It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA to Genetically Engineer Humans by Adding a 47th Chromosome

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I am currently completing my masters in biological engineering- I've never heard of using synthetic chromosomes as a vector for genetic engineering, so I looked into it more, and it does make a lot of sense. Once its integrated, it should theoretically behave like regular chromosomes, dividing normally, etc. This would have tremendous consequences for the practicality of gene therapy, which is currently limited mostly to viral vector based transfection, which generally results in only a transient expression of the gene of interest. With a stably expressed gene therapy gene of interest, you could essentially cure any kind of genetic disorder just by reinserting functional DNA into all cells of the body.

As with any technology, there is always the potential for misuse, and this is particularly true for biological engineering. However, its not an inherently evil field, and this technology could be utilised to save many lives. Genetic disorders are incredibly common (diabetes being an example of a genetic autoimmune disease), so this could potentially impact a large proportion of the population. Interesting technology.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
And soon we will have a war between normal humans and advanced ones, bring on the eugenics wars!

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by s4196606

But doesn't people with 47 chromosomes already exists? I can't remember where, but I read that trisomic people had 1 chromosome too much (thus 47 instead of 46). Is it true?

And if yes, a 47th chromosome didn't exactly made them better than the average human (no offense meant), and certainly didn't made them 10x better physically or mentally.
edit on 31-7-2013 by starheart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

I think it is pretty obvious that "natural" ceases to exist when human direction is forced on previous "natural" processes, even if we could agree that human are part of nature (there are good arguments to say we are no longer so) it is generally accepted that we are the (a) cause of artificiality and humanization, something that does not "natural" occur.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Panic2k11
reply to post by MDDoxs

I think it is pretty obvious that "natural" ceases to exist when human direction is forced on previous "natural" processes, even if we could agree that human are part of nature (there are good arguments to say we are no longer so) it is generally accepted that we are the (a) cause of artificiality and humanization, something that does not "natural" occur.

True.

But take into consideration that the human itself is not the result of a 'natural' process. We too, were genetically engineered.

The human is very different when it comes to other animals on this planet:

We talk
We must take shelter from all of the elements
We catch 'germs' (foreign bodies)
We do not come equipped with covering to protect us from the elements such as fur- need clothes
We must heat our food to reach temp to kill off bacteria- every other animal eats other animals and will not get sick from it

This all points back to my previous posts regarding the Ancient Alien Theory and the similar project of DARPA to engineer humans.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Clearly you haven't been to many Mensa meetings. Neither have I, jus' sayin'

I hear you on the jus sayin part.

There's a huge difference between a club where the members show up because they have high IQ's as a sort of egoic mental masterbatory, we're-all-better-than0them club.

Vs. a philosophy club where the members are asking why are we here, what's the meaning of life, does God exist, how can we access him if he does, how can we make the world a better place, how can we unite, etc.... Big dif.

Seriously, though, I haven't found that to be a truism in, academia, say. Your group of associates--as evidenced by the topics--are a subset of humans that exist across all strata.

YEs, agreed. There is big time egoic douchebaggery in Academia. Having a thirst/hunger for Philosophy brings in all types of fringe personalities....not all with big heads.

While intellect can facilitate wisdom, intellect in itself is not a criteria for wisdom. Wisdom being, imo, the highest form of intellect. Spiritual intellect if you will.

I can give several examples, in my life and many who I know, where intellect was what finally established this world and its illusions to be empty in nature, which the led down the next logic path, finding one's own soul.

A well developed intellect, might/could actually be able to come to the conclusion much faster. Although in many cases, requires a few trips around the old block to realize the empty nature of phenomenon. Good talk, thumbs up

Originally posted by ButterCookie
reply to post by dominicus

Well, according to our ancient history, it already is in a book.

The bible.

Gen-1:26 "Let US make mankind in OUR image, according to OUR likeness"

The 'gods', aka extraterrestrial scientist (won't get into the Ancient Alien Theory unless you want me to
) fashioned a worker/slave. That was us, the human. They did so by genetically engineering the DNA of the primate with their own and, Voila, Human 2.0

Yeah, I tend to lead towards that direction. Chimps = 1.0. Modern Humans = 2.0 Gene-Mod-Humans = 3.0
We'll see how it all works out the won't we? Front row seats for the next few decades

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyInTheOintment

Yes, and whether the agenda is on time, ahead of schedule or lags, one thing is certain
there is an agenda. I would add to your list The Brain Project, and AI.

No doubt we have all had encounters with AI, whether we were aware,
I would bet most of us were.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Isn't Trisomy is a condition in which one has 47 chromosomes? What is DARPA's goal, to make a new race of trisomic people?

Trisomy is hardly a, how do they call it? Oh yes, an

“improvements” into our DNA.

Am I missing something?

edit on 31-7-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by starheart

But doesn't people with 47 chromosomes already exists? I can't remember where, but I read that trisomic people had 1 chromosome too much (thus 47 instead of 46). Is it true?

And if yes, a 47th chromosome didn't exactly made them better than the average human (no offense meant), and certainly didn't made them 10x better physically or mentally.

Yes, this is the 47,XYY "syndrome". The characterization is not always agreed upon,
some dispute that it is a syndrome.

47,XYY syndrome is characterized by an extra copy of the Y chromosome in each of a male's cells. Although males with this condition may be taller than average ......an extra copy of the Y chromosome in each of a male's cells. As a result of the extra Y chromosome, each cell has a total of 47 chromosomes instead of the usual 46.

ghr.nlm.nih.gov...
edit on 31-7-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

"We Want Your Soul"

Prophetic?
Inside knowledge?

Certainly prophetic, that is one aspect of this posthuman progression that hardly
has been adressed, The Soul.

Will clones have a soul?
What about those who become transhuman, do they lose their soul?

Hannah trailer

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
Yes, this is the 47,XYY "syndrome".

Oh, I see someone already asked that question before me. Just wanted to say to you thanks for the info.

I just don't get it. Since when did Trisomy become an "improvement" on our race?

(No offence meant to the trisomic community)

Will clones have a soul?

Technically, if all humans have a soul, then yes, clones will have a soul. The physical body is just a vehicle. You can drive a Honda Civic, and your neighbour can drive a Honda Civic. That doesn't mean your neighbour is you.

edit on 31-7-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
Combat clones from DUMBs would be the only force that could subdue the American populace without WMDs. I think that is where the kids who disappear end up for experimentation,the ones that aren't sacrificed that is.

THIS^ Satan is alive, and he's got foot soldiers out and about executing his bidding. My mother and grandma always talk of the amount of people disappearing each year. The official number on average is about a million people annually. I would say 1 percent of that would be attributed to criminals kidnapping people. The rest is highly organized pedophilia and satanic ritual sacrifice and experiments run by the governments.

Look up the Dutroux affair.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I would agree, the technology is not inherently evil in itself.
Now then what is done with it can cross into that realm, imo.

This would have tremendous consequences for the practicality of gene therapy, which is currently limited mostly to viral vector based transfection, which generally results in only a transient expression of the gene of interest. With a stably expressed gene therapy gene of interest, you could essentially cure any kind of genetic disorder just by reinserting functional DNA into all cells of the body.

Looking at the costs of only recently available gene therapy, they have made some
headway into offering solutions for some disorders...though seems its not practically affordable.
The figures I have seen over the last year range from 100,000 to 1.2 million.

www.foxnews.com...

I have no idea the cost implications of synthetic chromosome's.
Also, I wonder how long it would be, perhaps a very long time before this
was passed into the public availability?

Thanks for you comments, and best wishes with your paper!

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

take into consideration that the human itself is not the result of a 'natural' process. We too, were genetically engineered.

I can consider but I not convinced that it is so, even if I agree that there are some mysteries and oddities the list you provide is very, well, naive, at least...

We talk

Many other animals talk, even insects, we just have what we believe is the most advanced language (that is open to discussion), for instance Dolphins seem to have a much more greater capacity for communication than we have (content and distance).

We must take shelter from all of the elements

Most animals also do, we just can understand the world better than most of them (in some regards) and make better choices (most of the time).

We catch 'germs' (foreign bodies)

Hum ? You think this is unique to us ?!

We do not come equipped with covering to protect us from the elements such as fur- need clothes

Again we do not need to and aren't even unique look at frogs. I chose the amphibians since we seem to have evolved from an "aquatic" adapted ape (best theory in my book). Most of the time we chose to weak clothes at times it is functional or permits us to exist in areas that we normally would avoid (like other species).

We must heat our food to reach temp to kill off bacteria- every other animal eats other animals and will not get sick from it

No we don't, this is a technological evolution. Fire and its use was the first game changer to humans. Cooking food had several advantages and did in fact permit us to extend the range of food we could consume. For example in India there are food specific societies, from strict vegetarians to fish eaters and even a group that sustains itself most of the time from field rats. For example the capacity to drink cow milk evolved in a geographic specific region...

the Ancient Alien Theory

While I like the idea, and could even envision something occurring in our past (in regards to aliens), people should get a proper education before subscribing to ideas that they can't fully comprehend.

Most of the people pushing the "Ancient Alien Theory" are simply after making a "few" bucks. You should see the video Ancient Aliens Debunked and the related documentation...

edit on 31-7-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by starheart

Yes, this is the 47,XYY "syndrome". The characterization is not always agreed upon,
some dispute that it is a syndrome.

47,XYY syndrome is characterized by an extra copy of the Y chromosome in each of a male's cells. Although males with this condition may be taller than average ......an extra copy of the Y chromosome in each of a male's cells. As a result of the extra Y chromosome, each cell has a total of 47 chromosomes instead of the usual 46.

ghr.nlm.nih.gov...

Dont forget XXYY, XXXYY, XXYYY, XYYYY, XXXX, XXXXX (and others). And for the most part such people act like extremely autistic children from what ive seen with quite reduced mental capability (there was a documentary I once saw about such people from my own country in the late 90's)... hardly the next step in human evolution.

Granted thats not a brand new chromosome but double ups of ones already present. But it shows what can go wrong when you have other stuff in there that doesnt stuff it all up enough to result in a nonviable embryo. Heck down-syndrome is basically 46.5 chromosomes, they have one and a half on chromosome 21 (ie one that isnt so important that it results in life terminating deformities for the embryo but still important enough that it creates issues). I can see how this artificial one would be good if used properly, but if we where supposed to have a viable unlinked new chromosome it'd happen naturally and if it wasnt dangerous or a disadvantage it would get spread around the population quick enough over the generations.

I just dont trust man made stuff in this regard, it always turns out to be inferior to the slow bake of nature, not to mention far to easy to corrupt or be used for 'other' reasons.

edit:- whoops 46 chromosomes in a normal human.
edit on 31-7-2013 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Human artificial chromosones are neither new nor particularly controversial.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by swanne

Thanks, was trying to work through the posts.

Originally posted by swanne
I just don't get it. Since when did Trisomy become an "improvement" on our race?

Just an assumption here as I have not had time to look to far into
how they plan to do this using the (synthetic) 47th chromosome as
a vector....they must have found a way, or hope to find a way to
use the extra as the vector and it does not negatively affect
the subject as say...47,XYY, or 47,XXY, 47,21+ (Downs) etc.
Many Trisomy disorders are fatal, only a few are not.

It will sure be interesting to learn more, that is if they every publish
the research. Since this is DARPA, it maybe kept in the 'black world'
for quite some time.

Technically, if all humans have a soul, then yes, clones will have a soul. The physical body
is just a vehicle.

Now on the soul, I see it as far more complicated; I dont know that man can create a soul.
Sure, they can clone a body, but the soul is seperate...integrated yes, but transferrable?

Wow, its a heavy subject, I dont know that there is much research on The Soul,
(scientifically speaking) as for me I consult my Bible.

I guess we had better get busy finding out more.
edit on 31-7-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ
Dont forget XXYY, XXXYY, XXYYY, XYYYY, XXXX, XXXXX (and others)

Yes, thanks for that too. I was being short, as thats a long subject in and of itself.

Many of the chromosome (autosome) disorders and fatal, and definitely not
a desireable condition.

I just dont trust man made stuff in this regard, it always turns out to be inferior to the slow bake of nature, not to mention far to easy to corrupt or be used for 'other' reasons.

Agree wholeheartedly. Especially where DARPA is concerned.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
Human artificial chromosones are neither new nor particularly controversial.

Certainly not for someone with a lack of understanding as regards power, human nature, and history. Don't you have some chemtrail threads to scatter your chicken litter on? Shoo!

Don't take me too seriously, dancing chicken, you're my favorite disinfo guy. Seriously, you've kind of grown on me. Not your viewpoints. Just you and your tenacity...ineffectual as it might be.

edit on 31-7-2013 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Now on the soul, I see it as far more complicated; I dont know that man can create a soul.
Sure, they can clone a body, but the soul is seperate...integrated yes, but transferrable?

Wow, its heavey subject, I dont know that there is much research on The Soul,
I guess we had better get busy finding out more.

I for one, doubt the soul has "mass" in the traditional sense, but at least someone has tried to do experimentation: Dr. Duncan "Om" MacDougall

In 1901, MacDougall weighed six patients while they were in the process of dying from tuberculosis in an old age home. It was relatively easy to determine when death was only a few hours away, and at this point the entire bed was placed on an industrial sized scale which was apparently sensitive to the gram.

He took his results (a varying amount of perceived mass loss in most of the six cases) to support his hypothesis that the soul had mass, and when the soul departed the body, so did this mass. The determination of the soul weighing 21 grams was based on the average loss of mass in the six patients within moments after death.
en.wikipedia.org...(doctor)

Of course it's controversial for many valid reasons, but fascinating, and rather bold, nonetheless.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join