It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinner lady sacked for accidentally serving pork to a Muslim pupil.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Well I have a true story about my sister Jeanette whom married a Revolutionary guard from Iran whom was in the UK on a student pass and on a Libyan passport called Javod, or ding ding as My elder brother calls him, one night my sister whom is nearly a head taller than him had a raging argument and the following morning she made bacon sandwiches which he happily scoffed down before she asked was that nice, he said yes and she said you have just eaten bacon, he was apparently in the bathroom for some time, I have since seen him drink me under the table and he uses pork in his pizza/kebab shop, I think he was wealthy before they overthrew the shah and lived to regret it.
On occasion the packet of bacon in the fridge has mysteriously been opened and several slices have disappeared I wonder were as my sister would say.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Maybe they should make them wear medic alert bracelets.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Why did they think the incident needed to be reported to the student's parents in the first place? It's not as though it was actually eaten. Just give the girl her usual and get on with the day.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I think it's total NONSENSE! Since when is a lunch lady a food warden? The kid pointed to the pork, he wanted the pork. he should've gotten the pork. If his parents, or ANY parents, have food restrictions then they should bring the kid his lunch and stand over him so he doesn't get what he wants. JEEZ!

I want my kids to chew each bite of food 21 times.
You let my kid swallow after 19 chews!

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Thank goodness someone else has seen the seriousness of this! This person is trained to her job & it is a very important job. Not because of muslims but because of dietary requirements by some pupils. Had she made the mistake of feeding someone with an allergy the wrong food a child could be dead now & we wouldn't be talking about muslims.
Please don't say she was treated unfairly because she was responsible for a very important reason.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by supamoto

I understand what you are saying, a peanut allergy can be quite serious, fatal in some cases.

If one of the children in the school had an allergy like this you could be pretty sure that the entire school would know about it and staff drilled on it.

They would'nt just hand the dinner lady a list of childs names and leave it at that, the way it was in this case.

I doubt the lady would make the same mistake regarding an allergy like that. ( at least I hope not )

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

In UK schools stupid amounts of money & time are spent on 'equal opportunities' training for all levels of staff. It is so because we want all pupils to be treated the same. The UK education system is all about embracing diversity (at the moment) & putting practices & measures in place to deal with it. This school had already put measures in place to address this situation.
I wasn't there so I can't say what happened in this incident but it would seem that something or someone failed here;
1. The child for making the wrong choice of food
2. The dinner lady for giving the wrong food
3. The school for not training its staff adequately
Maybe all of the above but if this person has been sacked then she must have been the weakest link imho.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   

You dont think it was too harsh?

Even Muslim groups think it was too harsh.

I feel sorry for her losing her job in this day and age, seemed very ruthless, no need for it.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

so there was no foul committed since she didn't eat it and the woman turned her in??

well why am I surprised women would do thta

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

It was harsh undoubtedly so but the consequences of her action were potentially life threatening (not because she fed pork to a Muslim) but because her actions were irresponsible. This person would have been given training for her job & with the training went responsibility; not only for food distribution but also as a representative of the school. Establishments seldom give training to this level of staff unless there is liability attached to the job. Training costs money & time to that establishment & they probably can't afford either as school kitchens are often understaffed & underfunded. .
The school can't afford incompetent staff representing them as they (the school) can be held financially liable for breeches or mistakes. The school has to put measures in place to prevent such incidents & I think they had in this case, that's why the dinner lady was held responsible. The school can't have this person making another careless mistake that they (the school) might be held responsible for.
Sadly she has had to accept the blame for this incident & really doesn't have any argument. Yes we all feel sorry for the 'poor lil' dinner lady & I do too, but the situation could have been so much worse all because a trained employee wasn't paying attention or was careless.
edit on 1-8-2013 by supamoto because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

First of all, in most schools the catering staff are not School employees, but rather employees of the contractor selected to supply the School (or schools in a district) with meals.

Secondly, the catering company, Lunchtime UK, has said that while they can't divulge all the details of this case (wouldn't want to jeopardise any tribunal) they said that they'd rarely dismiss anyone based on a single mistake, so you can bet there were other issues at hand.

It is actually quite difficult to sack someone in the UK unless they have done something worthy of "gross misconduct", which is really hard to do - that usually involves physical attack of fellow staff, drinking/drugs while on duty or so seriously buggering up your job you cost your business a ton of cash. So my belief is that we're not getting the whole story from this dinner lady.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Thank you for your statement & you have raised a very important point, It's not easy to dismiss a staff member in the UK.
Particularly staff that work for local councils & their contractors. I don't want say negative things about this person as I don't know her nor was I there to comment on the actual incident but you are 100% right that we don't know if there have been other incidents with this employee.
It is actually quite difficult to dismiss an employee in the UK.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
How is this important? Is Stormfront closed for the summer?

What is more crucial is why pre-schools in countries like Sweden have exchanged pork with chicken when it should be an alternative, not an automatic decision based on political correctness.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
lol i agree with what jiggerj said.
but also this story is probably made up.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha

Please tell me this isn't a public school?

Please tell me Public Schools aren't catering to these people?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FuZe7

A Public school in the UK is actually a private school - one you pay for.

But, I understand what you mean - this is a State run school, yes.

queenedithschool.org.uk...

They are part of a federation with another Primary school nearby, run by a single Headteacher and board of Governors.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Oh, I see... Thanks for the info!

I can't see schools where I live ever modifying their menu for anyone, Jews, Christians, Muslims, etc...

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FuZe7

I don't believe it is a legal requirement, but for schools that have "diverse" catchment area's, it is probably sensible they cater to their particular needs so as to not antagonise the various God botherers.

My own kids schools do not offer halal or kosher food, although there is always a vegetarian option out of the 3 choices they have every day, but then we do not live in a particularly "diverse" area.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I wonder if the school sends out its monthly menu as it should. If they do then I blame the parents for not providing their child with food on the days the school serves pork. (My students' parents do this.)
If the school doesn't send out a menu each month then I blame them.

But in no way would I ever blame the lunch lady. Lunch time is hectic, students are hungry and in a hurry, it's not her fault.

edit on 2-8-2013 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   

2 comments:

- I eat pork 4 times a week. I just don't get the non-pork eating religions. It is the tastiest animal flesh on the planet. Tonight I fried up some freshly sea salted pork belly that I had smoked earlier. Bacon, home made on apple wood. It was a very good day.

- The ladies fate should depend on her training/expertise, her job description, and school policy. Hopefully all three were aligned. If they were, it would be most effective for her to be hired as a dietary manager of some sort. She would work with a dietician to align the offerings with what is requied individually. And she would do so by keeping offerings within a specified cost margin. Thus, the server failures would only be her fault if she failed to do what was outlined by the dietician. If there is no dietician involved, she should not be liable professionally.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join