It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living in America Will Drive You Insane - Literally

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
** That's the title of the article.

No, this isn't yet another bash America thread.
This is about mental illness in the USA and what is classified as mental illness.
After reading the article I am willing to bet that the same attitudes are found world wide.
Living on planet earth will drive you insane - literally.

The article is really good and I'd love to quote the whole thing, but we aren't allowed.
So here is a small sample. Seriously .. read the whole thing. It's pretty good.
(I edited some strong language with *** )

Salon - Living In America Will Drive You Insane Literally

In “The Epidemic of Mental Illness: Why?” (New York Review of Books, 2011), Marcia Angell, former editor-in-chief of the New England Journal of Medicine, discusses over-diagnosis of psychiatric disorders, pathologizing of normal behaviors, Big Pharma corruption of psychiatry, and the adverse effects of psychiatric medications.

While diagnostic expansionism and Big Pharma certainly deserve a large share of the blame for this epidemic, there is another reason.

A June 2013 Gallup poll revealed that 70% of Americans hate their jobs or have “checked out” of them. Life may or may not suck any more than it did a generation ago, but our belief in “progress” has increased expectations that life should be more satisfying, resulting in mass disappointment. For many of us, society has become increasingly alienating, isolating and insane, and earning a buck means more degrees, compliance, ****, ***-eating, and inauthenticity. So, we want to rebel. However, many of us feel hopeless about the possibility of either our own escape from societal oppression or that political activism can create societal change. So, many of us, especially young Americans, rebel by what is commonly called mental illness.

I'm thinking that the entire planet probably is 'insane' if you use the same criteria that is used in the USA and by the DSM. The whole planet feels 'miserable' .... unless you are healthy and well fed (and that's a relatively small percentage of the planet). And even those who are healthly and well fed seem to crave more and more like they are trying to scratch an itch they can't reach.

I think humanity, in general, is pretty messed up. But to the point we all need drugs?

The thing is ... doctors are calling normal behavior abnormal and they are IMHO over prescribing drugs. Something is wrong when 25% of middle aged American women are on anti-depressants. And no, it's not society or America or values or morals or religion or whatever .... it's something else. I'm thinking the doctors, and people in general, are pill happy. Sure, sometimes the pills are needed, but 25% of American women need these? Really? I don't think so .....

Anyways, read the article and see what you think. I found it interesting ....

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I grow more insane day by day. Amerika is a echo chamber of stupidity, carelessness and greed. Our Fore Fathers, if they could see us now, they would extremely disappointed.

Humanity is a disease upon the Earth, we will either destroy ourselves completely or we will destroy the planet utterly, leaving nothing but a scorched desolate rock
edit on 1-8-2013 by th3onetruth because: cause i can, eat a rail road spike

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Living in America Will Drive You Insane - Literally,
Oh,I wouldn't say that,and there is even a proof,all of us here on ATS....healthy at mind.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by th3onetruth

I wouldn't single out America for that. The entire planet is insane.
Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results ... the very definition of insanity.

People keep electing the same type of leaders ... keep following the same bloody religions ....
keep listening to propaganda that claims to be 'news' and they believe it as truth ...
etc etc etc ... and they expect different results. Insanity.

But I get off topic ... this is about what is classified as insanity or mental illness.
It's about drug companies and doctors over prescribing. It's about people thinking the daily
droning on of life is something that people need drugs (or addiction) to get through.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
My friend is just recently back from America, she lived there for 7 years, she could not get over how many people over there regularly go see therapists ( she lived in Washington DC, New York and Boston ). I noticed it myself and I was only over there for a few months.

I dunno why that is? Is it trendy to have a therapist or something?

There definitely doesnt seem to be as many people visiting therapists in Ireland and the UK.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I can't quote it right now from my phone, the second and third to last paragraphs really strike a chord about the nature of modern life. For millennia human beings have evolved in intimate groups closely tied to the Earth - working it, walkng it. Now we don't, we lack connectivity and a sense of meaningful purpose.

Given many of the observations made in the article, it's no surprise that the most well adjusted and healthy among us live very naturally, simply, exercise (toil) regularly and have a larger group to belong - as much like our ancestors as is possible in the year 2013.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Well the USA are huge drug pushers. Have an itch? they have meds for that, you have abnormal social behavior? we have meds for that. You have a nervous twitch when around new people? we have meds for that. you have nothing wrong with you? we have meds for that too!

I think the meds are either

A.) Making people insane

B.) Making people think they're insane

or

C.) Are already insane

Could also be the American society that is making people insane too. It gives me a headache (Metaphorically)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Well, I have had a bad experience with psychiatry.

My story - is I was the victim of a military sexual trauma - of which I tried to ignore and soldier on and carry on with my job and simply, push it aside.

Of course, depression and anxiety developed - to the point I was prescribed medication to make me feel better. I deteriorated even further, and after my four years, left the military. Through the VA, I continued to receive care - in which they decided to try a different medication, as I'd moved through 4 different ones that just didn't help. So I was prescribed an anti-psychotic as a "trial" to see if it would help. Well it didn't - instead, I had my first and only ever psychotic episode, became very suicidal and lethargic - also paranoid and wide open to suggestion - to the point I had to be hospitalized for an extended stay. Of which time, they kept me on the medication!!!
They just adjusted the dose and added another medication as an "equalizer". I was high as a kite all the time.

It took me about 5 years (three of which I was medicated while in the military) and up to 10 - 15 meds later for various illnesses that cropped up in relation to my psychiatric meds. For example, the medicine I was on - a huge side effect was weight gain. Which caused my type two diabetes to flair, my thyroid to go haywire, and my blood pressure to spike. So now I was taking MORE medications to counteract the side effects of the psyche drugs. Va was thrilled, imagine how much money I was making for them, being on all those drugs.

Finally, I woke up and said enough of this sh!t, and started weening myself off the psychiatric drugs I was prescribed. My weight dropped, my type 2 diabetes stabilized, my thyroid righted itself, and my blood pressure is back to normal AND I finally feel like my head is getting back to normal. I could think, and function and interact with my family again. Before that, I was a chemically induced zombie - quite literally.

Now don't get me wrong, I still suffer from depression and anxiety. I still don't like to go anywhere alone, in fact, I'd rather stay safe and sound at home - always. I still won't go to the local comic book shop to play Magic the Gathering anymore, because it's mostly guys. But I'm learning to deal with my fears through spirituality, meditation, and cognitive behavioral therapy. No I didn't abandon psychiatry or therapy for failing me - I simply put my foot down and said, enough is enough. Stop drugging me.

Being high as a kite to feel better, doesn't work for me. So the drugs I learned, at least for me, was bad and not a viable option for me. Now 6 months later, down to NO medications with the exception of an occasional motrin or tylenol for a headache or other pains - I feel better. Much, much better.

What's more - I'll always be stigmatized for my psychotic episode, which was induced, by the very medication that the doctors who were suppose to be helping me, prescribed me with. I'll never be able to own a gun, for example, not because I'm not stable, but because I was unstable when I was being used as a guinea pig - to try out a anti-psychotic medication - not for being psychotic, but for being depressed! It's a flawed system, and in my opinion, psychiatry in some cases, does more harm than good. It did in my experience. Particularly when big pharma is saying, here try this new drug on patients and see if it makes them feel better. It's basically playing rush and roulette with your brain.

It's my firm belief, that many (not all - I'm not saying all people - some do need these medications and do better on them) but many people use the psychiatric system just to get drugs to get high, legally. Why should big pharma care, they're getting your money, the psychiatrist is making their money... Please don't misconstrue that statement, or take offense. It's only my opinion born from my personal experiences. It's all a business. Your health isn't their main concern, money is. In fact, the sicker you are - the deeper their pockets get.

Cirque

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Its always been like this, i call it eventually being jaded because of what the world does to you.

That's why Christ said, "be like children," in effect saying to return to the original awareness you were before this place started to program you with illusions

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

I hear you. I swear many times the 'cure' that the doctors give are worse than the disease.
And I no longer automatically trust what a doctor says. BAD EXPERIENCES with this ....

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I think it was the invention of the punch-clock that really screwed us. Although we would be better off without the entire industrial revolution altogether.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
reply to post by th3onetruth

People keep electing the same type of leaders ... keep following the same bloody religions ....
keep listening to propaganda that claims to be 'news' and they believe it as truth ...
etc etc etc ... and they expect different results. Insanity.

I think you're the one buying into propaganda. Most people are disenfranchised, and don't bother to vote. More so because they have the common sense to realize the system is too broken to bother, rather than true ignorance.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but atheism and agnosticism is on a sharp rise. We're not following the same path as we were even a decade ago.

Very, very few Americans bother with MSM, in fact, it's statistically shown that many more times people gather their information from "alternative" channels.

I'm pretty sure you're an agent of propaganda and don't even realize it.

As for the OP, I agree. People are buying into bigpharma, but there has been a push in recent years to find alternative solutions for mental health.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Life is hard and sometimes we do need a lift from someone or something else, but be careful you don't forget how to lift yourself up on your own. Dependency is a real potential problem.

However, I believe we're all different so drugs will work for some people.

As long as people have a choice. Now, if a person is completely gone and psycho and trying to hurt people and/or can't eat on their own then I can see force being an option, probably. But my gut is to always give people benefit of the doubt because I believe in being a self-made person. I want for the craziest people in the world to someday be independent and free from drugs.

The danger is that government will find excuses to force things on people. That's what I fear. Whether it's drugs or genetics or something else, it's always a danger. Governments can get too big and we can lose freedoms. And once we lose them, it's a lot harder to get them back.

So far in my life, the things that I've found to work best to give me a good mood and stability are exercise, goals (even small ones), work (something useful) and doing things or going places that I don't normally. I think that have friends is important too because they have ideas you don't. Generally, life is not a rich experience if you've living in a box. You won't be happy that way.
edit on 1-8-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

There is no such thing as sanity we are all defective.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Brits tend to self medicate on alcohol, rich and poor, young and old. I can't drink , but the vast majority of people I know have a drink once a day, whether its a bottle of wine or a few beers. Then when the weekend comes.....

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Jeez i'm Irish and even the majority of people I know dont have a drink once a day lol, but yeah that's bad! bad that people feel the need for it.

Still I suppose its cheaper than paying a therapist by the hour

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
People need to gain some self-respect and not drink their sorrows away. It's emotionally immature. I'm sober, and work out to gain self-respect. Grab a bar, and pull yourself up. Hit the floor and push up. Run around a bit, and squat with whatever you can find that's heavy. Don't need to be rich to trick your inner pharmacy to distribute the goodies.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I am of the opinion that it is all related to a vitamin and mineral deficiency, once upon a time we could get these through our diet, now, not so much.

Vitamin C has been used to defeat alcoholism, Vitamin D to defeat depression, magnesium to relax and much, much more.

If they label everyone with a mental disorder, then they will have accomplished gun control, can't buy a gun if you've been diagnosed with a mental disorder in most parts.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I'm actually worried about anyone who isn't mentally ill in this day and age. Mental illness is actually the correct response.

The ones that are happy, seem sane living life to its fullest, productive, and grateful are the ones I worry about.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Excellent article.
It's completely true and if the way things appear to be going continue this way, the reactions to the authority in this world will only get worse over time
And I'm happy about that. I hope it all falls apart.
I despise what this society forces us to do to just survive and live a life. 8 hours a day (which might as well be the entire day when it's all said and done) devoted to a workplace that merely allows us to live paycheck to paycheck and slowly erode our value over time as inflation grows and the requirements to survive increase. I couldn't be more disappointed with this world and yes, extremely depressed about it. No therapy for me however, as not only would that cost money, but it only means prescription medication.

It's a hopeless situation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join