It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3,000-year-old fragment of pottery that leading expert claims could prove that Old Testament stories

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The 3,000-year-old fragment of pottery that leading expert claims could prove that Old Testament stories are TRUE

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...# ixzz2akXfolVY
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I think I remember reading about this.

A small fragment of ancient pottery found in modern Israel has shed light on its Biblical inhabitants and could prove that the reigns of King Solomon and King David actually occurred.

The 10th century BC 'Ophel Inscription' was unearthed last year, and scientists were initially baffled by the bizarre language that was inscribed on the remains of a jug.

But leading expert Dr Douglas Petrovich believe the language is a primitive form of Hebrew which suggests the ancient Israelites were accurately recording history much earlier than previously thought.

10th century B.C. fragment inscribed in ancient Hebrew

When an earthenware jug dating back to the time of King David was discovered during the 2012 excavations at Ophel in Jerusalem many thought perhaps it was written in the ancient language of the Canaanites. However, in a July 31 Fox News interview, ABR Associate Doug Petrovich who is an expert in ancient Near Eastern history and biblical studies says the language is actually the oldest form of ancient Hebrew. This has stirred controversy, because if it is Hebrew this would be hard evidence that matches with the biblical account of history and places the ancient Hebrews in Jerusalem earlier than previously evidenced.

www.examiner.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
"by their words u shall know them"

nice

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
That's cool, but keep in mind that this would only prove the Bible as a written account of what happened back then, however wouldn't prove anything God related. Of course it isn't surprising, I'm already pretty sure that many of the events talked about in the Bible actually happened. Whether God was involved or not is what is up for debate.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Hebrews in Jerusalem.

Imagine that?!

S & F

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

well i guess u will just have too read that new best seller,,,the Bible,,
,is God implicated?,,,is there any proof ,,that god,,existed at that time?,,,or today even,,,
God ya,,,pretty much evident in the bible,,,,
,,,gee i hope it gets better quick,,,

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Well I would imagine that most of the stories in the OT are in some way based on real life events and things. Such as perhaps the names of the individuals, like king solomon.

But "based on" does not imply "absolute truth", as I am positive many "believers" will clamor for it to mean.

You know all those movies, TV shows, and books that are "based on a true story" that, while technically accurate, look very, very little like that true story?

The OT wasnt meant to be an accurate representation of history. It was meant to be dogma for the jews of that time period, and we all know that when people write things who want to influence others, painting an accurate picture of how things really happened is not a high priority.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

It doesn't prove anything other than the Hebrews committing genocide on the Canaanites even earlier and more aggressively than previously thought.

It's not like a journalist was following Adam and Eve around with a tablet and chisel. It was still passed down orally.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Just because it shows there was a king David and Solomon it hardly means the stories in the old testament is true. Other things have already proven both of these men existed but never proved the stories were true.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

hey what about the time Egypt was saved from the seven years of famine,
,which having all the grain at the time, of the famine,,,
the store houses and they have been found,,,and there,, really huge,,hughemungeous,,huge storehouses,,that made
Egypt the Chief of Nations,
,during seven years of famine.
u wanna eat,,,,,come see us.

and why where they prepared one might ask.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Regardless of what your religious beliefs, my quest has always been for truth.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

The 3,000-year-old fragment of pottery that leading expert claims could prove that Old Testament stories are TRUE

Well that's all i need to start taking the old testament literally! Anyone know a good young earth website i can subscribe to?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
reply to post by Cuervo

hey what about the time Egypt was saved from the seven years of famine,
,which having all the grain at the time, of the famine,,,
the store houses and they have been found,,,and there,, really huge,,hughemungeous,,huge storehouses,,that made
Egypt the Chief of Nations,
,during seven years of famine.
u wanna eat,,,,,come see us.

and why where they prepared one might ask.

This pottery fragment has nothing to do with that. It isn't related to the OT; it's it's simply being used as evidence that the Hebrews were there at the time.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

It would be nice if you could use proper punctuation because your post is hard to follow (hint commas aren't meant to be used in ellipses). No offense but I have a hard time taking poorly written posts seriously. I'll respond anyways just to give you the benefit of the doubt.

I don't need to read the Bible, I'm familiar with the stories and tales told in them well enough thanks to growing up Catholic, going to Sunday school as a kid, talking to religious people, as well as my own personal research. The only thing I don't know from the Bible is all the little annoying scripture quotes that talk about God. God had His chance to have me as a follower but He in his infinite love has allowed the evil that is organized religion to propagate throughout the world. Plus the guy has been absent for some 2000 years now. Sorry, but I'm only going to believe what I can see and not limit my world view to one specific dogma that contradicts itself many times.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
One only has to read the works of David Rohl, who puts the Old Testament on the map. His Pharaohs and Kings contains a photo of Hebrew writing older than what the OP offers.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
so many people want to discount the historicity of the Bible and the Israelites, the best way to destroy a person or culture is to claim they never existed,

Why is it we love archeological finds as long as they are not anything found in the Biblical accounts?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
One only has to read the works of David Rohl, who puts the Old Testament on the map. His Pharaohs and Kings contains a photo of Hebrew writing older than what the OP offers.

I have read his work

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Just because it shows there was a king David and Solomon it hardly means the stories in the old testament is true. Other things have already proven both of these men existed but never proved the stories were true.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Sadly, like so many people, you have your eyes fixed on people, not God. I will not argue the issue, for I perceive that God has given you eyes to not see, and ears to not hear...

edit: This is not addressed to you, Krazysh0t, but I am thinking that some on this thread would not believe if they were given a time machine.
edit on 1-8-2013 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
It's interesting to me how every time archaeology discovers something else to prove the bible is historically accurate in certain ways that people just plug their ears and sing as loud as they can until the story goes away or gets covered up or "debunked" by an academic with a political agenda.

If this were any other ancient culture it would not be met with the same derision we find here, and instead would be met with fascination and further speculation. Instead, because it is "biblical archaeology" (a curse word to some), it is immediately disregarded and it's implications are glossed over or completely ignored.

Everyone seems to be using this discovery as their personal pulpit to declare that this doesn't mean that God exists. Well thanks for stating the obvious, but there are more issues to consider than theology with such discoveries.

One of the most powerful implications is that this discovery lends credence to events as they are told in the OT, and thus it establishes grounds for Israels claims to a rich history in the region. This is of course unacceptable to the anti-israeli pro-palestinian agenda, so every effort will be made to discredit the find, discredit the academics involved, or just sweep the whole thing under the rug.

Oddly enough, the bible also said that would happen!

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321

Well that's all i need to start taking the old testament literally! Anyone know a good young earth website i can subscribe to?

Edinburgh Creation Group

I couldn't resist.

On topic; Cool news!! I myself have no doubts as to the historic accuracy of the Bible but it is always cool when there is evidence that arises to re-enforce my beliefs.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join