It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate change may increase violence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
This is a fascinating article. I agree with this, in cold places people are generally mellow, and in hot climates people tend to be more emotional and prone to getting out of control. You just have to look at Africa and the middle East for confirmation of this.

www.cnn.com...

Climate change may increase violence, study shows

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I think much of that "news" has been known for a long time. I recall reading in OMNI magazine back in the early 1980's about a link between hot weather and violent behaviour.
But I do like how this study went further and also found links to wars, coups, civil wars, etc...

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
What explains the violence of hundreds of years ago when there was no 'global warming' ?

I'm confused now.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
What explains the violence of hundreds of years ago when there was no 'global warming' ?

I'm confused now.

You certainly do seem to be.

I'm guessing the hundreds of other factors that aren't mentioned.

You see, if the article said that climate change was the sole cause, your post might make sense, but as is... it's for very weak minded individuals.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Climate change may increase violence

Let's see...

First, Sandy was no Superstorm. It was (at best) a cat-1 hurricane, which is a regular feature along the US gulf coast and most of the US east coast.

Then there was Flossie... just a few days ago. The media was tagging this, a mere tropical storm with heavy rain and 40 mph gusts, a potential superstorm even though those features are regularly found with summer thundershowers.

Finally, global warming causes violence... which means that the climate has been changing since... well, Alexander the Great's march into Central Asia, not to mention the Crusades, the American Revolution, Napoleon's reign, the US Civil War, WW1, WW2, the Holocaust, Korea and Vietnam.... just to name a few.

Tonight on the 11 o'clock news: Does global warming cause toenail fungus, male pattern baldness and violence in woman over 40?

Don't touch that Dial!

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

It makes sense in the context of resources.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Wrong. South Carolina is 96 F and above for six months of the year. July is the hottest and can get up to 115 F. People are like lizards and snakes here, we just tend to slow down to a halt. No yard work gets done here in July. Winter is the best time of year here. No snow. Places like Richmond VA which are less hot, seemed to have all the genocide murders in the summer over drugs and the I-95 passage. We sweat so much in the summer, so physical exertion is not on the itinerary. However, my friends who have lived here since birth don't seem to overheat as quickly or at all.

Do you think places like Mexico, South America, Greece, the Middle East have more violence than other places like New York, Chicago, Detroit? I feel it is about attitude, upbringing, education, and economic possibilities... not the temperatures.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Great now we will have to pay a carbon tax to keep terrorists and gangs away,

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
This is a fascinating article. I agree with this, in cold places people are generally mellow, and in hot climates people tend to be more emotional and prone to getting out of control. You just have to look at Africa and the middle East for confirmation of this.

Reading about the middle East (rantburg and atlas shrugs) it looks to me it is religion that's the catalyst for violence, I presume the middle east is usually hot most of the year, hence all that desert. Sunni and Shiite are the two factions of the same religion that are slaughtering each other.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

I disagree with the heat causing aggression.

We work out doors and I just spent 12-14 hrs. each day for the past week out in 100 degree temps and it doesn't make you hostile, it does the opposite IMO.

It zaps the energy out of you.
You feel lethargic and tired.

I'm not sure if I believe this 'study'.
People in general are getting more aggressive.
Probably has more to do with stress at home/work than the weather.

top topics

join