It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Age...Like really.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Howdy,

I really felt like ranting about New Agers, cause really, I think it is on a lower level then religion, and I have been thinking this for a long time. Now, I was sort of into the new age fad a couple of years ago, since I was looking into it in my late teens, trying to look into spirituality, philosophy, or just a meaning. Then I came across New Age and seriously (I MEAN SERIOUSLY) I liked it at first glance. All the talk about reaching Zen, and acquiring inner harmony, and hell some things they would say about alien caught my eye(I don't like saying it myself.)

However, I had my doubts, sometime later,problems.

As time went on, I noticed some BIG PROBLEMS. Alot of people on these new age site seemed rather lost, just taking whatever information they can. Using ideas from other religions, philosophies, and even Gods. Now I don't mind such combinations, as I like to do so myself and it can be rather fun.

What got to me though, is they think they are always right, and they hardly try to prove such arguments, with little or no support prove. Instead they will just use their numbers and gang up. It was like watching a mass group with a messiah complex.

What really grinds my gear though, is that their numbers are getting bigger, as well as it popularity on the internet. Im not interested in getting flags, stars, or starting a huge conversation. I just really felt like speaking my point, cause I feel like crushing Jedi like Samurai with my bare hands.

If this is the way or culture in the future, then sweet merciful Jesus, if these folk go to heaven, then send me to hell.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
New age is in fact very old age in a lot of instances.
Maybe just maybe many are rebelling against the exact stuff you have described new agers do what Christians etc have been doing for centuries (and continue to do so).

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
There will always be those people who are lost and don't truly understand. At least some are trying to better themselves through experiencing what it means to be connected by the world we share with one another. Life is so simple yet made complex by specific constructs of societies. I don't know about you, but i would rather live in a world full of spiritual persons who work together than the society i am currently surrounded by where it is a self destructive, goal-less society built on the fundamentals of a repetitive cycle of destruction. I wouldn't prejudge or put any of us young persons in a specific category in regards to different spiritual understandings or philosophical pursuits. I would try to understand what it is they are truly searching for. From what i can tell it is harmoniously living with nature, with one another without the laws of money.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

New Ager's just seemed to be wrapped up in mysticism. And I've come to learn that mysticism is it own evil, as well as beast. What astounding is that they hardly look at scientific facts, or even follow their philosophy, to the point it hypocritical. And man, I've seen some characters on the web where Im like, DAM...Get out of the house.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Specimen

I can say the same about all the old religions word for word...
I have never had a "new ager wake me up on a sunday morning wanting to try and convert me" so....leave us alone.
I believe in God just not a man made version IE religion.
If people didn't try and ram stuff down anyone's throats the world would be a better place.
edit on 31-7-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but your points can be attributed to ANY religion.

How many threads make the rounds of here with the title: "JESUS is our TRUE saviour ABSOLUTE PROOF," and their thread is nothing more than paraphrased scripture. All the Christains gang up, use their numbers, and start quoting scripture (do I need to mention the word 'subjective,' or is it an understood?) as their proof.

I agree with you, OP, but it's just not "New-Agers." It's religious people in general. When faced with logic and reasoning, they resort to faith and fluffed up esoteric mumbojumbo.

Example; "I don't believe in the Bible being Divine because there is no proof. No human knows God's will, yet this book (that cannot be proven to be holy) claims an absolute, although it was written, translated, and changed by man."

Response? "One day the light of Jesus will enter your Heart and He will have forgiven you."

Fluffed up nonsensical crap, I don't care what denomination or religion it comes from, it's still ridiculous. Religion needs to go away.

When the Bible was written, what did those people know about black holes, quantom physics, dark matter; what about the term infinity? Two things should ALWAYS be considered when dealing with religious people (Christains primarily).

1. God doesn't have a religion.
2. We live in a universe, that as far as we can tell, is infinite. Infinity is out of our comprehension. But God sent his only Son to save the human race, from itself, in which it was known to God from square one he'd have to send his own Son (he is omnipotent and omniscient right?) And look at how far we haven't come. Drone striking innocent civilians, brainwashing (through religion ironically enough).

Religion needs to go. Instead of wanting answers to our existence and universe, these people are happy with "God did it." Talk about moving the human race forward. We need a tangible, fixed point in history to change things. Not some all knowing wizard that sits in the sky but never does anything (unless it's in the form of talking to someone's mind and telling them to get on ATS and share their profound revelation about the true existence of God).

Sorry I kind of made a rant of my own.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I haven't heard much about the new age and what it is. I heard on the radio the other day some guy said something about this is the new age and I laughed and said to myself in the car..."what an idiot".

I think what it is though is mixing all the religions together and just trying to find peace. These people have lost faith in religion (in which they should) and are looking for answers to their existence. Then someone's views might change someone's belief and make them think it is true, so then that person will defend that view because he believes it to be true...just like all religions.

edit on 31-7-2013 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jvm222

Honestly I'm the type of person that can go with flow, and I can handle change. However, I don't think New Age is the way, as it just takes the philosophy of the old age(which shows it can endure). I know some folks are mentally ill and they believe(Im trying to avoid them), while others are perfect in health, and follow it like it was Buddha.

However, they usually say I'm not here to judge, but usually their judgement already kicks in, when one doesn't follow it. Let alone no matter how hard you try humble try to be to the new agers, they'd rather just duck.

It just, I'm seeing disturbing trends that enter the back of my mind. Btw, ever head of natural selection by Darwin, which basically thrives on death.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

And this is why I don't want the new agers to have their own church. It bad enough I have to avoid Jehovah witnesses and the mormons. At least the Muslims and Sikh's keep their religion to themselves in my neighborhood.

Also something about third eye symbolism, right-hands, trying to speak like Jesus, or claim you speak for Jesus.

Really irritates me.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by RomeByFire

It alright...Your argument at least reasonable, I can dig it. But this is what I'm getting at. New age seems to be a brand new disease. You can't argue with them, or else they want to crucify you.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Losing my religon video.

I have no idea how to post youtube videos. So if one can fix it for me, much appreciated.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I really felt like ranting about New Agers, cause really, I think it is on a lower level then religion, and I have been thinking this for a long time.

I think religion is on a lower level than New Age. Watch me rant.

Yeah, not worth my time.

If this is the way or culture in the future, then sweet merciful Jesus, if these folk go to heaven, then send me to hell.

No. No, don't go there. I've already got reservations!
edit on 31-7-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I think they are both stupid. New Age is religion in a weaker form, but yet gaining momentum. Really, its the same coin, trying to prove one better then the other. Just one seems to be modernized to be more appealing.

Science on the other hand at least tries. And I hope science can slay the beast.

Are they really that different in their nature? Something I think you should ask your self.
edit on 31-7-2013 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Wat wrong bruh...New Age not as wise or enlightening?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Are you aware that the majority of "New Age" concepts are actually contained within Gnosticism, Kabbalism, Sufism, Buddhism, Jainism, Daoism, Buddhism, and Hermeticism?

New Age is ancient.

And as far as unscientific,.... quantum and traditional physics as well as neuro-sciences are reconfirming what the ancients already knew, and what the "New Agers" propagate today.

edit on 7/31/13 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The way I see it, this New-Age spiritual movement is the beginning of a restructuring of religion as a whole. I identify with those New-Agey people because I believe our current forms of religion are broken and in need of some serious work.

The New-Age belief system is basically a melting pot of religion. You can throw in whatever beliefs from whatever religion you desire and reforge it into a new religion. However, just creating a mosaic of different belief systems isn't sufficient to make the belief system work, there are a lot of incompatible beliefs out there which simply can not fit together.

I tend to think that bits of truth are scattered throughout all religions, but those truths have been corroded over thousands of years by doctrines created by humanity. One must carefully sort out the truth from the junk, and diligently clean the junk which is caked onto the bits of truth. Then, when you have clean, shiny bits of truth, begin the work of fitting them together.

Each New-Age truth-seeker creates their own unique reconstruction of the truth. Some may be a bit lazy, so their model still has chunks of debris in it. Most come closer to the truth than your average Christian or Muslim or WhatHaveYou who unquestioningly accepts the broken model handed to them.

The problem, which you have seen for yourself, OP, is when New-Agers try to sell each other their models of truth. This is a regression to the same problems of old religion that we are trying to overcome!

If you accept someone else's model of truth without questioning or examining it, you are no better than a sheep.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Did you just took what I said earlier, and tried put it in my mouth?

Honestly, I'm standing my ground against New Age. Cause really, it not new.

There, I did the same thing you did.

edit on 31-7-2013 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

So all the other religions which include Hinduism, Buddhism which are new age get on your nerves because people talk about them okay...what is your religion?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Thank you. I didn't want to have to type it all out, and you've saved me the time and energy.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

The major problem with your rant, complaint, and conjecture is that there is no "Church of the New Age". There is no unified body nor unified belief system. There is not one book nor one guru/teacher that is universal for "New Agers".

How can you complain against an entire segment of the population when this segment has no unifying characteristics other than the superficial label of "New Age" that others use to group and marginalize an overwhelming difference of belief and opinion?

Furthermore, your complaints in the op are so general that they can apply to any one person of any faith, any non-faith, and any ideology.

Basically, you mentioned some qualities that you do not like about humans, and then superimposed them onto "New Agers."

Besides the human qualities that you do not like that can be found in any person,.... what is it about New Age movement that you have objection to?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join