It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans committed the worst genocide in world history

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

My ancestors were not in on that, you can't pin it on all of the Americans.

If I was trying to pin it on you, I would have to pin it on myself also. Maybe my title was misleading, my Op ends with the question "Astounding how stupid the whole world is collectively. We are smart individually but like a Zombie collectively. Can anybody explain this? "

This is not primarily about what happened 200 years ago, it is about what is happening today in classrooms around the country.

'Glossed over' you might say, whatever. Take a step back, notice that what we deem unacceptable for another country is perfectly excusable when it concerns about ourselves.

This is not because of you, nor our ancestors, or any individual, it is that our collective mind functions differently than our individual mind. You are yourself at home, but when you're at a football game you transform, you become somebody else. Not another individual but you become part of a collective mind.

Things you would not do otherwise now you enjoy doing. Strange but I hope you will recognize it.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingHuman

I'm content to take the statistics you quoted as accurate. They don't signify, however, that 47 million Native Americans were put to death the same way that Hitler put six million Jews to death, or even the same way that some sixty million people died in the Second World War.

The Native American population declined over several generations. Diseases communicated by European settlers accounted for many; war, massacre and ethnic cleansing for many more. But 'natural' decrease, that is, people dying of natural causes and not being replaced by fresh births, probably accounted for the greatest proportion of the decline, over a period of five hundred years.

Of course, if you look at the reasons for this 'natural' decrease, you would probably find that much of it was due, directly or indirectly, to the devastating impact of European cultures (as planted in the New World by settlers whom history tells us were proud indeed to call themselves Americans) on indigenous ones. Still, this is a very long way from genocide.

It is also worth considering that what happened in America happened, to a greater or lesser extent, everywhere. The worldwide surge of exploration, conquest and conversion that began at the end of the fifteenth century brought European culture into confrontation with every other culture in the world. In most cases the impact was devastating, and American was by no means the only country in the world whose native population suffered a decline in the aftermath.

Yet the conquistadors and their successors rarely, if ever, intended genocide. Natives died because of expropriation, exploitation, transplantation, administrative neglect and corruption, individual acts of cruelty, well-meaning but deadly social and moral 'improvements' to their way of life, and sometimes for ungratefully taking up arms against their foreign 'civilisers'. Nobody wanted to wipe them out, but it happened anyway.

edit on 2/8/13 by Astyanax because: it happened anyway.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingHuman

Really? Care to break it down by the historical dates? America is a relatively new country. The continent was ruled by several different countries. Care to approximate as per how many Indians were butchered after America was born?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

Those Indians were not as evolved as us Caucasians, genetically inferior in fact.
Darwinism taught they were not even human, like Irish and Jews.
Dont blame any one for killing of sub humans like Indians or even Aboriginals in Australia. they were not humans, dont deserve to waste good oxygen on them either.

Indians Irish Jews Aboriginals were subhuman, so said Darwin

Aside from being off-topic, this is libel. So is the link you posted, which is full of lies and false claims. Neither Darwin nor 'Darwinism' ever taught that any ethnic group (or any member of the species Homo Sapiens was 'subhuman.' I challenge you to show me a passage in any of Darwin's works where he says anything of the kind. As for 'genetically inferior', the word 'gene' hadn't even been coined at the time The Origin of Species was published.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

Sometimes I think people post so they can read what they write and pat themselves on the back for a job well done.

In this case you're a party of one.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

Yet the conquistadors and their successors rarely, if ever, intended genocide. Natives died because of expropriation, exploitation, transplantation, administrative neglect and corruption, individual acts of cruelty, well-meaning but deadly social and moral 'improvements' to their way of life, and sometimes for ungratefully taking up arms against their foreign 'civilisers'. Nobody wanted to wipe them out, but it happened anyway.

Let me suggest that you were brainwashed. Sorry, you may disagree with me, I understand. But I believe the settlers had guns and riffles. This was not for hunting deer. They came to this country and took it (the land) away from others. Didn't they?

I am not pretending that the settlers were like Caligula. But they still killed the Indians.

What you said about the time of explorers I also agree. But are we hunting for excuses? What if a new 'excuse' comes along in the future, say terrorism? We would have to elliminate those more than Indians, wouldn't we?

Will history repeat itself? I thought that is why we were learning about history in the first place, wasn't it? Thanks.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch
Aaaahh you Yanks..Those Indians were not as evolved as us Caucasians, genetically inferior in fact.
I bet Hitler must have thought the same about Brits before bombarding London. Britain invaded many countries and claimed other civilizations knowledge as their own (the brits were very well known for that). Lets be real please.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

Really? Care to break it down by the historical dates? America is a relatively new country. The continent was ruled by several different countries. Care to approximate as per how many Indians were butchered after America was born?
You seem to have the number already, why don't you offer it? Notice in my OP I made it clear that the exact number was not the main issue, if it could even be determined.

My focus is on the reaction and the instruction we get TODAY, and what we should learn from it for the FUTURE.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
In answer to the OP, let's roll the history back, way back. In New England, there are some very old stone ruins of Old World origin. Some say Irish, some say Israelite, some say Phoenician, etc, etc, etc. The Native American legend is that the newcomers kept increasing in number, until the tribes began to worry about their future. A council was held by all tribes east of the Mississippi, and a plan was made to kill them all in a single day. When that day came, the natives, who had been very friendly with the newcomers, even visiting in their homes, rose up as one man, and killed them all. The difference is that the White Man regretted what he did...

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
When speaking of killing off the native inhabitants shouldn't all of the America's be included? North, South, and Central America. That would change the numbers and it is hardly fair to blame US Americans when it was Spanish and European interference that decimated the populace.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Uh, it was the white man who got wiped out in Custer's Last Stand.

Just sayin'...

What came before and after Custer is the bigger story. Lies and Broken treaties.

An Indian who is as bad as the white men could not live in our nation; he would be put to death, and eaten up by the wolves. The white men are bad schoolmasters; they carry false books, and deal in false actions; they smile in the face of the poor Indian to cheat him; they shake them by the hand to gain their confidence, to make them drunk, to deceive them, and ruin our wives. We told them to leave us alone, and keep away from us; they followed on, and beset our paths, and they coiled themselves among us, like the snake. They poisoned us by their touch. We were not safe. We lived in danger. We were becoming like them, hypocrites and liars, adulterous lazy drones, all talkers and no workers. .. .

The white men do not scalp the head; but they do worse-they poison the heart.. . . Farewell, my nation! . .. Farewell to Black Hawk.

www.historyisaweapon.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

Originally posted by borntowatch
Aaaahh you Yanks..Those Indians were not as evolved as us Caucasians, genetically inferior in fact.
I bet Hitler must have thought the same about Brits before bombarding London. Britain invaded many countries and claimed other civilizations knowledge as their own (the brits were very well known for that). Lets be real please.

Actually, Hitler admired the British, and wanted peace with them. He must have thought they were good Aryans. He had London bombed because of what the RAF did to Hamburg. You need to dig a little deeper than the History 101 level.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingHuman

It's a lame excuse but you are entitled to believe it.

Whats "lame" about it?

They teach it in school also........

I think I was right on page 1. Nothing but a "blame the old USA" thread.

Meh......

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short

In answer to the OP, let's roll the history back, way back. In New England, there are some very old stone ruins of Old World origin. Some say Irish, some say Israelite, some say Phoenician, etc, etc, etc. The difference is that the White Man regretted what he did...

Lets pretend for a moment that 200 years ago these settlers, who we may or may not be related to, committed 'genocide', whatever that is. Lets pretend again, we today learn in school that this 'genocide' wasn't really what it appeared to be, in reality people just died from diseases. In this 'pretend-scenario', if we believe the fake story, does that make us stupid? No, because we learned this since childhood, when we were easy to influence, easy to indoctrinate. They did not have 'Hitler-Youth' out of benevolence!

It was further cemented into our brains because we were, and are, part of a group that believes the same things, therefore it must be correct. At least, so it seems.

Our inability to recognize the story as being fake causes us also to be unable to see the next one coming.

edit on 2-8-2013 by ThinkingHuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

It's a lame excuse but you are entitled to believe it.

Whats "lame" about it?
They teach it in school also........

Did you just hit the nail on its head?

They teach it in school.... government school.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Which is unfortunate.

Sure the US subjugated the Indians. We are at a point now where we all have some native heritage. My great, great grandmother marched the Trail of Tears. It is how my grandmother was born in Oklahoma.

The real damage was two fold:

- We introduced disease. Initially, not something that was considered. ONce it was seen to be so effective, it was weaponized. When i say "we" I refer to the European "we", or "white man" as my grandmothers stories use to refer to us.

- We destroyed culture. To such an extent that no former languages are really spoken, and entire written histories were lost.

It is Western culture that did this. Some of it American, most of it European (our cultural ancestors).

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Nobody wanted to wipe them out, but it happened anyway.

You make it sound like an accident that happened centuries ago and we should just let it go.

On November 6, 1976, the Government Accounting Office (GAO) released the results of its investigation into similar events at four of twelve IHS areas (Albuquerque, Aberdeen, Oklahoma City, and Phoenix). Records verified that the IHS performed 3,406 sterilizations between 1973 and 1976.[iv] “Tip of the iceberg” is indeed an appropriate metaphor. Per capita, this figure would be equivalent to sterilizing 452,000 non-Native American women.[v]Albuquerque contracted out their sterilizations to local, non-IHS physicians; therefore their region inaccurately added zero procedures to the government count. Independent research estimated that as many as 25-50% of Native American women were sterilized between 1970 and 1976.[vi]Independent verifications were critical. The GAO did not interview a single women subjected to sterilization. The GAO also admitted that “contract” physicians were not required to comply with any federal regulations (including informed consent) in the context of these surgical procedures. Study of consent forms utilized revealed that three different forms were in use. It also appeared the “consent,” in many instances, was obtained through coercion.

On a Navaho reservation alone, from 1972-1978, there was a 130% increase in abortions (a ratio of abortions per 1000 deliveries increasing from 34 to 77).[vii] The same study demonstrated that between 1972 and 1978, sterilization procedures went from 15.1% to 30.7% of total female surgeries on that one reservation. Healthcare professionals’ coercive tactics included the threat of withdrawing future healthcare provisions or custody of Native American children already born—if consent for sterilization was withheld.[viii] The scandal of this replay of earlier twentieth century eugenic programs and genocidal tactics led to a congressional hearing (Senator James Abourzek, Democrat, South Dakota), but little else in terms of publicity, justice, or public outcry. It has also not been scrutinized from a careful bioethical perspective.

cbhd.org...

I'm betting you didn't know genocide could be so ~ accidental and unintended.

But don't worry, we're all Indians now. Just ask Bill Gates and Monsanto.
doowansnewsandevents.wordpress.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph

I am floored anyone could blame disease for the planned genocide of the native american people by the U.S government. IT WAS STATE SANCTIONED POLICY.

Nobody has said America didn't play its Part in the decimation of Indians. But..............

You cant even put disease, which did wipe out a vast majority, as a BIG contributor to it. When settlers arrived what the hell do you think happened?

Come on. Use some common sense. Its still happening today in remote Jungles in the Amazon.

The alert has been raised by the Brazilian NGO the Center for Indigenous Work (Centro de Trabalho Indigenista- CTI). The Korubo are one of the tribes living in the Javari Valley indigenous territory in the western Brazilian Amazon, where outbreaks of disease, particularly Hepatitis B and D, are devastating the indigenous population.

Disease kills 15% of recently contacted tribe in past decade

15%. Modern day. Just think what the Death toll was WITHOUT Medicine 200 years ago.
edit on 2-8-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Which is unfortunate.
Sure the US subjugated the Indians.
It is Western culture that did this.

Of course, a "culture that did this". Not a person, nobody who needs to take responsibility for his actions. Very convenient.

"subjugated"? Sounds better than "murdered" or "slaughtered" or "genocide", yes, lets go wit that.

Indeed, unfortunate.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

There is no denying that it didn't happen. For me "Genocide" cant be labeled with a top ten list. Its pathetic to do it.
There has been so much outright killing done, that labels dilute what really happened. The label of Americans committed the worst genocide in world history could be affixed to Countless Countries. For ANYONE to say differently is only looking at it with selective reasoning.

I just thought the thread was a lame excuse to Bash America and Label them the Worst EVER. So far, that's what I'm seeing.

Peace.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join