It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA to Genetically Engineer Humans by Adding a 47th Chromosome

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by starheart
reply to post by s4196606

But doesn't people with 47 chromosomes already exists? I can't remember where, but I read that trisomic people had 1 chromosome too much (thus 47 instead of 46). Is it true?

And if yes, a 47th chromosome didn't exactly made them better than the average human (no offense meant), and certainly didn't made them 10x better physically or mentally.
edit on 31-7-2013 by starheart because: (no reason given)

Yes, this is true and it is know as aneuploidy. The most common occur in the sex chromosome set. One can have XXX (Turner aneuploidy), XXY (Kleinfelter aneuploidy), XYY aneuploidy and Trisomi 21(Down's syndrome). The XYY version has been shown to produce more aggressive, bigger males with more tendencies to become criminals. I read about that some years ago, so I will have to find the article.
So this already occurs in nature. By adding an artificial chromosome, who knows what this may cause. If it is used as a vector such as bacterial plasmids, then we can perhaps insert useful genes and knock out the bad ones.
This could be good or bad. But since the government is involved, I have a bad feeling about this.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kratos40

Originally posted by starheart
reply to post by s4196606

But doesn't people with 47 chromosomes already exists? I can't remember where, but I read that trisomic people had 1 chromosome too much (thus 47 instead of 46). Is it true?

And if yes, a 47th chromosome didn't exactly made them better than the average human (no offense meant), and certainly didn't made them 10x better physically or mentally.
edit on 31-7-2013 by starheart because: (no reason given)

Yes, this is true and it is know as aneuploidy. The most common occur in the sex chromosome set. One can have XXX (Turner aneuploidy), XXY (Kleinfelter aneuploidy), XYY aneuploidy and Trisomi 21(Down's syndrome). The XYY version has been shown to produce more aggressive, bigger males with more tendencies to become criminals. I read about that some years ago, so I will have to find the article.
So this already occurs in nature. By adding an artificial chromosome, who knows what this may cause. If it is used as a vector such as bacterial plasmids, then we can perhaps insert useful genes and knock out the bad ones.
This could be good or bad. But since the government is involved, I have a bad feeling about this.

yeah. that's my point. but you stated it so much better than I ever could have.... Thanks..
uhhh. lost count of what line i should quote according to rules about one line posts.

link   
The human genetics has been used many times before. It is not a new phenomenon. The desire to create a powerful human body is an age-old one.

The human reproduction has always been used to maximise gene spread of successful/desirable people.

The practice of polygamy (priests/kings having multiple wives) is present in all cultures and is nothing but genetic engineering.

Only thing new is cutoff of human relationships. The human society has been structured around relationships, that foster a sense of belonging and purpose to the child. A synthetically created child has no relationships, and will thus inherently be an animal.

I am against lab produced children as we need to preserve the moral fabric of our society. Kids should learn from parents and grand-parents, uncles and aunts, neighbors and teachers. This is how it should be.

link   
As has been pointed out and bears repeating, this is not about genetically engineering humans.
It is about modifying animal and human cell lines. Something which has been done for quite a while. This research would improve on the methods of doing so.

Human cell lines are not humans.

www.dsmz.de...
www.appliedstemcell.com...

edit on 7/31/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by neo96

But yeah messing in the realm of GOD man should stop playing one.

Somebody's gotta step up. I don't see any divine entities coming up to have a swing at the world's problems. And I wouldn't have a problem with the human species customizing and enhancing themselves to have a try if I wasn't so worried about mankind being mature enough to handle such developments.
edit on 31-7-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

I am frankly amazed....that you don't see anyone "stepping up."

Lots of people step up every day with info that costs them in their private lives, whether they air that here or not....so sad.......

There ARE people stepping up. You are reading their fight for that everday, casually, in your drawers, doing whatever while you link up, and while those "stepping up" are paying a very high price.....

No offense, but don't be so quick to judge that whatever is gifted here is without price for those taking the risks and paying the price.
Respectfully,
Tetra50

ETA: I think so much is a joke these days, no one recognizes when it's serious, or when someone is truly applying themselves to whatever they can do in their little way. It is sad, really, and another obvious symptom and epidemiology of where "they" would wish us to judge each other as useless, in order to divide and concquer, the oldest mechanism present in all of this.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

As has been pointed out and bears repeating

No bears here, Phage. And though I respect your intellect quite a lot, there's evidence being given here which contradicts your particular "nothing to see here" view, as usual.
Respectfully,
Tetra50

ETA: I have just supplied info about another research project......must it be spelled out for you? NVMD: already know the answer.

Oh yeah, what I meant by
"bears" was, I don't think that is quite the spelling, via a homonym, that you are looking for in your post. However, this appears to be all about "fishing," and I bit the bait, so......
edit on 31-7-2013 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nyiah
Life imitating fiction, or fiction imitating life?

Indeed, when we look at the thrust of the research, it is about fiction
imitating lfie.

This is chock full of it:
ai.stanford.edu...

That says I can not reproduce it, or copy it or ...
but it does not prohibit links to it.

Well worth a read for anyone interested, and to those who are saying
this is only work on cell lines, your welcome to your pit of sand.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

You mean the article about trying to make computer circuitry based on neurological design?
I saw it. What does it have to do with genetic engineering?

www.eecis.udel.edu...

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Well worth a read for anyone interested, and to those who are saying
this is only work on cell lines, your welcome to your pit of sand.

Yes. It is work on cell lines.
And the paper you linked is seems to be about artificial intelligence, you know, computers. If you can't post quotes, maybe some page numbers would be helpful in showing us how it is relevant.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by tetra50

You mean the article about trying to make computer circuitry based on neurological design?
I saw it. What does it have to do with genetic engineering?

www.eecis.udel.edu...

adding another chromosone isn't genetic engineering? And the research project I posted is clearly a biological/mechanical interface.......

that's what it has to do with it. Now, when you reply, (sorry to be so cynical), I guess we will have to revert to LANUAGE PROCESSING, and then I will have to give you definitions to support what is OBVIOUS with an attenuated mind.....

Or I can just quit trying altogether....
hmmm......seems like it's easier to just quit trying.
I respect your mind. You have a GREAT mind. but I'm real tired of trying to explain what is certainly obvious......did you read my metaphor on the other thread about non computer savvy people looking at the Apache Command page and realizing they've been remotely censored? Need I say more? You're a smart guy; if you need me to say more, I'll have to say you're just baiting and being obviously duplicitous.....
Tetra50

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

adding another chromosone isn't genetic engineering?
Yes it is. And it is done with cell lines. Cell lines are not humans. Cell lines are cultures of cells, human and otherwise.

And the research project I posted is clearly a biological/mechanical interface.......
No it isn't. Try reading it carefully and avoiding your bias. Try understand what it is actually talking about, mimicking biological systems with electronic systems. There is research into biological/electronic interfacing but that ain't it. Such work shows a lot of promise for helping amputees and victims of paralysis as a matter of fact.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by NearLifeExperience

I wonder too, the more one investigates the more one wonders.

Thanks for your comments, very timely in the thread.

Along those lines.....

So, the Egyptians wore scarfs, did they?

Hmmm strange....

What are those coming from the back of the neck?

edit on 31-7-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I chose THIS PLACE for the following:

Make no mistake: Everything I and others have tried, "recursively" to illuminate is REAL. Techs like this are being revealed twenty years or many more behind the reality......and it IS a reality.

Many have tried to speak, and many paid the price for that and are no longer here, or worry constantly about others they loved and cared about who are removed from them, and they are not sure where they are.

I am "going out on a limb" here, but I will not regret it.

It has been my lfie's experience, and I have had the GUTS to share it, for the good of others, I HOPE.

I will not continue to argue where this trashing of humanity in the goal of accepting augmentation will take us: READ. There are many science ficiton texts out there that predicted where we are, and where we are going. Many, like Druscilla, will present you logic and attraction, an incomparable combination. she will have an avatar that is undeniably attractive, and the give and take will be what she shows you as she argues in a most logical fashion....I am not dissing Druscilla; I, in fact, respect that. However, I ask you to see beyond this and the Geisha costume, for the good of your daughters and what we face, these days, too lengthy and convoluted to go into now. And even the response to her change in avatar: she covered up her "jugs."

This is where we are. Is this where you wanna be? Would you raise a child in the midst of such, purposefully, and if not, what is that saying about you, and are you considering that? This is the world we are living in...face it, know it, do your research and prepare, so that we might survive. For that is my wish, that we survive, being enslaved, controlled, living through the farming of us, for our intellect, experience, narratives, and genetics. For this is what should be obvious now.

Who is responsible: you will be given a fall guy, a patsy, as in history, this is always the case. Judgement is easy...dissemination and logical thought is hard.....but worth it.... Think for yourself. Always. Research. And think for yourself. And assume no one is ever on your side. sorry to be so cynical and alarming, but this is where we are, and this is the true reality......
Take care everyone. Have enjoyed it.
Must end my addiction, and thinking that I can be of any use of revelation, whatsoever. We are way past that point, now.
Be safe. Prepare.
Tetra50
edit on 31-7-2013 by tetra50 because: logic

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Originally posted by Nyiah

It reminds me of Star Trek's Eugenics Wars.

Records from this period are fragmented, but what is known is that the wars' roots lie in a group of Human scientists' ambitious attempt to improve the race through selective breeding and genetic engineering. They created a race of "supermen," popularly known as the Augments, who were mentally and physically superior to ordinary men and women. They were five times stronger than the average person, their lung efficiency was 50 percent better than normal, and their intelligence was double that of normal Humans. They also had enhanced senses, including an ability to hear beyond that of Human capabilities.

Yes, like that...and for safety measures they have engineered a kill switch,
just in case.

DARPA hopes to dispense with evolutionary randomness and assemble biological creatures, genetically programmed to live indefinitely and presumably do whatever their human masters want. And, Wired's Danger Room reports, when there's the inevitable problem of said creatures going haywire or realizing that they're intelligent and have feelings, there's a planned self-destruct genetic code that could be triggered.

Unsurprisingly, molecular biologists have weighed in with huge caveats and raised fingers of objection. First, they say that DARPA has the wrong idea about hoping to overcome evolution's supposed randomness, and that evolution really represents a super-efficient design algorithm.
www.popsci.com...

Again, if this was just over cell lines, why would molecular biologists have huge concerns???

edit on 31-7-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   

So, the Egyptians wore scarfs, did they?
Maybe.

What are those coming from the back of the neck?
What do you think they are?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Again, if this was just over cell lines, why would molecular biologists have huge concerns???

That is not the same project and it also has nothing to do with humans.

edit on 8/1/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by tetra50

adding another chromosone isn't genetic engineering?
Yes it is. And it is done with cell lines. Cell lines are not humans. Cell lines are cultures of cells, human and otherwise.

And the research project I posted is clearly a biological/mechanical interface.......
No it isn't. Try reading it carefully and avoiding your bias. Try understand what it is actually talking about, mimicking biological systems with electronic systems. There is research into biological/electronic interfacing but that ain't it. Such work shows a lot of promise for helping amputees and victims of paralysis as a matter of fact.

We are saying the same here. No bias. It is a biological interface with a researched, and copied from that interface synthetically: this is an AI interface with biological subjects, and with many other applications, besides.
You can't have it both ways, Phage. In other words, you are saying it shows promise in that light for amputees and victims of paralysis.....I agree with you wholeheartedly. You have no idea how much. I have a close relative who is a quadraplegic. So let's not go there, ok?

But the fact remains, you have admitted what I am outlining here.....and it is about ethics, really, what we will do with such knowledge and research, having skipped over your arguments while you are asserting the same and trying to make me look like I don't know what I'm talking about. Because this, essentailly, is WHY, NO ONE ever gets anywhere on this website......move along now....
I' m not scared of your intellect. Hell, I've more than once acknowledged and complemented it. And then you repeat what I just said, and then deny my extrapolations.

Sh@3t: it's wearisome, already.

Yes, anything can be used for good or for evil. I think everyone here, now, knows that, surely. The point is, it is OUR responsibility to SEE that it is used for the BEST purposes and not what it's been used, recursively, forever already for......

And I. and many others, are victims of that. And THAT should not continue, no matter what.
Respectfully,
Tetra50

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by tetra50
There are many science ficiton texts out there that predicted where we are, and where we are going.

Yes, they had future vision, and here we are and the future is far exceeding what they
invisioned in many ways.

This is where we are. Is this where you wanna be? Would you raise a child in the midst of such, purposefully, and if not, what is that saying about you, and are you considering that? This is the world we are living in...face it, know it, do your research and prepare, so that we might survive. For that is my wish, that we survive, being enslaved, controlled, living through the farming of us, for our intellect, experience, narratives, and genetics. For this is what should be obvious now.

It is becoming more clear, there will always be those who deny the reality,
they fall into a trap, or they set one for others. Thanks for your comments.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

and thank you, likewise. It is a tangled web we travel.......
May we all come out whole on the other side. peace.
Tetra

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

You can't have it both ways, Phage.

I'm not asking to have it both ways. There are bio/electro interfacing projects but the article you posted is not about one of them. It is about mimicking neurological systems in electronic systems.

I agree that ethics are part of all aspects of research. Or more correctly, application of research. That is nothing new. Components of the computers we are using can be used to steer missiles. So what do we do? Just stop? Doesn't seem that we as humans are very good at that...ever since we figured out how fire works we've been playing with it and its kin. That's what got us out of "the caves".

Muddying the water with sensationalistic arm waving doesn't and never did help.

edit on 8/1/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join