture i believe, but you all wanted to be right so OP's gone now.. this isn't the way to conduct investigations. But it's what ATS has become (on this forum at least)

edit on 2-8-2013 by Xarian6 because: meh.. spellin..

edit on 2-8-2013 by Xarian6 because: .

The FACT is that Bonnybridge near were I live in Scotland is the UFO capital of the world and that only happened when an small airport was opened in a nearby town
, no wait Mexico is the UFO capital of the world, no wait now it's Australia

UFO's are big business don't worry about the OP he will know doubt find some site on the internet were everyone will agree with him and give him a good old pat on the back on site were the motto is not DENY IGNORANCE, EVEN when there is plenty of proof ROD's dont exist and they are just an effect caused by shutter speed/fps of the cameras filming them plenty of photographers/videographers on here with more knowledge and expertise of the process than the OP he still can't accept it.

I believe in ALIENS there are bound to be some somewhere out there do they visit here that's the part that needs real proof and it's really strange in this day and age with almost everyone in the UFO hotspots with camera phones/cameras/video cameras the best we see is points of lights at night in the distance.

Whats really frustrating is when one of them seems to have a kind of half descent camera to film or video they don't have the skill to use them properly just look at the youtube videos linked to on here.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Being an alien [hyperbole] I sometimes feel the need to defend a human such as the op in this thread. Much of
UFO phenomena is explained as being anything but alien - it is the paradigm of those who don't believe and don't
want to believe that there is alien intelligence apart from human - On the other hand some of us believe there must
be intelligence somewhere else in a vast universe since there isn't much on Earth. But getting back to the so-called
rods which of course could easily be any number of optical illusions, I recall a book I read quite a few years ago.
I can't recall the name or author but basically what he found in aiming an infra-red camera at the sky was all kinds
of things like rods and more that that they seemed to move with intelligent volition. My own view theorizes that
some UFO phenomena may be in the form of 'energy beings' who if real might have the ability to appear in material
form and then return back to a state of energy - would help to explain how your so-called aliens could travel vast distances.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
shooting star

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join