It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinner lady sacked for accidentally serving pork to a Muslim pupil.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Can I add one little detail that isn't being mentioned and COULD have an effect, when the company who employed the woman commented on her firing they actually pointed out that this wasn't her first mistake, they did not go in to what the other mistake(s) were but lets imagine just for the sake of fairness that she made a habit of allowing kids she knew should not have pork to have it as a bit of a go at them.

Now that would throw this whole thing around, I think the company needs to clear up what he past mistakes were so we know the true story.

Personally by looking at the woman on TV I think it was a genuine mistake, with so many kids to keep track of its easy to miss one and its not like she suggested the child have the pork, the child chose it. Huge mistake made in an attempt to appease the family, madness.

But there's something tied to this that needs to be addressed, this child chose the meat from a choice but when I go into my supermarket I'm in most cases given ZERO choice on meat as most places now purely serve Halal meat, so there is me being forced if I want meat to buy and eat that because the time and pain to go and find a non Halal butcher is not cost effective.

What would happen if the school system said that for the sake of clarity all meat will be non Halal, there would be a huge outcry from Muslim families with reason but now I'm forced to either not eat meat or buy the FORCED Halal products.

I don't like Halal stuff because of a taste difference (my in laws are Muslim and the lamb etc just seems drier than non Halal and she's a good cook. I also do not like the killing method, that might be picky to some but I think if you must kill animals then make it as quick and painless, slicing a throat without pain relief and watching the poor animal in pain from the cut pumping its blood out from fear and pain while hung upside down is cruelty.

And despite assurances from slaughter houses it IS a cruel deliberately painful practice as the rely on the fear to get the blood out.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
First of all I think it is an over-reaction.
In recent times there has been an increase in food allergies, for various reasons and with all the other dietary requirements I'm sure it does get quite confusing at times.
Perhaps they could look at the existing process and see where it broke down and how they can improve upon it to ensure there is no repeat.
And as a responsible employer maybe they should look at what further training they could provide to help the dinner lady concerned.

However, it appears that this isn't the first mistake the person has made so who knows what events preceded this?
Unfortunately we'll probably never know as it now costs £1200 to take cases of unfair dismissal to a tribunal - I don't know any dinner ladies who have a spare £1200.

And as for claims that it's quite hard to sack someone - it's actually becoming very easy.
Government legislation has made it easier for companies to 'sack' workers and they apparently intend to make it even easier.

But I digress.

It's right that schools should seek to cater for all dietary requirements - when practical - but surely the responsibility should be shared equally between the educators, the parents, the employers and the employee's - taking things on face value it seems to me as if the employee has been made to take full responsibility and has paid with her job.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
Thank god the poor boy didn't eat the pork. Otherwise we would be reading about him getting stoned to death for being tainted. We should show no tolerance to those who have no tolerance.

Right, because all Muslims are like the Taliban?

Even the comments on the Daily Fail site are not expressing such extreme and ignorant opinions as you, and that's saying something!

To the OP, I agree it was heavy-handed. I think this is a case of the school taking a drastic measure and getting it completely wrong. It's fair to assume that they were worried about looking as though they didn't care about the issue, but they've gone in the completely opposite direction and over-reacted.

She shouldn't have been fired. I would go so far as to say that kids with special dietary needs should be provided what they need by their families too. If a parent wants their kid to be vegetarian, gluten free, sugar free, or whatever, it should be down to the parents to make sure that happens. It should not be down to the schools (and therefore the state) to meet those needs.

When I was a kid, if I didn't want or like what the school was serving (and in those days it really was rubbish) I would bring my own lunch. Why has this changed? I guess it's another example of lazy parents wanting the world to raise their kids for them.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
If muslim groups are saying this is heavy handed, ever wonder where the harsh primitive sharia political agenda is coming from, its more poltical than religioius? Seems the government is into it alot, eh! Our western ones, and our western bankers! Not the muslims who don't want to go back to the primitive past either in large numbers.

Google Banna and Nazi.
edit on 2-8-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

I see a simple solution for this , so it will never happen again, they wear school uniforms right, right then have the uniforms have markings if what group you belong too M for well you know, I for the J's same reason E C A and P O if you have allergy there could be a subsection P W D L, see no problem.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

When I went to school you either ate the damned soup or you didn't eat the damned soup. End of story.

MOTF!

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

They are having to walk a very fine line at the moment I think especially following the public execution/murder of the British army soldier Lee Rigby in London.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

.....so it will never happen again, they wear school uniforms right, right then have the uniforms have markings if what group you belong too M for well you know,......

I know why, not get the Jews to wear a Star Of David, Muslims a crescent, Christians a cross.......perhaps we could all wear these identifiable symbols at all times so that we can avoid 'offending' anyone?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by occrest
Parents who insist on having special diets for themselves and their children should send lunches to school with their children. It is not the responsibility of the schools to ensure children adhere to special diets. Parents need to stop delegating their responsibilities to others.

I agree, but unfortunately when they do, their homemade lunches can be swiped away by heavy handed staff who believe that McD's Nuggets are healthier than anything Mom made. Our schools are beginning to sound like the Nanny State to me. And I'm being nice about my description.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Pork isn't about allergies, peanuts are.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

But there's something tied to this that needs to be addressed, this child chose the meat from a choice but when I go into my supermarket I'm in most cases given ZERO choice on meat as most places now purely serve Halal meat, so there is me being forced if I want meat to buy and eat that because the time and pain to go and find a non Halal butcher is not cost effective.
reply to post by Mclaneinc

I'm guessing you are in a heavily ethnic neighborhood or is everything like that in your country? I guess there's something to living in a place where people eat bison, elk, and venison and people bring their dogs to the ER for snake bite treatment.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Pork isn't about allergies, peanuts are.

Err, I know, I never said it was.
It's still a dietary requirement of some though regardless of my own personal choices or opinions.

I didn't intend to imply that at all, I thought I was pretty clear, obviously not - apologies.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Didn't the child select the dinner plate? If so why is it the lunch persons fault?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I find this part very telling...

British Muslim groups have branded the decision to sack her “heavy-handed” and an “overreaction”. While Alison today claimed she was being made a scapegoat - and is now too afraid to ever take another job as a dinner lady.

Now why can't we have Muslims in the US come out to condemn conduct like this when it's pretty objectionable to everyone? This is the 3rd or 4th time this year I've heard something that really irked me in England with Muslims, waited to see the reaction from the Muslim community, just to be shocked in seeing they AGREE.

Oh how refreshing it must be to have folks there that will speak up and speak out. So.....with even the Muslims saying this was a crock and over-kill, why isn't she re-instated with back pay for harassment? I'd call this serious professional harassment, given the circumstances. It almost sounds like the Muslims there would too?

Well that's just it. We have, more than once in fact. For example, Muslims Condemned the actions of 9/11 but were muted, the actions of Saddam Hussein when he jailed all those people in the 1980's however we don't own many or nearly any News Corporations. So it is very hard for this news to reach anyone outside the Mosque. My Mosque even had fund raisers for Katrina and the Boston Bombings, but of course it pales in comparison to the anti-Muslim propaganda. This is just another case of the same thing happening over and over. Should this person have gotten fired? OF COURSE not, that's just outrageous. This person was most likely a decent individual and enjoyed her job. It's a shame that they took it this far.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoMuslim

I really appreciate your input and addition to the topic. It's really a shame but there aren't near enough Muslims on ATS to really give the perspective of an average, every day man or woman just living their lives within the Faith.

There was one special lady here last year who was as curious about my Faith as I was (and am to some degree now) about Islam. She spent a number of evenings with me in a private chat room here, answering more of my questions than I feel I ever got to answering of hers, but the insight was truly a life changing thing for me. Not dramatic like music and rumbling in a movie ...but what she showed me led to more research and learning on my own and has resulted in a much more moderate approach to Islam and Muslims in general. (I'm ashamed to admit, at one time? I was among those 'Kill 'em all' types.
)

I just can't help but think if there were more like you and her and enough to feel mutual support in voicing unpopular positions many times, the retreat of ignorance could only be a good thing in the end.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

no letters would be used less offensive www.abovetopsecret.com... M for Muslim, I for Israel, C for Christan or Catholics and P for Protestants, O for Orthodox . if you have allergy's their wold be a sub letter P for peanuts, W for wheat, D for dairy, L for lactose intolerant. see no problem.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

"And as for claims that it's quite hard to sack someone - it's actually becoming very easy. Government legislation has made it easier for companies to 'sack' workers and they apparently intend to make it even easier."

Unless you work in UK education don't talk about you don't know about.
It's very difficult to dismiss employees in UK education & I speak from personal experience.
There are so any warnings & procedures to go through & if the employer messes up at any stage the case wont be heard.
All these processes for dismissal of irresponsible & or careless employees take up valuable time from both support & teaching staff (who are paid to teach but may have other roles in the school as well) also funds that should be spent on education not on fighting ignorant & selfish employees.
If only the UK public knew how much wasted funds & time are spent on unreliable education staff who have little regard for pupil education but are kept employed by schools because of measures brought in by Governments to keep people in employment so they don't have to pay social security to people who are nothing but lazy hunts!
Please don't try & come back with quotes from the media & other sources because the reality is very very different.

edit on 4-8-2013 by supamoto because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by supamoto

Unless you work in UK education don't talk about you don't know about.

I'll talk about whatever I feel like, what gives you the right to dictate when I can express an opinion or on what subject.

You know absolutely nothing about me, my life experiences and where I have or have not worked - not that any of that last bit is remotely relevant to this thread.

The current government has been very open and transparent in it's efforts to make it 'easier' to sack people and they only recently stated their intention to make it even easier.

Now I would never be so arrogant as to presume anything about your personal experiences but that is FACT!

ucu.group.shef.ac.uk...
www.independent.co.uk... ml

It's very difficult to dismiss employees in UK education & I speak from personal experience.

Good.
Workers rights need protecting.

There are so any warnings & procedures to go through & if the employer messes up at any stage the case wont be heard.

Yes, I know - but if an employee truly deserves sacking then it is relatively straight forward - I've had the unfortunate experience of sacking more people than I care to admit.
If the process and procedures are robust and rigorous enough then it really is pretty quick and easy - and getting easier.

All these processes for dismissal of irresponsible & or careless employees take up valuable time from both support & teaching staff (who are paid to teach but may have other roles in the school as well) also funds that should be spent on education not on fighting ignorant & selfish employees.

I agree, teachers should teach - maybe the reason they get caught up in administrative duties is due to the serial mismanagement of our education system by successive governments.

I notice you concentrate on the 'ignorant & selfish employees' and not on the exploitive and irresponsible employers or even the incompetent teachers, (yes, there are SOME teachers who are thoroughly incompetent and decidedly unsuited to the teaching profession who are protected - and yes, that is based on personal experience!).

If only the UK public knew how much wasted funds & time are spent on unreliable education staff who have little regard for pupil education but are kept employed by schools because of measures brought in by Governments to keep people in employment so they don't have to pay social security to people who are nothing but lazy hunts!

The public should know how much is 'wasted'.

I must say you seem quite an angry person - I don't know why you want to direct your anger at me, but.......
And you do seem to have quite a low regard for your fellow human beings.
Now I'm going to make an assumption here based on the tone and content of your post - I take it you are somehow connected to the teaching profession, possibly even a teacher.
If that's so then I sincerely hope none of my family etc ever have the misfortune of being taught by you - you remind me of all those angry teachers who took their frustrations and personal failings out on me rather than directing it at those ultimately responsible.

Please don't try & come back with quotes from the media & other sources because the reality is very very different.

I'll come back with whatever the hell I like.

After getting that out of my system, do you actually have anything relevant to contribute to this thread?

edit on 4/8/13 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join