It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia State student forms White Student Union

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+58 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
So...did a search and did not see this posted but of COURSE it is getting a TON of attention here in GA. Love that this guy is standing up for his rights but I am sure this is going to get more attention as it rolls along. I have the same feelings as he does on some of the issues he has brought up and watched the news report on him last night. I couldn't agree more on the fact that starting this group he is being called a racist when there are numerous other groups that do the same and are accepted. My thought is this was a move to test just how society would react to starting a white student union and just how hypocritical others can be.

Freshman Patrick Sharp said he started the club so that students of European and Euro-American descent can celebrate their shared history and culture and discuss issues that affect white people, such as immigration and affirmative action.

“If we are already minorities on campus and are soon to be minorities in this country why wouldn’t we have the right to advocate for ourselves and have a club just like every other minority?” said Sharp, 18. “Why is it when a white person says he is proud to be white he’s shunned as a racist?”

Source

I would like to see what Obama has to say about this...and whether or not he thinks it is a racial issue. I like that this kid stood up for something and is pushing an issue that needs to be dealt with head on.
edit on 8/1/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

+21 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
nice to see people taking a stand... lets see how it goes! Go kids!

+24 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Well good for him. If I was willing to play Joan Of Arc for this specific cause, I'd start one myself at school. I'm just not willing to throw my whole academic future over this specific cause.

Having said that, the guy's got guts and it's about damn time the other races see how it FEELS to actually SEE an organization dedicated 100% and exclusively to racial issues which EXCLUDE them. Perhaps it will give a tiny little indication of just how sick and tired people are of Black, Hispanic and Asian dedicated this and that, all over the place ....but screams of 'Racist!!!' if anyone so much as jokes about the EXACT SAME organizations where "white" replaces the other racial identifier.

Imagine if Congress had a "White Caucus" to match the so named "Black Caucus". The Hill would erupt in a mini-race war .....and America's double standards for full hypocrisy remain alive and well for all to see, at all levels of society.

+16 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
As a guy who has lived extensively in places like Warner Robins, Macon, Atlanta, I say good. "What's good for the geese is good for the gander" or something like that.

I'm actually against all things like this, however until various African-American only unions, colleges and the like are gone, I don't see a problem with whites having the same thing. Because let's face it, we're not in the 40's any longer. Today is all about equality. How can one be equal if they're allowed something someone else isn't?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Imagine if Congress had a "White Caucus" to match the so named "Black Caucus". The Hill would erupt in a mini-race war .....and America's double standards for full hypocrisy remain alive and well for all to see, at all levels of society.

Yeah.....that would be a great debate on hypocritical issues and how racial wars are started. At some point in everyone's genealogical line there was some sort of oppression so why doesn't everyone bring it up? Glad this kid did speak up.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Where's the Native American Union club? oh thats right...there arent any native americans left in society....theyre all on reservations.

Until the people who cry foul about black, latino, or asian peoples rights stand up for the Native American....until President Obama, Mr. I'm going to be a uniter....says something about the forgotten Native Americans....I say every last one of these people is rediculous, intellectually dishonest, and not worth paying attention to....

thats it.

(this comes from someone who actually spent 3 weeks living on an Indian Reservation in Arizona...so im not completely ignorant on the issue)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Wow...so just last night after being approached by my old high school to start a formal alumni association I was looking at their website under student activities as saw these:

It was a "club" calendar that lists:

Japanese Club
Native Club
African Girls Club
Asian Club
Latino Club
Spanish Club
Black Student Union
Abolitionist Club

After seeing this list I though to myself when someone would form a "Caucasian Club"? I have to say the Abolitionist Club surprised me.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
If there are Black Student Unions, or other ethnic groups that have formed groups based on race...then they too are in fact racist in nature.

As would be the 'white student union'.

To deny membership to any group based on nothing but race, is racist..obviously.

We have racist newspapers in the UK...i have never agreed with it and have always wondered how the owners and producers managed to get around race laws here...'The Voice' is a so-called black newspaper among dozens of other papers and magazines and online periodicals.

If white people produced similar products, yes, it would be considered racist and bad taste.

But apparently, not if you're black.

I think this kid was making a political statement about this kind of disparity..racism is a two way street, and whites can be just as much victims of it as blacks and other races can be.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

Actually I think it has been at the point where whites are victims of racial bias for a while now. The issue is that nobody wants to talk about the elephant in the room. Maybe this kid will get some debates started.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
45 percent of Australians were either born overseas or have a parent who was.

So if this union ever made it's way down under, it'll be labelled supremacist. But we're supposed to be a multicultural nation.

Then if Muslims started a union, it'd be accused of terrorism. But we're supposed to be a multicultural nation.

And if Hindus started a union, it'd be-

Forget it. Why can't we all join the humanity union and all get drunk together?

I don't need a club to embrace my heritage, But I can understand people who do, and it's everyone right to do so. The problem is some people will have knee jerk reactions to this, and use it to further increase the social divide.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Celebrating ethnic culture is one thing, segregating it is another.

If this is purely a celebration, anyone should be allowed to join.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DeReK DaRkLy

I feel the same....but the hypocrisy of having numerous other unions that are similar is what I think this kid is trying to throw out there.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

I feel the same....but the hypocrisy of having numerous other unions that are similar is what I think this kid is trying to throw out there.

Does one hypocrisy solve another?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DeReK DaRkLy

No...but as others have done, someone has to bring it to the forefront and attention will be given. If nothing changes then it stays the same. I think he is simply making a point that these unions are ridiculous and only perpetuate the racial tensions and segregation of the populace.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Race is still a touchy subject in the US and probably always will be. What this kid has done will possibly open the door to an honest discussion about how we deal with these issues. Yes, it a form of reverse racism when Blacks start a Black(s) only club or organization, however, a lot of this enactment was due to the exclusionary tactics by Whites from the days of slavery until fairly recently in human history. Other racial groups have started this trend and now this form of isolationism has become the norm. I applaud this kid for his brave move. The Civil Rights movement was a long time ago and unfortunately there is still some of anger in the black community towards whites where the children on both sides become the victims of this anger when they had nothing to do with what happened long ago. I also have to wonder why do some whites feel threatened? I listened very closely to the 2008 election where the Republican catch phrase was "Let's take our country back." Back from who? The vile hoard of evil Blacks who are taking over? That sounds like fear and fear is one of the deadly sins. Fear leads to all kinds of dark roads some of which have no return. Thank goodness this kids act wasn't one of fear. Let's see where this goes.

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I flat our refuse to say the phrase "The N Word" instead of N#$%&R. Why? Because the "C Word" is still being used. You know the C word, Cracker!

As long as they have TV networks like BET (Black Entertainment Network) and no "White Entertainment Network".
How about the Black Comedy Jam? Where is the White Comedy Jam?
How about JET magazine?

I refuse to believe the racism problem is anything but a one way street any longer. As long as N$^%%R can still be used by the Black community, as long as they still have divisive TV shows the problem remains their own.

I for one am all for how much nuts this kid is showing. I wish I had the time and energy to do the same. Racism will never die as long as the only people allowed to express it are racist Black people.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I think he is simply making a point that these unions are ridiculous and only perpetuate the racial tensions and segregation of the populace.

The original idea behind minority organizations is so that minorities had a chance to succeed when there was little chance.

Fear is what perpetuates tension. What is he afraid of? Becoming the minority?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy

I think he is simply making a point that these unions are ridiculous and only perpetuate the racial tensions and segregation of the populace.

The original idea behind minority organizations is so that minorities had a chance to succeed when there was little chance.

Fear is what perpetuates tension. What is he afraid of? Becoming the minority?

I don't think he is afraid of anything..just trying to make a point that instead of each race being divided and having organizations to help only their own that maybe they are all ridiculous and should be helping everyone in the same manner. These organizations can only be looked at as racist and selfish. I don't think the original idea behind these organizations is what is happening today.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Rock on! Next up:

-The White Miss America Pageant
-The Congressional White Caucus
-The National White Scholarship Award
-NAAWP - The National Association for the Advancement of White People
-National White Business Council

I could go on for hours, but you get the idea.

This country was founded on a VERY simple principle; That ALL men are created EQUAL. There is no room in a society that is built on equality for groups that demonstrate racial preference. There is also no need for laws that allow some men to be more equal than others.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I don't think he is afraid of anything..just trying to make a point that instead of each race being divided and having organizations to help only their own that maybe they are all ridiculous and should be helping everyone in the same manner. These organizations can only be looked at as racist and selfish. I don't think the original idea behind these organizations is what is happening today.

That's like murdering someone to make the point that murder is bad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join