It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toronto police officer gets paid vacation for shooting teen 9 times

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I find it so naive to think that their isn't a double standard when it comes to crimes and the courts.

There is one standard for those in authority and those with money.

And another standard for the rest of us.

How many of those guilty of white collar crimes "walk" even though it devastated the lives of others? This is the true face of justice in America.

And with the advent of corporate privately owned and run prisons. The judges will be encouraged to hand out long sentences for BS non violent crimes.

edit on 2-8-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

we don't operate under any of those things, or haven't you looked out the window lately? i think the video, more than adequately, shows sufficient evidence gathered that indicate guilt of wrong doing eyt the "cop" is off with pay.

Haha
Really, you want me to consider your perception of our legal system as how things actually run. I am not sure what the view is like from your window, but I advise you not to let your opinion be formed from such a narrow sighted aspect.

I am not arguing about the innocent or guilt of the individuals involved..How many times must I reiterate that. I am trying to address the suspension of the officer and to argue against the OP's position that a "vacation" was gifted to the individuals involved for a death.

My opinion on the justifiability of the murder, is that excessive force WAS used. That is not the topic of discussion however.

yeah i'm unsure of what you're getting on about but in any case do you honestly think if it was you or I in that video doing the shooting, that we would be home doing our everyday things without issue?

cop= keeps job, gets time off with pay, innocent until proven guilty.
citizen= gets handcuffed, taken in, has to post bail, looses job, has to prove innocence.

am i getting it correct?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

You have got it bang on. I was remanded into custody for 3 mths while pleading innocent to a stabbing I'd been accused of. They didn't have any video footage of me carrying out the crime I was accused of, but being arrested in the area and matching a description was enough to put paid to my thoughts of going home to my own bed, or on any holiday.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Mental Illness is a potential Capital Crime now. It is hardly possible for a person on a bus to be a threat to a person (ie police) outside the bus....unless he was skilled at knife throwing and he had a good angle. The cop was jacked up ("danger, danger, Will Robinson") and tragically overreacted. But worse still he did not stop with the first 3 shot barrage as he paused and then shot 6 more times (and then either he or another office tasered the youth who was probably already dead to make it look like he was tasered first and then he lunched at them with a knife). The "officer" should be charged with 2nd degree murder (or canadian equivalent, if different) and loss of pension and the city should open the checkbook for the family.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

As I've said, the simply truth is, if that person on the bus had been a relative of any of those cops that were at the scene, this would have been handled entirely differently, but because there was nobody there to immediately vouch for him not being a monster who deserved exterminating, we got what we saw.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

I am not saying the officers involved are not guilty of excessive force or not, but to claim that they will simply be relaxing on vacation is ridiculous to me.

Ya... that was a mix of sarcasm and disgust...

Nine bullets to take down a 17 year old boy with a knife... It wasn't like a machete... We're talking a 3 inch blade... Nine shots could take down a moose... The taser would have been sufficient... but no...

Nine shots... at damn near point blank range... then a taser.... Im sorry but that is F****D up!

That was a cold blooded murder... straight up!!

And the worse part about this aside from the death of a 17 year old boy... Is that this cop will probably get off scott free... no charges... Still remain on active duty... I'd bet on it! That is why I called it a "paid vacation"

That cop should be charged, fired... and tossed in prison...

That wasn't even excessive force....

That was murder...

:shk:
edit on 2-8-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

The officer is not in detention because he has not been formally charged with a crime... That makes sense right? His suspension is the result of standard procedure to remove him from the investigation to prevent any prejudice that may result in his or her own guilt/innocence.

If guilt is established or enough evidence against the individual is gathered, then said individual will be detained and granted the opportunity to defend ones innocence. Its called due process and as it currently stands I am not aware of any formal charges being laid, thus no reason to detain the individual. Perhaps you a referring to some other legal system I am not familiar with, where everyone is guilty until proven innocent?

So if I listen to you I should set up a legal advice firm. When a suspected murderer is picked up on the street, he can just say, "Innocent, I'm innocent, you can't detain me."

In Toronto (Where this happened) people do not get off as easy as police do. And it's been shown many times in the past. The SIU is heavily criticized. Police are treated differently when they are on the other side of the law, facing the courts, or facing just an investigation.

The blue shield is nothing new. It's nothing tightly hidden or never spoken about.

Hell, I have LEOs in my family and they would just as soon admit it as will I.

You are completely off your rocker here. You think that police do not get preferential treatment, and if they are under investigation for crimes like murder or negligent homicide, they should get a paid vacation and no one should even think of the possibility of them actually might being guilty.

Ok.

Forget they themselves believe they shouldn't go to jail when faced with the rare situation:

Defence lawyer Harry Black urged the judge to give Sandhu a conditional sentence of nine to 12 months in the community because jail for a cop is harsh and dangerous. The 14-year veteran would likely serve his time locked in segregation for his own protection with just 20 minutes a day out of his cell and “those conditions are not fit for anybody,” Black complained.

“How can the Crown say you should sentence this man to real jail when we all know the real risks because it’s a sexual offence and he’s a police officer?”

Does that mean that cops who commit crimes don’t have to go to prison because they may have to do harder time than other inmates? “

www.torontosun.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Update

www.cbc.ca...

A Toronto police officer has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of Sammy Yatim, the 18-year old shot on a streetcar last month.

A statement issued Monday from Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit says the actions of Const. James Forcillo in the downtown Toronto incident this summer justify a charge of second-degree murder.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Well... needless to say I was wrong... though admittedly I am shocked...

The officer involved with this was charged with 2nd degree murder...

I guess our system isn't entirely broken... thank God

Thanks Snowspirit

edit on 19-8-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

You know, there are good cops out there, who joined for the right reasons and under certain circumstances it forces them to react in ways they didnt think possible.

Which is exactly why they should deplore the people who give them a bad name. They should be fighting for more stringent controls, like if a police officer is found guilty they must submit all their suspension earned income, or, unpaid suspensions and if they are found innocent they get the money in back pay.

People often complain about the public being too hard on police officers, but it's only a symptom of them not being hard enough on themselves.

If someone is a cancer to your industry, your profession, your livelihood, they need to be smoked out and terminated.

ETA:

I just realize this is an older thread and I've already replied to it...
edit on 19-8-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

If someone is a cancer to your industry, your profession, your livelihood, they need to be smoked out and terminated.

Agreed, and which may come to fruition in this latest case as the officer has now been formally charged.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
reply to post by boncho

Agreed, and which may come to fruition in this latest case as the officer has now been formally charged.

Just another quick update on this... the cop was formally charged... but not convicted as of yet...

In Toronto there have been 12 officers "formally charged" in the past with murder... NONE of the charges have ever stuck...

So we'll see how things turn out...

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Update

Well... i wrote this thread back in August 2013...

Guess whos back on the job...

That's right... paid Vacation for murder...

What a world

edit on 24-4-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join