It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(HD) How the Universe Works (S02E05) Clockwork and Creation Earth is lucky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Mercury's eccentric orbit, Pluto and it's 248 year cycle of summer and winter, comets, black holes etc etc but basically the video is about orbits which are stable and those that are not....Other solar systems are not so lucky... galaxies that collide creating new stars and possible life....The vid is dumbed down (no equations) so anyone can understand...... It is actually (IMO) a good video of the clockwork universe. Some of the speeds at which things happen are really amazing due to gravity.... Enjoy the beautiful pictures

edit on 1-8-2013 by 727Sky because: ......

edit on 1-8-2013 by 727Sky because: ....

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Will warch this tomorrow and revert. thanks

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Thanks for writing a description.

I'm not sure why the Earth's orbit is so close to circular when so many orbits in the universe have higher eccentricity. Seems like the more eccentric orbits may be the norm, and if eccentricity is large enough, could prove problematic for life. Even models of solar system formation suggest a chaotic process where circular orbits would be perhaps a starting point but would then be disturbed by gravitational interactions and collisions...which is partly discussed in Season 1 episode 6 of this series (The Planets)...which we really need, because it explains this solar system formation that people on ATS have asked about but I never found the video on youtube.

The uploader of S02E05 said (in the comments) S02E06 was blocked, so I'm wondering if S01E06 may also be blocked? We could use that one, as no other video I've found on youtube has as good an explanation of solar system formation models.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

as no other video I've found on youtube has as good an explanation of solar system formation models.

I agree and the animation/pics were well done so I thought it was worthy of posting on ATS...Unfortunately it seems not many are interested in celestial mechanics and how we perceive (are finding) the universe to be put together with the interactions by gravity and it's effect on matter and celestial bodies...real science is boring to many even though the vid is about observations more than theories..

It is one heck of a violent universe out there; more so than once thought... and as the video implied we are lucky to have this time to evolve and ponder our place in it. .Planets without suns, suns that belong to no galaxy, black holes everywhere, along with super strings of the universe and the traffic jams of Galaxies....what is there to not ponder?

new topics

top topics

join