It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facial Recognition Powered Advertisements

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
So you thought watching your browsing habits to sell you crap of the internet was bad, now they plan to do it in the streets.

BBC News link

Second source

You are walking down the street and the advertisement window scans your face, decides what category you fall into and then displays an inviting advert to draw you into a product.

At what point is this general public analyzing too much?

I like to think i make up my own mind, but its getting less and less used - we are heading to ward the classic "dumb robo human" of the future, being told what to eat, drink, what to buy to sleep on or in, even change our perception of what a "good deal is" and what to be worried about.

Once upon a time you could ware a balaclava because you were cold, not any more
shame is it. Ive just about had enough, what religion is it that you can cover your face up in public and not be arrested? Starting to sound good just for that!

What do you think? when is it just down right intrusive of an effort to sell you stuff?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Wonder how long it will be before the first profiling lawsuit comes up with these....can only imagine what the stores have as "intelligence" built into the software and the types of decisions the software has to make based on certain features of a persons face. This should work out really well for them....NOT.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

you cant use a balaclava?

you mean "without being profiled" or you "cant-cant"?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

I will "get hassled" if i wore one out side of the arctic tundra.

I wore one as a kid playing in the snow in winter with many others - now they are only ever seen on swat teams.

Have to admit i havnt even tried lately, mostly because i dont own one, in fact i bet i would get odd looks just buying one these days!

Just dislike the idea of being captured every day, profiled and then pitched too. Seems lazy and intrusive for better targetted adverts = more money for less work for the fat cats dreaming up this stuff. I dont like it on the web but i have a ad blocker - so no big deal.

Face blocker? seems unnecessary no?
edit on 31-7-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

"face blocker"

Well I have a couple balaclavas... but anyway, on topic... its a good idea, in theory - its cool looking from a tech point of view, seems like that sci-fi tech in movies - I think its cool. In practice... I honestly dont know if I want to see my face plastered everywhere. Even I get tired of myself sometimes.

As for the "only the advertising", it doesnt bother me... I know people have a lot against it but I dont really care about ads so they dont bother me.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Fair enough

I however dis like adverts intensely. I only drop my browser blocker for certain sites, this being one because they are funding a good cause - not just sucking money for the sake of lining a wallet.

I do not want to make their adverts more effective at making me spend my money on their crap. I admit it works, even though not well on me, i do not want to be a part of it but i dont have a choice. I am making their AD campaigns better against my will, i cant opt out of it in public without covering my face!

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Looks like the blocking glasses will be more common place.

...or at least until the camera's get proper filters to block the blocking LEDs.

Seen a thread a while back on facial paint schemes that do the same thing. The techno punk look linky.

top topics

join