It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think you know your cat? Think again: New video demystifies feline body language - and reveals they

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Think you know your cat? Think again: New video demystifies feline body language - and reveals they probably DON'T want their tummy stroked

Source Here

In one example behavior-
Cats blink slowly and then turn their heads to the side:to show they trust you and are relaxed.

Another-
On belly rubbing, while the cat will expose their belly as a greeting to show they are trusting, cats favor protection of their sensitive area that can be exposed to predators, thus as why they can scratch if you rub their belly.

Every cat owner likes to think they share a special bond with their feline friend, but experts believe that many people might be missing the chance to communicate effectively.

Britain's leading cat charity has produced a video guide to cat behaviour after a study found many owners struggle to understand their pet.k

Video from the article.

Source

Animal behavior, while fascinating, is often misunderstood, while we relate them to humans all too often. There's been a lot lately coming out about canine behavior, such as how they can read our faces and to how they have even their own distinct facial emotions that we pay attention to.

With felines, being in some places the most owned companion animal, there still persists common misunderstanding of behavior and care. This article and video shares uncommon information about feline behavior. In hopes to promote curbing the misunderstandings that can end with the cat being in a shelter, on the street or worse. Also, of course, general ownership understanding of these companion animals.

Not even to mention because it's also in promotion for:Animals/Pets Forum? www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 31-7-2013 by dreamingawake because: video and color fix

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

I know my cat pissed me off by spraying that smelly spray right next to my chair, I wanted to drop kick him so bad.
He knew it to, he avoided me for two days after that.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
My cat is so lovable like that. We blink at each other all the time, and when I walk onto the patio when he's sitting out there, he'll jump down and roll around on his back as though he's rubbing it on the concrete. And he answers when I say hello, and, and...

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
That slow blinking... that isn't love; it means they are up to no good...

My cat does that all of the time, and he is ALWAYS contemplating some nefarious deed...

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by madmac5150

Murder and Mayhem "When Iam as big as a house YOU will be my mouse"

love the little guys but if they were big Iam sure we would be their food.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I don't think that cat's are from this planet. They are truly a one-of-a-kind animal. I adore them dearly.

However, I've met a few cats in my time that appreciated a good tummy rub.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
My cat started his life ferrel. He is a piece of work and fits right in with the psycological "uniqueness" of our family

His registered name is Cat!
I could'nt think of a better handle for him.

and yes I know that if we matched each other pound for pound he would eventually, one day, mangle the hell out me.
and afterward I know he'd still like me the best!
I find that facet of his personality appealing.
edit on 31-7-2013 by grubblesnert because: spellin'

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

If you didnt know any of the information in this video, either by research or observation, and you own a cat, then officially I pity the hell out of you. I learned all this stuff from my friends cat. If you need to be told these things, then theres no helping you !

On the other hand, its good to know this information is being distributed for the unwary.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Nice replies

Originally posted by TrueBrit

If you didnt know any of the information in this video, either by research or observation, and you own a cat, then officially I pity the hell out of you. I learned all this stuff from my friends cat. If you need to be told these things, then theres no helping you !

On the other hand, its good to know this information is being distributed for the unwary.

You'd be shocked however, I learned from being in the veterinary field that common sense or even general animal care is well, not so common. Not to say that is horrible on the potential and or pet owner's considerations, you do have to learn somehow if you are unfamiliar with certain animals. Cats often fall into that category, but then again they can said to be an enigma to science(healing times, etc). Indeed hope it helps out those unaware, as to why the video was produced in the first place, much thanks for their effort.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sharingan

I know my cat pissed me off by spraying that smelly spray right next to my chair, I wanted to drop kick him so bad.

Good thing you didn't act, that may have injured him badly which in turn he'd bleed to death or have to be put down if not having surgery, overall cost you a lot of money and trouble. How about neutering him, it's best for the both of you(considering you have not yet for him):
A neutered male cat is way more pleasant to be around. Neutering should curb spraying as well as roaming, loud meowing..., some males neutered later on in life continue but only a bit- with less smell as well.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Lol, I was exaggerating a bit... I would never had done that but I did rub his nose in it and pop his butt and Ill do it again if he does it again.
Hes a good cat and Id never hurt the little bastard but that stuff smells disgusting..
I should also add that it wasnt the first time, he has also sprayed the back pack that I carry my laptop and lunch in when i go to work

edit on 31-7-2013 by Sharingan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
It's pretty damn obvious that most cats do not like being scratched on the stomach... label me completely unimpressed.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I am fairly good at communicating with cats. They seem to be about as intelligent as humans, although if you treat them like animals they will get angry and spiteful and sabotage you to show their discontent.

Communicating with cats involves watching their body language, using your body language and speaking to them like a human hoping they eventually catch on to human language.

When a cat meows, he or she is communicating with you. Listen to the tone of the meow. Is it a question? Is it a command? Is it an observation? Is it excitement? Does the cat want attention? Does the cat want food?

My cat Max recently meowed to call attention to the fact that he wanted some parts of my room clean so that he could more easily navigate over shelves and tables. When Max wants out of the room, he will look at me and stand next to the door.

If you want your cat to learn something, teach them using body language. I teach my cats not to get in my work area, which is the area directly in front of me. My cat Elmer likes to cuddle, so I am teaching him how to lay still to my right -

Meanwhile, I found out that Max likes classical music. Both cats know how to open and close doors even if they are shut.

Cats can basically learn whatever, as long as it makes sense and has utility.

People can have trouble communicating with cats if:

1) The people are too arrogant to treat the cat as an equal

2) The person in question is bad at communication, and doesn't understand tonal or body language

3) The person in question is shallow, and expects the cat to perform petty tricks for his or her entertainment

4) The person in question is controlling and has rules with no intelligent point
edit on 1-8-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-8-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
We have a black cat. Last year, our neighbors 3 houses down also got a black cat. I can't tell them apart unless they are closer than around 12 feet from me. It has happened twice that I let our cat in from the rain, only to find out several hours later that I let in the wrong cat, and our cat is peering through the window from outside in the rain.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   

kick ur cat n make it sing

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I am owned by 8 (eight) cats. And As I write this, two of them have their claws at my throat, right over my juggular vein. I am to tell you all on ATS these cats are the best, they are not from another planet, and the food dish be empty. I will comply as I dont want to become kibble. Love my cats, my cats love me. I think they know I had their "stones" taken from them. On a serious note. The worlds best stress releif is petting your cat, when he/she wants you too.

I give all my cats a nationality. They are as follows. Southern American ( Maynard ) Irish/Red ( Sampson ) French ( Fat Boy) German (Minnie Kitty) Russian (Itty Bitty Kitty) Russian/American (Gracie) daughter of Maynard & Itty Bitty Kitty. And last but not least, Claude & Darkness other wise known as " Darky & The Doon Coon" My two new juveniles. They are solid Middle Eastern Terrorists.
edit on 1-8-2013 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-8-2013 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sharingan

They only discharge when you startle or scare them.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I've certain learned my share of recognizing animal behavior over the years. At least cats and dogs are predators though, so certain things in common.

For horses, it's way different. They are geared more as a "prey" animal, so a lot of different rules for them. Most people want to treat a horse like a big dog. They are FAR different in mindset.

Odd truth on most animals though...when they pin their ears back, they are mad about something. Whether cats, dogs, or horses, they all do this.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by spartacus699

kick ur cat n make it sing

Nope just trolls. Made one go all silent though

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
We always had dogs at our house, but a neighbor down the street had a very neat black and white cat named Mo. He would walk around the neighborhood and visit everyone. When I saw him approaching, I'd say hi and he would always answer back with this very cool greeting meow. It was really more like a trill. If you were sitting on the patio, he'd jump up on the table, sit there and just look at you. I'd scratch his head and stroke the side of his face and he'd purr like crazy. He'd hang out for about ten minutes, then move on.
He lived way beyond the average cat life span. I think he reached 22 or 23.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join