It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinner lady sacked for accidentally serving pork to a Muslim pupil.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
A Cambridge primary school dinner lady has been sacked for accidentally serving pork to a Muslim pupil.

Alison Waldock, 51, claims she served 7-year-old Khadija Darr the gammon after the youngster pointed to the dish on the lunch menu. It is understood the mistake was spotted by the school’s headteacher who swept the plate away from the youngster before she had chance to eat it, and the girl’s parents were then informed who complained to the school’s catering firm.
Dinner lady of 11 years Alison was suspended while chiefs investigated. She insisted it was a genuine mistake but she told a national newspaper how she was dismissed a month later, following an appeal, for gross misconduct due to “negligence, carelessness or idleness”.
British Muslim groups have branded the decision to sack her “heavy-handed” and an “overreaction”. While Alison today claimed she was being made a scapegoat - and is now too afraid to ever take another job as a dinner lady. The mum-of-two said: “I feel the school and catering company made me a scapegoat so they can’t be seen as politically incorrect. “I was really upset when I found out what I’d done. I’d never have done something like this on purpose. It was a simple mistake - I was so gutted with the school’s reaction.

She says that there were around 40 pupils with various dietary requirements at the school and it was impossible to keep track of them with the lists she was given.

40 pupils with various dietary requirements! I dont remember anything like that in the schools I attended, if you had a problem with what was being served then you had to bring a pack lunch or do without.

I feel quite sorry for this lady, sounds like a genuine mistake to me. I dont think sacking her was the right thing to do.

Even Inayat Buglawala the chair of Campaign Muslim4UK, said “Dismissing a dinner lady for inadvertently serving pig meat is an overreaction.

Here are the links -
link1
link
link2
edit on 31-7-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: to fix link

edit on 31-7-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
wow talk about heavy handed
i did not hear anyone getting jailed for serving up horse and donkey burgers from the slaughter houses .

just because i am white does not make me a christian how was this lady to know that the kid was a muslim

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by geobro

She was given a list of the various pupils dietary requirements, vegetarian etc, but she says its hard keeping track of them all as they do not wear name badges, I think the sacking was heavy handed, maybe they should just introduce a better system in the school canteen so the dinner ladies dont get mixed up, ah I dunno, just seems unfair to her.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by geobro

just because i am white does not make me a christian how was this lady to know that the kid was a muslim

I agree. This was very heavy handed. I easily could have made the same mistake. Especially since the kid pointed to it on the menu and requested that. If that were the case, I doubt I would have thought anything of it and just brought them what they asked for.

An honest mistake is an honest mistake...Tell her to double check that it's okay for the kid to eat a certain food item next time, sure...But...Fire her? Over kill.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Thank god the poor boy didn't eat the pork. Otherwise we would be reading about him getting stoned to death for being tainted. We should show no tolerance to those who have no tolerance.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I find this part very telling...

British Muslim groups have branded the decision to sack her “heavy-handed” and an “overreaction”. While Alison today claimed she was being made a scapegoat - and is now too afraid to ever take another job as a dinner lady.

Now why can't we have Muslims in the US come out to condemn conduct like this when it's pretty objectionable to everyone? This is the 3rd or 4th time this year I've heard something that really irked me in England with Muslims, waited to see the reaction from the Muslim community, just to be shocked in seeing they AGREE.

Oh how refreshing it must be to have folks there that will speak up and speak out. So.....with even the Muslims saying this was a crock and over-kill, why isn't she re-instated with back pay for harassment? I'd call this serious professional harassment, given the circumstances. It almost sounds like the Muslims there would too?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Bloody damned right heavy handed . I'm sick and bloody tired of hearing about pandering to the sodding religous no matter what flavour god they suck up to.

On a more positive note, this type of behaviour sends a very loud message to the xtians who are doing the chicken licken screaming at non believers how the Muslims are taking over and we should all get into church and grovel to their godman - THERE IS FAR TOO MUCH MONEY INVOLVED IN THE SAUSAGE AND BACON INDUSTRY FATTENING UP PORKY WHITEMAN FOR ALLAHS CLOWNS TO ENTICE US TO THE LIGHT. Indeed the future looks dark as the only way the muslims could come close to any form of grip on western society is by war and clearly one of our weapons of choice should be the bacon bomb.
edit on 31-7-2013 by ChristianJihad because: speeelin

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I find this part very telling...

British Muslim groups have branded the decision to sack her “heavy-handed” and an “overreaction”. While Alison today claimed she was being made a scapegoat - and is now too afraid to ever take another job as a dinner lady.

Now why can't we have Muslims in the US come out to condemn conduct like this when it's pretty objectionable to everyone? This is the 3rd or 4th time this year I've heard something that really irked me in England with Muslims, waited to see the reaction from the Muslim community, just to be shocked in seeing they AGREE.

Oh how refreshing it must be to have folks there that will speak up and speak out. So.....with even the Muslims saying this was a crock and over-kill, why isn't she re-instated with back pay for harassment? I'd call this serious professional harassment, given the circumstances. It almost sounds like the Muslims there would too?

Muslims in America do come out and condemn actions that are objectionable. We just never see it on the MSM because it's kind of hard to push a war on Islam when they are agreeing with everyone else.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
My brother married a girl from Kyrgyzstan back in 07, she was a total b**ch and turned out to be a closet muslim.
One day I was cooking some stew with pork meat in it and she said oh that smells pretty good. What is it?
I said stew.
With meat?
Uh, yea its beef.
She tried some and loved it, until I told her what it was. I laughed so hard and she hated me until the day they divorced

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Wait, wait, wait... hold the phone. The kid didn't even eat it, and she STILL got fired???

This makes absolutely no sense. It was an honest mistake. In some ways I wish the kid did eat it, just so I could go to sleep with the satisfaction that he got trolled by harmless meat and the poor woman didn't lose her job in vain.

If people choose to maintain silly beliefs that are thousands of years old, then they should be responsible about it and bring their own food to school and not make other people pander to their superstitions.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Parents who insist on having special diets for themselves and their children should send lunches to school with their children. It is not the responsibility of the schools to ensure children adhere to special diets. Parents need to stop delegating their responsibilities to others.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I agree in this instance that it is heavy handed. But let us not forget that had this been a peanut allergy, then this kid could have easily been dead.

They need to wear necklaces for special dietary needs, or some identifying piece. These ladies can't be expected to remember every face or name that they serve. But, there should be something to make them aware of the needs of the children.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I dont think we are hearing the full story here.
Nobody gets sacked for a mistake, in fact i dont even see it as a mistake, the kid pointed to the Pork, she served him the pork.
If you work in McD's and someone comes in and asks for a McBreakfast or whatever they are called, do you ask them what religion they are.? no you dont.

If indeed she was sacked for this "honest mistake" I hope she sues the Knackers off the School and the Catering firm..Probably the council.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

God love her, I actually believe her story and feel so sad that the school has acted in such a bigoted way,.
I can understand the need to respect and abide by multiple religious traditions in multi ethnic Britain but the only way to prevent this type of mistake is segregated eating and that is even less acceptable as the schooling may build bridges between the different ethnic groups and understanding of there religions breeding tolerance (something to my shame I have lost in these last years) and such segregated eating would fail the basic principle, nevertheless a segregated kitchen and separate serving counters may get over this along with the pupils having a dinner card to show the dinner lady's with there faith and other eating requirements on it such as health issues and allergy information that should be standard anyway in such mixed school's,.
I sincerely wish this lady well.

Just read through the other posts and near pissed myself laughing, here was me trying to be conciliatory and every one else speaking as they feel a star for all. Long live bacon indeed my friend.

edit on 31-7-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

There's a novel idea. Parents feeding their own children.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Even Muslim groups thought it a bit much...

British Muslim groups have branded the decision to sack her “heavy-handed” and an “overreaction”.

Pretty ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Maybe the parents could have done a better job of teaching the kid what he wasn't supposed to eat.
They don't know what they're missing.......LONG LIVE BACON

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBlackDog

The kid was seven, probably didn't realize it. Even still, is it really THAT big of a deal even if he ate it? I mean c'mon... The fact that someone spotted it at all, should speak volumes for the school's attention to detail, and the parents should be grateful for it.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Muslims in America do come out and condemn actions that are objectionable. We just never see it on the MSM because it's kind of hard to push a war on Islam when they are agreeing with everyone else.

That pretty much nails it.

That said though, it kind of is in their court to make SURE such stances get some airplay.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
This nonsense needs to be nipped in the bud. School is rough and we learn to get on with others at school who have " differences" I think this just an over reactive school, an over reactive parents. And its simply petty beyond words.

<<   2  3 >>

join