It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It seems there are two main ways of obtaining stars on ATS...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

A healing spring of sorts! Let's sign a petition to make it a sticky. Haha.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I visit a site with a very active chat board. Every once in a while, the site owner will solicit for 'Moderators'. There's no pay, no coupons, no freebies... no nothing, for accepting the "position."

And people inundate his mailbox with replies to get that coveted "Mod" position. Why? The only reason one would have is their interpretation of power! Being a Mod in a busy chat room gives these people a sense of power they obviously are lacking in their real lives.

A venue to control people to some degree, for no other reason than to control, ban, bounce, censor... whatever a Mod does. All for nothing but self-gratification.

To a large extent, I think this "Star and Flag" fascination is alot like the mentality that the people I've mentioned above are inflicted with. It's their way of punishing or rewarding those with like beliefs. Beliefs held by the person submitting the OP.

I've also found, unfortunately, there seems to be too much "personal animosity" at the core of clicking for a star or flag, for some people. It's also reflected within the comments of those with the hidden grudge or simple dislike of the OP. Regardless of the content, some people here will offer only negative and disruptive comments... no matter what!

Frankly, I don't care one little cell's worth, whether I have 1 or 1,000 stars/flags. I will remain true to my beliefs. All it takes is an extremely rational argument or proof I am wrong--- I'll change that belief in a heartbeat, if I feel it's the right thing to do. Otherwise, screw 'em.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
reply to post by PurpleVortex

yea this could be the "come here and get a star" thread... for people who never get starred anywhere.

OP... change title to "ATS star sell out - we give stars here"

*ATS star sell out...giving back to the community* with only a limited time you too can get a free star ( you heard it right) when you pop in This thread.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Hey! I want my !STAR!

I find that I will read over a hand full of posts to a subject that pulls me in. If I agree, I'll start. If I dont agree, I wont. If I agree with something but not all of it, I'll star it and respond with my stance on the issue.

So all in all, I give stars based on whether or not I fully agree with a post/response. Of course dont hit all of them since I wont spend all that much time on a thread unless I'm really into it.

edit on 31-7-2013 by theRhenn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Also add in rep. Those with an already stellar rep on here will get the benefit of the doubt...and rightfully so. I just read some things from a popular figure on here and even though it made no sense they got lots of stars. I sometimes wonder if they do that on purpose to see if their groupies still star

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I've had it up to here with getting ganged up
reply to post by EllaMarina

Whoa ! And you have the nerve to complain about people acting like five year olds !!

Dude get a grip, are you still of school age ?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

Yea I've noticed that too, it's like ATS groupie's.

I want one

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Well that's just great! Stars are worthless? I was saving up for a new toaster or coffee pot or something...Now I guess I'll have to sell them privately and I'll never get what I thought they were worth!!!! Sometime life just aint fair

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina
Crafting an intelligent and good-spirited reply, and acting like a total five-year old.

I must know once and for all. Why do people star rude comments? The ones that I've seen get them usually contain an element of what might be interpreted as a humorous jibe, but as someone who was on the receiving end of my share of such, let me assure you, it's meant to be hurtful. A lot.

And people approve of that. Just... WHY? I've had it up to here with getting ganged up on.

yup!

Happens to me all the time, very frustrating.

You craft what is basically a post that kills another members argument and get something stupid in response like

"
you actually believe what the news tells you, you must be either getting paid to post this disinfo or your the most ignorant member on ATS"

Which ends up with about 10 stars.

how that happens i have no idea

it happens with threads as well which is really annoying and the reason i dont really write any big threads that require lots of work anymore.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Cry me a river!
Hang on,my violin is here somewhere.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I like cake.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina
Crafting an intelligent and good-spirited reply, and acting like a total five-year old.

I must know once and for all. Why do people star rude comments? The ones that I've seen get them usually contain an element of what might be interpreted as a humorous jibe, but as someone who was on the receiving end of my share of such, let me assure you, it's meant to be hurtful. A lot.

And people approve of that. Just... WHY? I've had it up to here with getting ganged up on.

LOL.....why are we talking about stars again?

I get what you are saying. But ignore the stars, flags, WATS, Karma....all that stuff. Just do your thing.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ChristianJihad

If you wish, replace "five-year old" with neolithic brainless caveman.
My point remains the same. Magic!

edit on 31-7-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Imagine that someone judging a member by stars, realizes that they have all those stars based on rude and obnoxious behavior. How dumb will they feel then?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn

I agree. I tend to lurk and read threads. I star those that I agree with for the most part. Sometimes I even star someone that I don't agree with if respond to the subject/thread with intelligence and not attacking another's personal opinion.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
okaaay! just so everyone knows... I've already done my round and everyone got a star... even christianjihad and theothersideofthecoin... hehe...

STARS! STARS! COME GET YOURS!!!

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kreyvic

I like cake.

shut up.

Here. Have a star.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

No crying here. I'm just plain annoyed. You know how it goes, when something tiny bothers you for long enough.

Now then, I observe that if your reply gets any more stars, it will get to be my very own built-in citation.

edit on 31-7-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
if i post to say i'm giving everyone a star, will everyone then give me a star. even though i never gave anyone a star?

i see whats going on here. : /

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Rikku

theres your star. That's how it works 'round here.

btw... where are my stars from the latest posts?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join