It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Out of sight out of mind...get rid of the homeless...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
How is this even passing and not getting any attention from the last few times it has been implemented. This just seems so wrong to me it's ridiculous. The answer to the problem is to get rid of the homeless by purchasing them a one way ticket out and burdening the economy of another state? Does the other state have any repercussions because of this? Or do they have any say in getting another mouth to feed on their economy? Hell with this type of mentality why not just ship them all to Detroit....nothing there anyways. WTF?

Source

Lawmakers in the Aloha State want to wave goodbye to their growing homeless population -- by buying them a one-way ticket off the island. Hawaii's controversial three-year “Return to Home” pilot program launches later this year and is being billed as a way to help the state’s 17,000 homeless residents, while reducing the financial burden the state has in caring for them. Under the plan, the state will pay for a one-way plane ticket for any homeless resident who can find someone on the mainland to take them in.

Patricia McManaman, director of the Department of Human Services – the agency tasked with implementing the program -- told lawmakers she had reservations about the plan to send the state’s homeless away and questioned the program’s funding. She also had a problem with language in the bill that suggests homeless people are in need of “sufficient personal hygiene” in order to travel – something she calls an “unnecessary and inappropriate stereotype.”

But Mizuno argues it’s time the state get on board with a plan that he claims can help up to 100 homeless Hawaiians a year.

So....how is this helping these people exactly? They are just displacing someone with problems in one place to another place with the same problems. And HELL yes I think if they are doing this they need to make sure the person has sufficient personal hygiene to travel.

Ideas like this just leave me dumbfounded at the people that come up with them and how they sleep at night.
edit on 7/31/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

But at least Fox News knows to call politicians criminals...

City commissioners in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., recently green-lighted a $25,000 program to get the homeless out of their area. Funding for The Homeless Reunification Program is taken out of the Florida Law Enforcement Trust Fund, which is made up of money confiscated by criminals.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
So this is how I just heard this...

I can go to hawaii on a one way trip and they will spring for the return flight?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Well played my friend well played

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Man I can see this escalating if the Northern State Governors ( Alaska, Maine, Minnesota, Vermont, ect) decided to ship their homeless to Hawaii.

Placing adds in city parks and bus stops:

Homeless? Freezing? Want a FREE one way ticket to Hawaii?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Its like the south park episode with the homeless.

Chaaannnnngggggeeee?

Should print flyers saying how awesome it is for the homeless in Hawaii.

Maybe start a charity that ships homeless to Hawaii from places where its too cold in the winter, always found Hawaiians to be far to full of them selves and their islands.

(married to a Hawaiian)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Under the plan, the state will pay for a one-way plane ticket for any homeless resident who can find someone on the mainland to take them in.

Good luck with that. Seeking: Benevolent rich people who don't mind "homeless" people sleeping on their couch, watching TV, using the bathroom and eating your food while you are gone to work.

Can anyone else see the connection between "unwanted" people and the corporate jail system that is always looking for more (ahem), revenue?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
For crying out loud don't send them here to southern California, I'm already tripping over them when I walk out my front door. Literally.

I feel sorry for the ones that have bats in the belfry, but there are a lot of them that are perfectly capable of working but choose not to. Hanging out in front of 7-11 pan handling for beer money is more lucrative.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Now wait a second here... I thought "Liberals/Progressives" claimed to be the party of compassion, and Hawaii is a most definite blue state... so, what gives? I guess all of that compassion wears off when it involves NIMBYs...

S&F OP...
edit on 31-7-2013 by madmac5150 because: Caffeine induced cranial clarity

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Not a bad idea. The city where i live just got direct flights to Hawaii! I just might take them up on the return ticket after living on the beach for a bit!
Definitely food for thought

top topics

join