It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Your Special Skill, Talent or Party Piece? C'mon, Share it with Us............

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Just thought I would post a light-hearted thread today and see what wondrous and creative responses came back…
I was lying in bed last night and a memory of something from 34 years ago came into my mind, and then I realized that I could still do something that I had learned how to do, but I had completely forgotten all about it….

In the year 1979, I was 14 years of age and was an avid listener of music, especially Punk, New Wave and Ska. Anyway, a song entered the charts and was not really the kind of music that I normally listened to, but I was enthralled and mesmerized like other people about the first 7 seconds of the song…

The song was called The Lone Ranger and the band was called Quantum Jump. Now the first 7 seconds of the song was totally undecipherable and nobody had a clue what the hell they were saying, or indeed what the hell they were talking about, which made us more intrigued…

So anyway, the chart rundown came on Radio 1 and I managed to record the song on my old cassette tape player, as we all did then, while at the same time trying my best to try and cut off the DJ’s voice as the song was ending. (People of a certain age will understand what I am talking about here when using the old cassette tape format)….

So I had the track now on tape and now I had to try and learn the first 7 seconds of the song. The way that I did this was to keep rewinding the tape backwards, play, stop, write down what I thought the words sounded like, rewind, stop, write, and so on until I had written down what I thought the words were. Obviously it would have been easier to get the words via Google, but there was no internet in those days, plus the fact that even though the song was printed in certain music magazines, the words that everybody wanted to learn were not printed along with the other lyrics. If they were printed in a magazine, then I never came across them, otherwise my job would have been made a damn sight easier…

So this is what I wrote down after hours of listening and rewinding the tape, this is what it sounded like to me. It may not look much, but it took bloody hours on the old cassette recorder…..

TARMATTA-WACKYTANNY-ANNY-COOEY-OOWOO-TOMMA-TYA-TOOLY-FOOKAR-KAMICKY-MONGO-ONNA-LOOKA-POKKA-WANNA-WOKKA-TANNA-TAHOO-AMATAKOO-ATANAHOO-COWA-MICKY-TORRA� ��.

So anyway, after many hours of playing and replaying the song I eventually learned it off by heart, so much so that I can still say it now without any hesitation whatsoever….

But my hours of knowledge and learning came to the test when I went to the local disco at the church and I asked for the record to be played. I got up on the stage with a microphone; the DJ played the song and every time the words that I had learned came in during the song the DJ turned the volume lower and all that could be heard was my voice uttering the words that nobody else knew or could understand.

When the song came to an end I got a wonderful standing ovation and a round of applause, and they made me do it again. Then when I went to school the next day, the kids at school kept asking me to say the words over and over again until I was exhausted…hahaha…….

So there is my silly little childhood memory story of something that happened 34 years ago. It may not sound much now, but at the time when I was 14, it was the dogs b****cks……haha….

Has anybody else out there got a special skill, talent or party piece that you could share with us for a bit of fun?

Come on, let’s hear about them…

The words are the first 7 seconds, but are longer at about 1.45 secs into the song………

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I learned all the words to "The Bartman". I was so exhausted from the requests to do it, that when I changed schools, I never told anyone until now.

ps- I know what you are talking about with tapes and rewinding to figure out songs. Also, that pesky DJ always made sure you couldn't get the whole song! Made it hard to make a mixed tape for your sweetie!

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I can often have fun with certain street lights... really freaks people out. Sounds crazy I know, but check this out...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

She was also featured on a CNN story and article.

Unlike Debbie, I don't affect near as many things (thank goodness). But, also unlike her, I can control it somewhat, at least with streetlights (or so it seems). Some are amazed, others get scared...so I don't really do it much anymore (and seems to not work with more modern types). Plus, it gives me a headache. May have something to do with getting lightning struck (3 times, though never directly), but whatever it is, I can't wear watches (unless diver types that are way up from my skin). Also, any vehicle I have for a period of time (like years) will eventually develop weird electrical problems and shorts.

Luckily, doesn't affect computers (except older ones) or cell phones. Back when TV signals were broadcast though, you could forget me walking in the room, hehe...not if you wanted to watch TV. Same with radios. At least not until I find a place to be that doesn't interfere.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
I learned all the words to "The Bartman". I was so exhausted from the requests to do it, that when I changed schools, I never told anyone until now.

ps- I know what you are talking about with tapes and rewinding to figure out songs. Also, that pesky DJ always made sure you couldn't get the whole song! Made it hard to make a mixed tape for your sweetie!

Wow, the Bartman would totally knacker you out, now wonder you never told the other kids at the new school, you would have been brought oygen

Yeah, the DJ thing was total conspiracy against us all who tried to tape the latest songs......the mixed song tape was a nightmare.......great part of ya life though

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Wow, you are a 'Slider', I have never heard that term before, very interesting. I am gonna look at some more on the net, later...well ya learn something everyday, brill........I would invite you round to ours for a drink and a chat, but I can't afford the light bulbs..

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

Good trick on those...We get the coiled ones, and don't have to go through a case of lightbulbs a month anymore! (they are supposed to last for 5 years, but we get a good 6 months out of them or more now). (My wife is a slider too, though not nearly as bad as I am). She can't control it either, only when she's stressed. (If we both argue, inevitably, a light blows, and then we laugh together)....

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I can point to the sky, and a bright white light will slowly begin to appear, get brighter and brighter, then slowly trail away.
It happens pretty close to the direction I am pointing.

however

It's just a trick of course. I go to the Heavens Abovewebsite, and look for our local list of Iridium flares.
Check the time, and direction in my sky. Then just make sure you are outside with someone at proper time.
Point...wait for it, wait for it.....WOW...

anyone can do this.
edit on 1-8-2013 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Haha! Brilliant!

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

I have a knack of making simple fun at work. Last Monday I told two people that they couldn't talk to me unless they could name or describe a song with a person's name in it (Mary Hill, Roxanne, Major Tom...). It went through the entire factory and every one is still spewing forth songs.

A while ago I took a worker's first name, Matt, and started describing words with Matt (or the sound) in it: What people sleep on. Madonna was this type of girl. He fights bulls. Other people soon joined in.

Can't really say it's a knack or a skill, but it sure helps to pass the time.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I can shove a condom up my nose and pull it out of my mouth. Makes your eyes water a bit though.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
I can shove a condom up my nose and pull it out of my mouth. Makes your eyes water a bit though.

Dare I ask how you realized such a talent?

Parents gave you the talk and you are dyslexic?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

A drunken night out with my troops I think.. Kind of evolved from the old fit one over your head and blow it up trick.. Probably the same night as the naked McDonalds incident.. THAT is my other super power; drunken nakedness

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I call it 'yeti toes'. I can spread my toes wide apart such that there is quite a space between them all.

Oh yeah, and somehow -- in grade school -- I learned how to make a faint whistle with my mouth closed. I can control the melody to some degree. I seem to recall looking around, like some annoying person behind me was making the noise.

Okay, one more: I can write cursive backwards.

Wait, one more. Remember Etch-A-Sketch? I can write cursive (forward or backward) with an Etch-A-Sketch.

Wasn't that riveting?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Yeah, jiggerj, I certainly think that that is a skill, to keep people entertained to whittle away the hours at work is a good and productive thing. Anything to change the boredom routine of the day into something different.......keep it up, yes, keep it up.........

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

Congratulations with the condom trick....I have a friend who does similar things with elastic bands, but makes me feel sick, but the kids love it....haha

edit on 4-8-2013 by davethebear because: spelling mistake

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
I call it 'yeti toes'. I can spread my toes wide apart such that there is quite a space between them all.

Oh yeah, and somehow -- in grade school -- I learned how to make a faint whistle with my mouth closed. I can control the melody to some degree. I seem to recall looking around, like some annoying person behind me was making the noise.

Okay, one more: I can write cursive backwards.

Wait, one more. Remember Etch-A-Sketch? I can write cursive (forward or backward) with an Etch-A-Sketch.

Wasn't that riveting?

Wow, you have such ability, that is 4 great party pieces, Yeti toes, whistling with mouth closed, writing backwards, but the skill with the Etch-A-Sketch, now that is total genius.........see what wondrous skills we all have, I can feel a new TV show evolving right before my eyes.....

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

They have it already...."America's Got Talent" (at least the audition weeks). You'll see some crazy stuff.... Once they weed out down to the actual performers though, it's not that good of a show.

top topics

join