It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protection? How does this help?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 02:11 PM
link   
In a quite stunningly insensitive movee the UK government has abadoned its citizens in Kenya to whatever fate awaits them. Firstly it says the chance of a terrorist attack is imminent, then it leaves those there to fend for themselves. There may be a genuine threat but if you seek to protect your people you can not leave people to the mercy of whatevers befalls them like this.

Disgusting move.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Well. I've read the reports and seen the news on this subject and it doesn't look like they've been "abandoned" to me.

Perhaps you would feel happier if we flew in a British Airways 747 so they could be shot down by a surface to air missile?

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Just put yourself in their situation and see how friendly you feel towards your government.

Whilst they won`t be left there imagine how you`d feel stranded in a country for 24hours after your government has just issued the most extreme warning and taken direct action. Not an insignificant thing to do.
And remember for those few hours you`ve no idea how you`re getting home...fine sitting behind a computer thousands of miles from it but try it sitting in an airport of a country under immenent attack (your governments exact words).

"Perhaps you would feel happier if we flew in a British Airways 747 so they could be shot down by a surface to air missile?"

Excuse me? the british have the means and resources to take measures against attack like this. It should n`t be an issue. I have a passport entitling me to the benefit of my countries help in times of trouble, all to often we are let down by those who are our supposed protectors.

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by cassini

Excuse me? the british have the means and resources to take measures against attack like this. It should n`t be an issue. I have a passport entitling me to the benefit of my countries help in times of trouble, all to often we are let down by those who are our supposed protectors.

You're joking, right? We can't even protect ourselves!! How the hell do you expect us to protect our citizens abroad? We do the best we can. And you can be sure that those people aren't left out there in Kenya to hang out to dry. If we could go and get them - we would go and get them but the safety risk is mainly towards British Airways flights. More than likely the intelligence services fear that the same gang who tried to bring down an Israeli jet a couple of months ago at Mombassa are trying to do the same to British flights. The threat is almost cetainly not aimed at British citizens on the ground in Kenya and they are safer getting out by other means than by flying British Airways.
Nearly all British tourists in Kenya are on guided tours. They would have been told that they could go home on other flights or they could enjoy the rest of their holiday. The direct threat to them is not by being in Kenya itself but by being in a 747 plastered in Union Jacks.

top topics

join