It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statistical Report on America's Divide: Self Reliance and Family Values

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Even though the real proportion of 2004 Presidential votes is much less stark that the geographically divided electoral map displaying the spread of "Bush Country" would have one believe, there are very real differences in red and blue states that will most likely be counterintuitive to anyone that's ever nodded along with a right wing pundit, politician or bumper sticker.

The Tax Foundation has released an interesting report on Feeder versus Funding states, and it's pretty much the opposite of everything you've been told.

Winners and losers

Currently taxpayers in North Dakota benefit most from the give-and-take with Uncle Sam, receiving $2.03 for every dollar in taxes. New Jersey benefits least, receiving just 62� per federal tax dollar.

Other states that receive little spending per dollar of federal tax are Connecticut (64�), New Hampshire (68�), Nevada (73�), Minnesota (77�) and Illinois (77�).

Assigned rank of Top and Bottom Ten...

States Receiving Most in Federal Spending Per Dollar of Federal Taxes Paid:

1. D.C. ($6.17)*
2. North Dakota ($2.03)
3. New Mexico ($1.89)
4. Mississippi ($1.84)
5. Alaska ($1.82)
6. West Virginia ($1.74)
7. Montana ($1.64)
8. Alabama ($1.61)
9. South Dakota ($1.59)
10. Arkansas ($1.53)

*DC, of course, isn't a state but a district with it's own unique problems, namely large numbers of out-of-state and federal employment skewing against the urban population of residents.

The rest of the states, of course, went red in 2004. Winners all around. They helped re-elect the highest spending President in history, and continue to enjoy the spoils the most.

States Receiving Least in Federal Spending Per Dollar of Federal Taxes Paid:

1. New Jersey ($0.62)
2. Connecticut ($0.64)
3. New Hampshire ($0.68)
4. Nevada ($0.73)*
5. Illinois ($0.77)
6. Minnesota ($0.77)
7. Colorado ($0.79)**
8. Massachusetts ($0.79)
9. California ($0.81)
10. New York ($0.81)

*Thank Providence for gambling right?

**Don't worry Colorado, you'll get your check next year. You earned it.

The rest of the states, of course, went blue in 2004. Losers all around. Not only do they get to keep funding the existence of "Bush Country" they get to enjoy it's new imperative in issues of Moral Authority.

But to label entire states (given the actual spread of urban versus rural voting) as being lazy, selfish, parasites on Liberal America isn't fair.

I'm sure some of rural America remains grateful for their handouts, if not now, surely at one time when great Democratic Initiatives first brought roads, electricity, subsidies, loans and jobs to them at great expense for the greater good.

So what's changed since then to literally make them bite the hand that feeds them? Family Values? And how.

Sadly, they've taken a turn for the worst in rural America, and mostly among born again Christians it would seem.

PRESIDENT Bush and Vice President Cheney make reference to "Massachusetts liberals" as if they were referring to people with some kind of disease. I decided it was time to do some research on these people, and here is what I found.

The state with the lowest divorce rate in the nation is Massachusetts. At latest count it had a divorce rate of 2.4 per 1,000 population, while the rate for Texas was 4.1.

But don't take the US government's word for it. Take a look at the findings from the George Barna Research Group. George Barna, a born-again Christian whose company is in Ventura, Calif., found that Massachusetts does indeed have the lowest divorce rate among all 50 states. More disturbing was the finding that born-again Christians have among the highest divorce rates.

The Associated Press, using data supplied by the US Census Bureau, found that the highest divorce rates are to be found in the Bible Belt. The AP report stated that "the divorce rates in these conservative states are roughly 50 percent above the national average of 4.2 per thousand people." The 10 Southern states with some of the highest divorce rates were Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Texas. By comparison nine states in the Northeast were among those with the lowest divorce rates: Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

It appears then the new Moral Authority and tenuous "majority" is the most hypocritical, anti-family, anti-self reliant (not to mention ungrateful) clap trap group of bumper sticker believing "value voters" ever wedged together in an American election. Some call that sort of thing Providence. Not this guy. But he's a little angry right now. Maybe he should be.

It seems some northeastern liberals, which happen to be among the most educated people in America, are considering leaving and taking their higher average earnings and tax burdens with them. Some bait purveyors to the south say good riddance. Still others among the enfranchised have a bolder idea: Expell the Blue States

Yet, there are 38 states today that may be inclined to adopt, let us call it, a "Declaration of Expulsion," that is, a specific constitutional amendment to kick out the systemically troublesome states and those trending rapidly toward anti-American, if not outright subversive, behavior. The 12 states that must go: California, Illinois, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Maryland, and Delaware. Only the remaining 38 states would retain the name, "United States of America." The 12 expelled mobs could call themselves the "Dirty Dozen," or individually keep their identity and go their separate ways, probably straight to Hell.

Wow. Blue states are "systemically troublesome" and "trending rapidly toward anti-American, if not outright subversive, behavior" so let's kick them out of America.

No, wait. Stop laughing. Hear the new Moral Authority out.

BUSH USA is predominantly white; devoutly Christian (mostly Protestant); openly, vigorously heterosexual; an open land of single-family homes and ranches; economically sound (except for a few farms), but not drunk with cyberworld business development, and mainly English-speaking, with a predilection for respectfully uttering "yes, ma'am" and "yes, sir."

GORE/KERRY USA is ethnically diverse; multi-religious, irreligious or nastily antireligious; more sexually liberated (if not in actual practice, certainly in attitude); awash with condo canyons and other high-end real estate bordered by sprawling, squalid public housing or neglected private homes, decidedly short of middle-class neighborhoods; both high tech and oddly primitive in its commerce; very artsy, and Babelesque, with abnormally loud speakers.

And there it is. Forget the "Bush Country" bumper stickers about "Self Reliance" or "Family Values" as none of that stands the fact check.

The difference and "anger of the enfranchised" boils down to (listed in order of importance):

1. Being White
2. Christian (Protestant please)
3. Vigorously Heterosexual ("vigorous" denotes girl on girl action being okay)
4. Mostly English speaking (except when addressing hispanic value voters)
and 5. Polite (proposal to kick out 49% of America notwithstanding)

Ignore the economic arguments of self reliance because they're bunk. As are "family or moral values" once boiled down to their inherent components of intolerance (even in their own words). Bumper sticker politics are for people that look to bumper stickers for politics. That's pretty self explanatory.

Now imagine a world where bumper stickers get their way. Mainly because they just did. It's going to be an interesting 4 years.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Hmm, not really sure what the end-game is with your post, but I�ll give you some thoughts never-the-less.

While I'll agree that the Red states (mind you, speaking about states as wholes is problematic from the start) are not the same as the Blue, I will say that you real problem does not lie with the people voting.

Rather you should be angry at the GOP for developing, maintaining, and pushing the pre-packaged garbage policy that it currently dumps on our airwaves and in their speeches.

But with the growing mutation (and relevant mutilation) of the GOP, the Democrats have certainly not been sleeping.

The Democratic Party has grown to become the antithesis of the GOP. Almost as ridiculous to look at as the GOP, but all the anger and propaganda one could want in a tasty little banner-phrase race such as this one we just had.

So, where does the real problem lie? I have said many times that the problem lies in the US Federal Government, which is true to a point.

The source of it is with the two political parties (as we could not have reached this point without a relatively balanced brain bashing of the US Constitution in both directions). They are not the solution to the problems raging within the US today.

I predict that should we continue to drink from only two poisoned wells, with no respite, we will die as a country, and people won't even see it coming.

Hell, I have to fight people into thinking that there is even a fatal flaw within the US today.

THAT is a sad sad thing.

Although I do have one question. How is it, that a marginal candidate can get so close to obtaining the office of the President? The marketing was brilliant, but it was nothing more than that.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Hmm, not really sure what the end-game is with your post, but I�ll give you some thoughts never-the-less.

Nothing more than exactly what you pointed out.

Rather you should be angry at the GOP for developing, maintaining, and pushing the pre-packaged garbage policy that it currently dumps on our airwaves and in their speeches.

And that the very Red versus Blue state (of mind) is garbage, both in it's inception from the GOP think tanks to it's current backlash (from both sides) in the aftermath.

And this is quite, quite true!

But with the growing mutation (and relevant mutilation) of the GOP, the Democrats have certainly not been sleeping.

The Democratic Party has grown to become the antithesis of the GOP. Almost as ridiculous to look at as the GOP, but all the anger and propaganda one could want in a tasty little banner-phrase race such as this one we just had.

It's a vicious cycle isn't it? A two party system with each defined in response to the flaws of the other.

So, where does the real problem lie? I have said many times that the problem lies in the US Federal Government, which is true to a point.

Sorry to cut you off for brevity, but one of the reforms being pushed in the Democratic Party (aside from the Hee Haw'ing of bible quoting candidates) is taking the completely vacant Reform position of an anti-Washington, anti-authoritarian, truly small government libertarian charge. No offense to LP. If Dean gets the DNC chair (not the nom), it could be interesting.

Although I do have one question. How is it, that a marginal candidate can get so close to obtaining the office of the President? The marketing was brilliant, but it was nothing more than that.

Which one? Bush or Kerry?

I actually think Kerry's marketing was horrible. He called a middle class tax cut "Universal Healthcare" expecting the left to not read between the lines and the right to actually read past bumper stickers.

Also experienced candiates will forever now be known as "marginal" or at least vulnerable for a while. We're on a path of the least experienced candidates standing the best chance of winning from now on. Governors...Generals, Mayors even? Who knows.

The point is outsiders. Reform will be the post-Bush theme. Even for the RNC I imagine. It'll have to be. Trump cards got played out this time.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Thomas Franks: What's the Matter with Kansas?

Examining why the heartland hates itself.
Okay, not exactly that but why it votes against itself supporting instead an empty moral coup of the real elite over the phantom elite. You know the phantom elite right? The liberals that "run" everything.

It's postulating how long it's been going on and how long it can continue without progress. As I've stated before, it hit feverous pitch with Gingrich but the silent majority thing was all Nixon.

None of them ever do anything though but the opposite of promises. Reagan didn't end Affirmative Reaction (he promoted it). Condolezza Rice ring any bells? Is abortion banned yet? Being gay?

Man, I'm sorry but what saps. Yes, this means you (rhetorical). The 20th century is being repealed before our very eyes, and people getting poorer and poorer by the generation are applauding. Republicanism is all bread and circuses now...only without the bread.

I sincerely believe history will record this as a dark evil time. This reverse French Revolution where the peasants take to the streets to demand more power for the aristocracy. It will seriously take generations to fix, assuming we get to fix it ourselves. We may not be a SuperPower anymore when all is said and done. If the Libertarians have anything to say about it.

Not my problem though. I knew there was a reason I didn't breed.

top topics

join