It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do I have to do to get Mods to deal with someone derailing my thread?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I have posted a thread dealing with a specific topic which affects Christians. It is not about Christianity. It however has been over 3 days of dealing with one member who refuses to stay on topic. He has his own agenda and no matter how much I have asked him to start his own thread dealing with his views, he just wants to distract from the OP, insult people (against T&S) and he refuses to stop!

I have asked others to stop engaging him.

I have sent 3 alerts over the past 3 days and nothing seems to be getting done. I have sent 2 pm's to moderators hoping the will deal with hit. I know ATS if busy, but I would think within 3 days you could deal with it!

Whatever your views are about religion or Christianity as long as it's a reply about the OP I am fine. Calling people names, baiting people, throwing out all kinds of issues not related to the OP seems to be against the spirit of open communication.

SO JUST WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET MODERATORS TO DEAL WITH THESE CONSTANT VIOLATIONS?

EDIT TO ADD THE THREAD LOCATION.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 31-7-2013 by UnifiedSerenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Mods don't ignore people, in my experience. If they aren't getting back to you, especially that many attempts? I'm guessing they are looking into it and something about it is taking more time than usual? Perhaps watching to see what happens or waiting to see something else?

Anyway.. I wouldn't expect this thread to stay up (Threads about other members..) but hopefully this helps a bit?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

There are a few possibilities here: a mod who moderates the forum which you have posted in hasn't seen the alert yet.

or, they may have decided that the alerted posts require no action, (if there's name-calling and rudeness, I find this to be more unlikely.) What might appear rude to some, might only be a dissenting opinion to others.

Just send the alert when you see a breach of site rules and then it's time to let go of the matter! It's in more capable hands by then.

I understand your frustration though. Good luck getting your threads and posts back on track.
edit on 1-8-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Never mind, there was an edit to the OP which makes my post here invalid.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies. I am just frustrated. After 16 pages of this derailing and name calling it needs to stop. I am just frustrated at this point.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnifiedSerenity
Thanks for the replies. I am just frustrated. After 16 pages of this derailing and name calling it needs to stop. I am just frustrated at this point.

I understand. I dealt with a "derailer" once who pretty much got 2 whole pages of replies removed on my thread

It took quite a while before it caught the attention of any mods though. Just be patient, and if nothing comes of it, just grin and bear it. Ignore the troublesome poster and carry on.

Learning when to reply and when to ignore certain posts is an art.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Well OP, in reference to the frustration I can clearly see in your words and thread? I'll say I had first thought to make a post only halfway helpful and half way snarky sensing someone with real thin skin who could use a little thickening. ......then I read over your thread by figuring the 300+ reply one in your profile had to be the one.

Ummm..... I'm really glad I had checked and considered before replying. Basically, don't feel like you're alone. If I'd been in your thread, honestly? I'd have dropped an alert myself as a concerned member and done it a few pages before that. It's...quite a display there.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Sometimes I think it matters more about who you know and if you are a "buddy" with one of the mods.

I've noticed the mods are quick to reply with an iron fist on some topics that are light hearted and borderline against the T&C.

It's obvious who your complaint is against and I understand, good luck.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I can offer a little bit of advice... I am a Christian (Gnostic Christian... take that for what it is), and you basically have two choices. You can do the Christian thing... forgive them in your heart if they offend you, and then move on... or, you can just move on. The great thing about ATS is the wide variety of viewpoints that you will encounter every day... embrace them, learn from them. I was raised Catholic, but I claim Gnosticism as my faith... if I had stoically held fast to what I was taught in Catholic schools, I would have never opened my mind to the Gnostic teachings and my spiritual growth would be stunted. Faith without spiritual growth is no better than memorization without understanding. I know people that can quote scripture all day with no thought given to the meaning of what they are reciting. I enjoy dealing with the occasional troll; I play to my strengths... a sharp mind and rapier wittiness... that is what works for me. Others take the more cerebral approach and debate them point by point... but, remember what they are looking for from you... an emotional response. If you get emotional, they will work you over...

Peace

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by playernumber13

Sometimes I think it matters more about who you know and if you are a "buddy" with one of the mods.

Hmm, I'm skeptical of this. I'm not really a buddy with any of the mods nor do I run into any particularly often. And yet, they've always been helpful, courteous, and prompt.

(obvious sucking up?
)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

(obvious sucking up? )

Hmm....I wouldn't know but it sounds about right.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I am going to comment only because I'm tired of wathching threads go down the drain.

I don't post replies on religous topics because there seems to be too much anger, go figure right.

This is NOT personal, so please don't take it that way.

I think you set yourself up in at least two ways, you started off by saying this;

"I see many threads with vehement hatred towards us backwards and stiff necked narrow minded Christians"
( you were asking for a fight )

and then you engaged in an (argument) with the people that were attacking your point of view.

I also don't think you were prepared for punches being thrown at you just on the first page alone, like another poster said, you should just re-group your thoughts and let this thread go, you can always start a new thread, right.

Hope that helps

Peace

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   

UnifiedSerenity

I've seen a couple of the recent complaints, and honestly, didn't immediately see an actionable issue.

You posted a religiously-charged concept in the General Conspiracies forum, and one (or more) members has a contrarian opinion to yours -- that's how this works. Granted, I haven't the time to review the entire thread, but the "insults" I saw were directed at followers of a religion, not specific ATS members -- which is valid while remaining in context.

Instead of complaining of someone who disagrees, why not spend more time refining your ideas and refute with stronger positions and evidence?

Also, this thread will help ---> The Rise Of The ATS Invertebrate: or, it takes a spine to be a conspiracy theorist

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Holy crud. Just saw the thread link... Don't ever feed a troll. The results won't be nice. You can choose not to respond to them. Once you fight on their terms and not your own, you have lost.

Good luck and hope that thread mellows out.

Edit: Or you can have XxNightAngelusxX tear them apart. Linky to NightA's Dominance.
edit on 1-8-2013 by ChuckNasty because: as above...

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

UnifiedSerenity

I've seen a couple of the recent complaints, and honestly, didn't immediately see an actionable issue.

You posted a religiously-charged concept in the General Conspiracies forum, and one (or more) members has a contrarian opinion to yours -- that's how this works. Granted, I haven't the time to review the entire thread, but the "insults" I saw were directed at followers of a religion, not specific ATS members -- which is valid while remaining in context.

Instead of complaining of someone who disagrees, why not spend more time refining your ideas and refute with stronger positions and evidence?

Also, this thread will help ---> The Rise Of The ATS Invertebrate: or, it takes a spine to be a conspiracy theorist

My post was about the written books and other documents that show some of the most revered in the New Age community openly state that Christianity is a cancer and we need to be killed off. It is not a thread debating the history of Christianity, but the actual open declaration to destroy it, to infiltrate it, and once they have the control they want to implement their theology and anyone who does not get on board needs to be removed.

The one derailing the thread started with their first reply and continued to ignore the topic and choose to discuss what they wanted to, baiting members, calling them mentally ill, ignorant, illogical etc.. If you post a thread about doping in sports and I spend the next 16 pages railing against left handed batters how is that not derailing it when I say you are to stupid to understand? Thanks for your comments though, and hopefully people will learn that not every topic is about their pet issue.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   

I read that thread, and honestly... it takes two to tango.

Maybe the reason mods ignored it is because people complain here all the time that someone is trolling or derailing their thread and most of the time it is just because that person disagrees with them and has been arguing with them. At least, that is how it looks to an outside observer. When its your own ego taking a hit then it can seem offensive.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Unfortunatley, ATS mods do not seem to care when members insult people. They claim they are just expressing an opinion but we cal see these are insults...nothing less.

This is why many 'older more mature' people have left ATS. It has gone downhill over the last few years.

As skeptic overlord states.....he is voicing his opinion. Yeah, right. By throwing personal insults at people who disagree with them.

I have has issues with this user also but realise the mods dont give a damn.

I have been visiting ATS for many years and have just recently re-joined as a member. Im very disappointed with the way it has gone and will not use ats much anymore as threads are constantly getting derailed and insults are rife.

It's no longer a pleasure reading people insulting eachother. I like conspiracies, reading about other peoples beliefs as this is fascinating.......cant seem to do it on ATS anymore. If you state you have a belief in anything....mindless immature people always insult and criticize. Too many young badly educated kids on here who wouldnt dare even look at you if you met them face to face.

There is no need for insults, the mods have failed us all here!!!!!! AGAIN.

ATS has changed massivley and not for the better.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnifiedSerenity
It however has been over 3 days of dealing with one member who refuses to stay on topic. He has his own agenda and no matter how much I have asked him to start his own thread dealing with his views, he just wants to distract from the OP, insult people (against T&S) and he refuses to stop!

You should stop feeding the troll.
Really.

If people (everywhere) did a better job at ignoring the likes of him, we would all see a lot less trolling.
It works IRL too!

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I find it best after awhile to simply stop engaging in conversation with anyone whom simply cannot stay on the actual topic.
Eventually they will get bored and move on.

There is a difference of course between opposition to a topic, with occasional moving off topic, and a full blown derailment...but ultimately, yeah...as the saying goes..don't feed the trolls.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Op sure likes a good cry

First everyone is trying to kill the christians now the mods will not do what you want them to do.....why not join a christian website where everyone will agree with you.
I bet you will think the mods are doing it because you are christian also

edit on 1-8-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join