It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New antibiotic that attacks MRSA found in ocean microbe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
A completely new and unusual antibiotic compound has been extracted from a marine microorganism found in sediments off the coast of California.

The discovery of genuinely novel antibiotics is rare, and experts say resistance to the drugs poses a grave threat to human health. US scientists say the new compound, called anthracimycin, seems to be effective at killing MRSA and anthrax.
The unique chemical structure of the compound could lead to up a new class of antibiotic medicines.
The Infectious Disease Society of America has expressed concern that the rate of antibiotic development to counter resistance is insufficient. This makes this latest discovery particularly welcome news.
The structure of anthracimycin, described by Kyoung Hwa Jang and co-workers from Scripps in their journal paper, is unlike any previously-reported natural antibiotic.

Initial testing of the antibiotic compound has demonstrated it efficacy in attacking anthrax and also showed significant activity against the MRSA superbug.

This looks promising

Just think how much more potential cures/medicines there could be waiting to be discovered in our vast oceans.

Link
edit on 31-7-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Thank God and thank you for sharing! ! My wife has one toe less than God gave her, thanks to that evil damn bug. One of these days, we're going to reach deep in the 'ol Doctor's trick bag and find nothing left to pull out. I'm very glad it doesn't sound like this will be that day. Not with MRSA anyway.

Now FAST! Pass some laws to make control of this downright Draconian. No handing it out like popcorn at a matinee so the bugs all get resistant to this, as well......when they eventually have something on the market, of course. Also, for God's sake and the love of humanity, DON'T feed THIS one to livestock!

Who needs to take half courses of antibiotics to build bug resistance. We eat them in low levels every day.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
This is wonderful news! Now, i have only one request. This drug should be strictly monitored, only to be used for 100% confirmed MRSA.
edit on 31-7-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
So the race is on by US corporations to synthesize and patent the compound.

They salivate over any drug that is "life-saving" not many of those exist. Premium pricing models in effect for any drug that actually works and a bonus for a drug that works and the side effects that don't kill a % of customers.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
This right here is effective against mrsa

www.amazon.com...

silvasorb. I've been reading up on it.

Provides a quick and easy way to protect burns, cuts, scrapes and other wounds from infections

Effective against MRSA and other antibiotic-resistant organisms

Its ability to regulate moisture at the wound site helps in sustaining an optimal healing environment

Releases silver at a controlled level for broad spectrum antimicrobial action, without harming tissue cells

I posted the other day on how silver has been shown in tests to treat bacteria.
some of the posts on amazon praise it's effectiveness.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

This is the greatest new since "sliced bread" for me!!! Outstanding Lady T!~ Thank you for sharing! This will be the talk at the dinner table with my Nurse! SnF

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Its such a horrible old bug! I am sorry to hear that your wife had it, it would be one of my main fears upon ever having to stay in hospital for an operation or anything like that.

I did not know that about injecting livestock with antibiotics! seems such a silly idea.

and yep I agree, no running to the docs with sniffles for antibiotics

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I appreciate the sentiment and I'll pass it along as she rarely logs in herself. In her case and for your information in context to this? She had a double infection that all came from an ingrown toenail that got complicated. They identified the top infection..treated it..but never cultured anything. They guessed. That was enough since they guessed right on the top one. Unfortunately? MRSA was beneath it and deeper. A very nasty little bugger.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

and to stem from something so small, jeez you would never expect MRSA to come from something like that, well I would'nt ( until now ), it just shows you how dangerous it is, yikes! I am glad she is better now

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

My Father has contracted MRSA in a open wound of his foot. He has already received surgical removal of the dead cells, and anti-biotic treatment. Knowing MRSA nasty little habit of being resistant to anti-biotic's, this may be an interesting alternative should the need arise..

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Every thing we need is given to us in nature, the problem is that when comes to natural remedies or remedies found in nature big pharma can not profit because it can not patent nature.

Thank god for that. but sadly it means that it holds not interest to big pharma and unless they can imitate the natural compounds in a laboratory they do not give a crap of how many people are in need of new and modern medications.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
One has to wonder if the constant exposure to all the EMF's are not creating the superbugs? Back in the day folks blasted everything with all forms of radiation just to see what would happen, and some freaky things occurred. The wifi, cell, tv, sat signal and on and on has to be creating some mutations along the way. My guess is should we live a few more years, we'll see a world of unstoppable mutant germs running rampant - but at least we'll be able to post about it on facebook from anywhere in the world.

top topics

join