It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia State student forms White Student Union

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Some day people will realize there is nothing wrong with racism as long as you aren't harming others. To recognize racial differences and accept them is TRUE diversity - diversity that you won't get by pretending everyone is the same.

I'm not advocating restarting the KKK and lynching people, nor am i telling you to join the black panthers and kill Whitey, but the sooner we start keeping to our own and recognizing racial differences the more diverse society will be.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
why not form a union of all races and then each members of that race go and arrest the violent members of their race

yea right,what a dream...

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Wow I admire him a lot for having the gall to actual do something like this. It is in his right to do so and I fully support it.

I believe that we need to have an honest discourse on "race". However, that's not going to happen. We already know that there is no such thing as "race", it is a social construct used which was created in the recent past in order to discriminate, distribute resources, give justification for the Europeans colonial conquest, and to justify slavery. We now know that what we see as "race" the physical characteristics are an accumulation of certain traits such as eye color, skin pigmentation, etc. These changes appeared because humans separated into groups and moved into different environments, thus allowing for the accumulation of certain traits within groups.

Humans have millions (or billions) of letters of DNA yet the differences we see in skin pigmentation are represented by just one letter. We haven't been separated long enough to evolve into a separate species. What I find most interesting is that we would think that people within groups of certain accumulated physical traits (races) would be most similar genetically speaking. Yet, the most genetic diversity exists within a "race" of people. For example, John and Paul classified as Caucasian and Mark and Brent are classified as African. Traditionally, people assume John and Paul are most similar and Mark and Brent are most similar however, from a genetic standpoint, it is more likely for John to be related to either Mark or Brent; or for Mark or Brent to be related to either Paul or John.

The U.S. was a White supremacist state, it really wasn't that long ago. Rosa Parks died just a few years ago, Jim Crow was only two or three decades ago. I have neighbors that had family members in the KKK, and they talked about when they used to go to the local parks and beat up the blacks. Racism was state sponsored and minorities were discriminated everywhere and often denied citizenship. In some cases this discrimination still continues today, though not state sponsored.

I would love to learn more about European history and culture, to learn more about White people and their traditions like we do with all the other cultures. However, this makes people uncomfortable because of the way minorities were treated in the U.S. in the recent past by Whites. You can say that it's all in the past or that you personally didn't do anything. We know you personally didn't do anything but like I said that was only a couple decades ago, that tension is still there. For example, people that look like you raped, denied justice to, murdered, mistreated, discriminated, held in bondage, and considered people that didn't look like you lesser human or not human at all. Minorities struggled to be able to establish these cultural groups in their campuses. I think these struggles defined America and that they're a part of American history.

Remember, originally the Constitution and the Bill of Rights excluded all other groups except for White land-owning males. It's amazing the how far we have traveled. The scars left from when the U.S. was a White supremacist society have not faded, and unfortunately there are many interests that don't want these scars to fade.
edit on 2-8-2013 by TheIllusiveMan because:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
2 questions.

1. Why is it when any nonwhite group forms an organization, its a "celebration of their culture" but if whites of Euopean decent do it its "racism" and isn't allowed?

2. Who does the "allowing"?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy
reply to post by Vasa Croe

I think he is simply making a point that these unions are ridiculous and only perpetuate the racial tensions and segregation of the populace.

The original idea behind minority organizations is so that minorities had a chance to succeed when there was little chance.

Fear is what perpetuates tension. What is he afraid of? Becoming the minority?

Yes and its getting that way for whites in this country. White people are the boogie man in this country right now, and it will only get worse. I live in an area with a lot of immigrants, and when they start businesses, guess who they hire? Not Americans for the most part. THAT is racism. Whites are being blamed for every ill and set back by minorities. I for one do not see a problem in the creation of this union.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
reply to post by bigwig22

Are you suggesting that whites have suffered the same mistreatment at the hands of blacks and asians, as blacks and asians have at the hands of whites, and are therefore entitled to equal consideration?

Asians nearly wiped white people off of the face of the earth three times; the Mongols, the Huns and the Turks very nearly did them in.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   

edit on 2-8-2013 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
So...did a search and did not see this posted but of COURSE it is getting a TON of attention here in GA. Love that this guy is standing up for his rights but I am sure this is going to get more attention as it rolls along. I have the same feelings as he does on some of the issues he has brought up and watched the news report on him last night. I couldn't agree more on the fact that starting this group he is being called a racist when there are numerous other groups that do the same and are accepted. My thought is this was a move to test just how society would react to starting a white student union and just how hypocritical others can be.

Freshman Patrick Sharp said he started the club so that students of European and Euro-American descent can celebrate their shared history and culture and discuss issues that affect white people, such as immigration and affirmative action.

“If we are already minorities on campus and are soon to be minorities in this country why wouldn’t we have the right to advocate for ourselves and have a club just like every other minority?” said Sharp, 18. “Why is it when a white person says he is proud to be white he’s shunned as a racist?”

Source

I would like to see what Obama has to say about this...and whether or not he thinks it is a racial issue. I like that this kid stood up for something and is pushing an issue that needs to be dealt with head on.
edit on 8/1/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

Any one realize being mad cause they have bet and we don't have WET (white entertainment TV) makes you a hater. I mean that is literally the definition of hater. No one realising 2 wrongs don't make a right. huh.... missed that day in home training i guess.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snsoc

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
reply to post by bigwig22

Are you suggesting that whites have suffered the same mistreatment at the hands of blacks and asians, as blacks and asians have at the hands of whites, and are therefore entitled to equal consideration?

Asians nearly wiped white people off of the face of the earth three times; the Mongols, the Huns and the Turks very nearly did them in.

This is ridiculous. All the civilizations you mentioned, raided in what we presently call Europe, but none had anything resembling a shot to exterminate the Caucasian races. Nor did nay of them want too. They were more then happy to take tributes and spend them in other "white dominated villages".

P.S. look up a video of any white supremacist leader giving a spiel on there belief system. Its the same talking points as the kid from the university. It's always the same BS. We don't hate others....We just really love white people and think the races should stay separate. Dollars to dimes, the kid becomes a white suprimist and blames it on the fact he was ostracized over this "club" he started.
edit on 2-8-2013 by artemisminion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by WP4YT
Some day people will realize there is nothing wrong with racism as long as you aren't harming others. To recognize racial differences and accept them is TRUE diversity - diversity that you won't get by pretending everyone is the same.

I'm not advocating restarting the KKK and lynching people, nor am i telling you to join the black panthers and kill Whitey, but the sooner we start keeping to our own and recognizing racial differences the more diverse society will be.

Yea, we should all definitely believe that are race is superior and other races are inferior...That don't make me a bigot does it? Oh $^!t, That's like the definition of a bigot.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yes "it's about time" the other races see how it feels to be white. You are right. We should finally treat the other races equally. LOL being white is so hard…

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by artemisminion

I'm to tired to respond to this idiot. Needless to say if he lived in a big city where every race is pretty much blended together all acting pretty much the same he would lose these views.

The only reason to keep separate from anyone is because you can't handle change or difference and don't feel comfortable. Get out of hillbilly town and you will find people with different skin color saying things that make you feel uncomfortable are just the same as you. Everyone pretty much is the same, and if they are different it has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by vpjanitorial

GSU is in Atlanta. We are probably one of the most diverse large cities in the US, yet people still claim Georgia is a racist state ALL the time because we are in the south. There is a certain "thinking" about the south because of historical conflicts that happened here. I would be very hesitant to believe that there are any more racists in Atlanta than in any other large city in the US. Now the outskirts and smaller communities I have not idea about but with how evenly spread the populace is in suburbs of large cities I would have to believe that there are the same amount of racial tensions in EVERY major city.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by WP4YT

I TOTALLY agree!!

I have slowly started to feel this way too- that a person has the RIGHT to be racist if they want to. This reminds me of when the KKK came to Memphis this past March and everyone was in an uproar. I told people, "They have the RIGHT to free speech, just as you do, as long as no physical harm is done."

I also realized this when I learned about the Civil Rights cases in a Constitutional Law class last year; private business owners wanted to maintain their RIGHT to deny service to a group of people, and technically there was no law against that. When the Federal Gov't stepped in and mandated them to 'tolerate' a group of people that they did not want to, their was backlash. I can understand public facilities having this mandate, but honestly, private businesses should be able to maintain their right of Freedom of choice- choosing who to service.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Thank God for us white people who stand up to this forced blackification of America. Finally someone has some guts.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I travel on business a bit, and that school is located in Atlanta. This is a recent article on where African Americans look to find Jobs and business opportunities (and NYC and Chicago aren't even on the list). If the kid wants a white club, how does that hurt anyone except people that may have racial feelings against whites. Business world is changing. African Americans are CEOs of American Express and McDonalds. Women are CEOs of IBM and HP. 10 years from now, it will even be more diverse. Here the recent article.

blog.lowincome.org...

According to Black Enterprise (BE) magazine, who publishes an annual list of Top 10 Cities for African Americans, lists other statistics that are important to African Americans:
-Median household income for African Americans compared with that of the overall median household income
-Percent of African American households earning over $100,000 per year
-Black unemployment
-Number of black-owned businesses per 1,000 black residents
-Percentage of African Americans graduating from college
-Homeownership rate by African Americans

Based on research using these key living standards, the top ten cities are:
1. Washington, D.C.
2. Atlanta, GA
3. Raleigh-Durham, NC
4. Houston, TX
5. Nashville, TN
6. Dallas, TX
7. Charlotte, NC
8. Indianapolis, IN
9. Columbus, OH
10. Jacksonville, FL

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by lifeonanisland

Excellent reply and goes to what I said earlier about people always hating on the south for being racist. Like I said....I live in Atlanta and if we aren't diverse here then I don't know where is.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Atlanta is a great city. Even Elton John calls Atlanta his adopted home town.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by instigatah

Erm, plenty of us are in "society", and not on the rez bro......

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by vpjanitorial
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yes "it's about time" the other races see how it feels to be white. You are right. We should finally treat the other races equally. LOL being white is so hard…

Agenda driven? Or is the sarcasm special for me?

It has absolutely nothing to do with "hard" or "easy". Hard seems to be defined by many as what happened 100 or 200 years ago. Perhaps even by what happened in living memory just 4 and 5 decades ago. All has about as much relevance to a club on a college campus as the price of tea in China.

There should be race based exclusionary groups allowed..and allowed FOR ALL races equally or there should be NO race based groups allowed. Personally, I opt for the latter to be honest and the division by race like this is all a big game in EVERY aspect of life today is enough to just be sick over, let alone sick OF.

However, if we MUST have a group to every race BUT ONE? Well, then I will call it what it is. Racist and highly discriminatory. If any other..and I mean ANY other group were isolated and made a special case to deny what all others have as a seeming right? People would scream from the rooftops and streets of D.C.. They'd be RIGHT to do it, too.

How is it that people today can be racist bigots toward whites, Christians or Americans (oh and God help you if you're all three.... Wow.. Talk about bad bad luck on that birth!) yet so even say the wrong word (see thread about Seattle and brown bag being declared a racial term), people come unglued?

The bigotry in that is SO self evident, I'm shocked it's not already a point to protest....but then, everyone seems to NEED someone to blame and hate ..and Whites are the P.C. group to thump on a whim these days. How...equal, eh?

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join