It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motorola Droid Failing to Charge or Turn On

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by Gazrok

I'm buying some later when I go to dinner. Would moisture screw with the charging abilities as well?

Electricity + moisture is almost always bad and certainly would interfere with charging. More problematic is that the moisture is creating pathways for the electricity to follow - circuit jumping. This could turn a day or three without a working phone into just a non working phone instantly.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I do alot of phone repair for folks here in the mountains and if nothing else rice is your best bet. If your comfortable with it watch a video on how to take it apart and pull the logic board to make sure and get all the fluid out. If you do tear it down you can use 100% Isopropyl alcohol and clean the board and charging port. Depending on your type of droid it may have just cooked the charging port and that can be replaced for about 10 bucks off ebay. Above all keep the battery out until your sure its 100% dry inside.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Quit trying to charge it until it dries out! Quit trying to turn it on!

Anything else you do (shy of removing the battery and sticking both in a bag of rice) is NOT going to help make it work any better or faster! In fact, it is the SUREST way to kill your phone permanently (if you haven't done so already).

And leave it in the bag of rice for the full two days. Don't take it out. Don't try and test it after one day, etc. LEAVE IT IN....let the rice do its work.

If you're too cheap to buy a bag of rice, go price a new phone!

Not sure how much more plain we can make this for ya....

Best of luck...

edit on 1-8-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
oh, by the way
I use instant rice...Cause it's designed to absorb moisture quickly....
It may or may not make a difference, but I think it does a little

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I totally understand. My phone is important to me, too. I have all my business contacts stored in it. I recieve frequent calls on it.

But perspective.
"This, too, shall pass". Especially with a bag of rice.

Let us know in a couple of days how it worked.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Might actually be somewhat cheaper, as well. I have little faith that ANYTHING will bring back my phone, but it's worth a try. These things have a time limit, you know, and I fear I may have already passed mine.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Will rice solve the problem with the charging port as well?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

It is entirely possible.....

....the liquid causes it to short, so the circuit isn't firmly established. Once the water is removed, the short usually will abate. You may have some issues with oxidation, but newer phones aren't as delicate as 2001 in that regard.

My youngest, when he was 3, spilled a glass of lemonade on my Kyocera phone back in 2004 while eating at the Village Inn in Laramie. It never worked right again, and the amount of liquid touching it was ridiculously minimal.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

No harm in trying.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Simmer down now, bro. It's in the rice, has been since yesterday evening. Will be until tomorrow sometime. Thanks for the advice guys...if all else fails, I do have backup plans that don't necessarily involve resurrecting phones.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

No worries, I just stressed leaving it in because I sense you would be one to remove it and try it occasionally. If I'm wrong, so be it....if I'm right, then I want the words to echo every time you are tempted to take it out and try it....

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Oh, believe me, I was tempted. You're right, very much so. But I haven't taken it out. I put it in a ziplock baggie full of rice yesterday evening, made sure to bury the phone and battery separately in the rice, and I'm leaving it in there until Saturday or Sunday...just to be real friggin' sure that if it isn't working by then, it's not going to work. Keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks for the advice!
edit on 2-8-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Gazrok

Simmer down now, bro. It's in the rice, has been since yesterday evening. Will be until tomorrow sometime. Thanks for the advice guys...if all else fails, I do have backup plans that don't necessarily involve resurrecting phones.

Future reference, save those little packets of silicon? that bed/plant themselves on top of vitamins or anything shipped thats perishable (moisture prone destruction eminent otherwise) I KNEW THEY HAD AN ULTIMATE PURPOSE as diabolical as it may seem,
edit on 2-8-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join