It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My philosophical theory: all things are true simultaneously

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Malaclypse the Younger Malaclypse the Younger > Quotes

Malaclypse the Younger quotes (showing 1-8 of 8)
“All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.”
― Malaclypse the Younger, Principia Discordia

I think he beat you to it.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GeneralChaos

Marvelous quote! I really appreciate you posting it.

Yeah, I know my thinking and ideas are hardly original, but it's still something on my mind. Wherever it came from is not important to me. I'm not trying to stake a claim

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wandering Scribe

I've always approached this type of quandary from a different standpoint.

A "personal truth" can be both true and false at the same time. This would be the example of extraterrestrial existence you mentioned; whether aliens exist, or not, is a matter of personal truth: it depends entirely on what you believe. Belief, however, is not factual, it is faithful, and faith is not empirical, faith is accepting a thing without evidence.

A "universal truth" can only be true. This would be something like... atoms are composed of protons, electrons, and neutrons. No matter what we believe, or have faith in, every atom that exists is a combination of protons, electrons, and neutrons. This is a universal truth. You can preach all day long that atoms are composed of Swiss Cheese and Lincoln Logs, but it simply will not be so.

As for the barber conundrum:

In a village, the barber shaves everyone who does not shave himself, but no one else.

Himself is a reflexive/intensive pronoun, it refers to the Barber, not to the townsfolk. The Barber shaves everybody that does not shave their own hair. This means that anybody can shave the Barber, because only the Barber has a prerequisite to meet when it comes to shaving, and, as long as they only shave the Barber, and not their own hair, then the Barber can shave them.

~ Wandering Scribe

I agree but wanna add:
The personal truth is an idol/view/simplification of the real truth and the whole truth of "what is" includes all individual views. You can by not being specific say things that are "real truth" because the include the things that are unknown to you. The only way to know the truth is to know everything that is. I am settling for a idol that I am going to improve as I experiance more things about what is.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Village Idiot
I don't know if I should give this thread a star and flag?

Oh well..... there, I just did.................. n't

All kidding aside, I too have thought about this, do we live in a universe with singular fixed truths, or many?

All roads lead to Rome......... ?

Shhhh. You are pushing the dualist minds of thinking they know the truth.
. Many maps can be more or less useful but can try to describe the same thing.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

I was just kidding.

It is funny how people sometimes separated by lifetimes can make the same profound
observations totally independent of each other .

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Well I believe everything is deceptive.
So maybe these ideas should meet and form a universe?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Whether or not all things are true simultaneously, one must consider that one did not exist before one was born, and less than one hundred years after one's passing one will be completely forgotten, and not be here either.

If one never existed, which by deduction is true (Unless one ascribes to some hokey "life after death" religiohooey),nothing matters.

Knowing nothing matters is a freeing sensation, the other thing about "nothing" is it's potential for anything and everything.

The most potential exists in nothing, nothing is everything.

We be creeping into Chaos/Quantum/String theory here.

Cool though that we are supposedly made of matter, but we don't matter at all.
edit on 1-8-2013 by MyHappyDogShiner because: stoooooooopid

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
That old adage "Blessing in disguise" backs such theories.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
one must consider that one did not exist before one was born,

If one never existed, which by deduction is true (Unless one ascribes to some hokey "life after death" religiohooey),nothing matters.

The ignorance in the this post is typical and is both funny and sad at once.

I must ask, who is the one who gets the honor of declaring what IS and what is NOT Hokey "life after death" religion hooey?

I am guessing you were the one elected to office?

The FACT (if you want to talk facts which I am supposing you don't, feel free to prove me wrong) is that we (if there is such a thing as individuated consciousness) are energy. all things are energy in fact.

Now then,
any one who has graduated high school will remember that energy can neither be created nor destroyed.

which can only mean that we collectively or individually are all that is, was, or ever shall be.
We always were and we always will be.
I would suppose that energy can take many different forms along the way but, in the end,
there it still is.

Now then, your supposition that there is a "you" to begin with is what makes me giggle.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Just remember truth is a justified belief not fact. A matter of Fact and a matter of Truth are two different matters. A truth is like an argument, if logically sound without sensible dispute it will be widely held until such time a stronger argument/truth comes along to take its place.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   

All snakes bite/strangle and are therefore dangerous.
Then you changed to the classic is it a rope or a snake question.
How do you know your perception is not always off and the world is actually not a rattlesnake?

PERCEPTION( and it is perception based- not truth)visual perception/recognition of things/objects is not truth its just a mode of perception.Seeing seen and seer which one is "true"?

Let me give an example of OPINION(not truth but just an idea): some people think you are a nice fellow, while others might think you are jerk. What determines which of these opinions are true? NONE.Is it that I am a jerk to some people and I am nice to others or is it just their bias opinion? Even if 10 people think youre nice, and only 5 still say you're a jerk, are both opinions true for whom at the same time? What about adding your own personal opinion about yourself, isn't that the only one that will count for you in the end?
Isn't it just talking opinions and not truths.
Its an assessment of an opinion.No truth.

There is no law of (non)contradiction in duality.
Then you again confuse truth with conflicting BELIEFS about aliens.
The meaning of truth cannot be changes to be merely opposing opinions,different perceptions,opposing beliefs or the infinite possibility of the manifestation of any/all things.

To BE or not to BE. Have you ever not existed, if your answer is yes how do you know?
Life is for living .

edit on 3-8-2013 by BDBinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
All things are false simultaneously, too

Every single infinite possibility for every infinite moment happens at once *finger snap*
edit on 3-8-2013 by Euphony because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
To be or not to be... that's the question.

Do you exist or do you not?

Can both be the truth?

There is a Zen riddle methinks about this.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Reality is made of nothing and everything at the same time.
This is nothing appearing to happen.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by BDBinc

To BE or not to BE. Have you ever not existed, if your answer is yes how do you know?

Does the seer appear to exist?

In this moment there is what is appearing. Colour is appearing, sound is appearing and thoughts and sensations are also of the appearance.
You are the seer and knower of the appearance - can the seer be seen? Does the seer appear to exist?

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I am reminded of something from a few years ago, 'if a leaf falls from a tree in the forest and no one hears it, did it make a sound'?

I have been thinking about time and earth's time and how it influences the cosmos and then down into my life. My neighbour died some years ago and another family have moved into her house. I can still see her charging down from her front door, grinning at me and waving as she went. Today she's as real when I think about her yet there is no sign that she ever existed, due to the changes the new family have made.

Is it heart and mind that pull things together that should empirically be impossible yet, I see her. She is there in my truth but she is not.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shiloh7
I am reminded of something from a few years ago, 'if a leaf falls from a tree in the forest and no one hears it, did it make a sound'?

For sound to be sound it has to be perceived.
Can anything appear without being perceived?

Can what appears be primary to that which perceives? Or is it one thing?

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Village Idiot
I don't know if I should give this thread a star and flag?

Oh well..... there, I just did.................. n't

All kidding aside, I too have thought about this, do we live in a universe with singular fixed truths, or many?

All roads lead to Rome......... ?
uh uh,
I've recently read an interesting book "Parallel Universe of The Self" which gives a plenitude of ideas...
however, seems that duality is a brick and mortar of physically (at least) accessible universes.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

In this moment there is what is appearing. Colour is appearing, sound is appearing and thoughts and sensations are also of the appearance.
You are the seer and knower of the appearance - can the seer be seen? Does the seer appear to exist?

'The Atman or the innermost Self is the ultimate perceiver. If a perceiver for the Atman is sought, the inquiry will turn back into a regressus ad infinitum.'

edit on 3-8-2013 by BDBinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

"There is only seeing; both the seer and the seen are contained in it."

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join