It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Age...Like really.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Specimen

The problem is that you are getting hung up on the words "new age" and assuming it has to be "new". Nearly every singe aspect of new age thought is adopted from something ancient. They are the true spiritual eclectics and piece together their own religious beliefs however they like. Don't like something, throw it out, like something else, keep it in. Saying "new age" is as vague as saying "pagan" or "gentile".

A new age person, pagan, or gentile can be identified but they don't all have to even be similar to one another. This is why you are getting frustrated. You are basing your opinion of an entire category of beliefs on thoughts of one or two particular groups. Look at the blanket term "Abrahamic Faiths". To me, they are the same but I still understand the critical differences between Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Yeah all forums have members with those complexes. They drink up the msm without any critical thought. And regurgitate the same old world crap. Then when someone comes along and threatens their ways of thinking. The only way to beat them is with numbers. Proof that the guy getting ganged on is probably right.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Im reading along here, and I...as a somewhat "NEW AGER" tend to agree with the OP. To a degree. There are all kinds of subjects within New Age. A lot of NA's do not even embrace all of it, some of it, or believe in it. There isnt even an "IT" with New Age. It is a way of thinking...and acting. And thats like everyone everywhere.

Embracing some of it deemed valuable and of benefit...even if only to the practioner of it...certainly is ok. It's when it gets fanatical, than it defeats the purpose. Again, I believe in a lot of the New Age studies, methods and influences...but I use it to my advantage...not to completely change who I am, or what I believe in.

It made me a bit more tolerant of different religions, philosophies and ways of thinking not shared by others in my life. I think thats what it should do. Options to our standard belief systems. Im sure not going out to charge any crystals for power nor start sleeping under a pyramid, even if those things may work.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

jedi and samurai are two different things completely, do your research before you spout such nonsense. And im not referring to the fact that one is from a science fiction story and one is a piece of humanity's history.

I am referring to the philosophy behind the two ideas.

But if you are referring to the actual real life religion that has sprouted up when it comes to jedi i want to agree with you. When i looked into the jedi religion that has sprouted up over the past years , I was disgusted.

I saw a story about a man/boy that refused to take off his hood inside a store because it was his religion to wear a hood. That religion was the Jedi religion.

A real Jedi would have happily taken off his hood knowing that the action of wearing a hood or not wearing a hood is nothing to cause conflict about. Also the very act of conversing with the anti hood store worker was a way for the force itself to interact with this so called jedi. The force called upon him and he failed miserably.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

Breath in, breath out...

Jedi/sith are completely based on SAMURAI.

DARTH VADER ARMOR IS BASED ON SAMURAI ARMOUR DESIGN!!! "The Jedi/samurai" are what Im complaining about.

Plus the force in the series, which seems like it based OF CHI, QI. Star Wars appears to be heavily influenced
by the oriental.

Do some research.

edit on 1-8-2013 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

I Thank God, Allah,...Satan that they don't have a church.

My objection is...Well...Im not giving out any ideas on that.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Yes, half my argument is that it uses ancient traditions, philosophy, as well as mythology, which ends up being pretty much "Occult", which doesn't follow such trends. They try to understand mechanics of life, consciousness, or forces that have been around for an unfathomable amount of aeons. And their has probably been BILLIONS in the history of humankind that were probably very much like new agers, cause they defy the trend.

The only thing I can agree about new age is that it does teach to be patient, in order to reach a higher mind state.
Which all religions try to teach, however most fail at it amazingly. So one has to end up trying to find it own path, or flow of life that divides itself from the common trends. New Age just seems like it want to categorize itself in its own way like gentiles, pagan, christian,...the list goes on.

So in a way I guess, my argument is completely flawed. AND YES IM RANTING!!!! Have you seen the metaphysics department sometimes, let alone other sites!!!
Its in the ranting section, it supposed to be here!

Don't even get me started with New Agers and Aliens.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Specimen

Breath in, breath out...

Jedi/sith are completely based on SAMURAI.

DARTH VADER ARMOR IS BASED ON SAMURAI ARMOUR DESIGN!!! "The Jedi/samurai" are what Im complaining about.

Plus the force in the series, which seems like it based OF CHI, QI. Star Wars appears to be heavily influenced
by the oriental.

Do some research.

edit on 1-8-2013 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

Do some research

The philosophy behind the jedi and the sith compared to real life samurai are different in more ways than not. If I had a good computer and a scanner I would submit pages of text to prove this, and if I cared to google this info I can also prove your statement false(and i just might if i get bored later)

Darth vaders helmet was based on the samurai armor. The rest of his outer layer in no way resembled samurai armor..

Do some research

And if you want to get technical. Darth vader did not have armor, he had a cybernetic prison built around his body designed by the emperor, it was the emperors way of keeping a leash on his fiercest Dog.

However Vader was able to make some upgrades as the years went on, When the emperor loosened his grip or when Vader successfully conspired against him, dont quote me on that one though.

Do some research.

The art of Chi, QI and the force in the star war series are similar, but it is also similar with East Indian beliefs and other cultures that meditate religiously. So its not just "oriental" as you so elequintley put it.

And its obvious how many differences there is between CHI and the star wars Force, so i wont even get into that.

and the light saber itself was not based on the Japanese katana if anything it was based on the medieval long sword.

........and fhey did not call them Jedi Shoguns or Jedi Samurai, they called them Jedi knights which also is attributed to the medieval times of King Aurthur and his KNIGHTS of the round table

In Conclusion JedI and samurai are not the same
and as to my other point the real life jedi religion that has sprouted up is bullship and is in no way similar to the actual jedi philosophy, I think there just a bunch of nerds that wanted to take it to the next level

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

George Lucus has already said he based the force on Taoism...just saying.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

thank you for that, since Taoism is Chinese based my point that samurai and Jedi are not the same still upholds

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Religion=Toxic.

I think they should all be done away with and we should all concentrate on what we REALLY need. Love and compassion. Instead of "My god is bigger than yours" BS.

Throw out religion, and just treat eachother well. If you cant throw the religion out, stop force feeding it to everyone. Keep it in your pants as one person said

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Thing is, Western religions often approach religion as an "I'm right, so you must be wrong" thing...

Eastern religions kind of scoff at this idea, and go in with the idea that one doesn't know anything, and finds their own truths. I think it's hard for most Westerners to embrace this idea, and so get caught in that "I'm right, you're wrong" trap.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Sigh...U win. Get off my thread. I don't need to argue about star wars. Do you even understand in what context I meant when I typed up Samurai/Jedi?
edit on 3-8-2013 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yea, that is the usual motif that goes with western religions. That they have sky gods watching consistently 24/7, and are always casting Judgement. That the whole entire theme of western religion is that being "Alive" is the Sin, let alone sex.

Eastern religion pretty much forget sky gods, and rather deal with physical, mental, and spiritual focus. Which is probably why it has gained so much popularity in the west. It hell of a lot more interesting then praying in a church and comprehending an old book. It way more interactive in that sense.

Western religions have a trend of making their god look like a person...Usually an old white man, with a beard, and a lightning bolt/spear who is over powered like Superman(Goku should of won). Eastern however, make their god seem rather like magical/divine creatures whos nature completely outside our own.

I usually consider new age to be heavily cult based in roots, as they try to make themselves seem like their nirvana masters, but yet stick with the western dogma style. Examples, not needed.

What I do find funny and ironic, is how we the west take ideas from the other side of the world, and are adapting to our culture. Yet, the East is doing somewhat the reverse in some sense. It like tattoos, Westerners will get Oriental writings on their body, while easterners will put our alphabetical letters, numerals, or figures on theirs.
edit on 3-8-2013 by Specimen because: added some stuff

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

no, enlighten me, please.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

It was sarcasm smart ass. Wanna keep on trolling about bullshido/star wars?
edit on 4-8-2013 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join