It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can ATS still be called a CONSPIRACY site?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus

So, I ask ATS members- Should we still call ATS a Conspiracy Site? I know it is billed otherwise, but outside ATS, people still refer to it as a Conspiracy Site.

Good OP, Emeritus. The concluding sentence says it is billed otherwise than a conspiracy site. Whatever people want to call it does not change its nature nor reduce its charm and its certain mystique for me in an case. No matter what my mood or state of mind, no matter what suites my fancy on any given day, there is still enough intriguing stuff going on, including conspiracies. After all, so long as one corporation tries to get ahead of the pack and lies in some government official's riding or sphere of influence, you will probably find some collusion in its arsenal. The difficult part is in syphoning it all out.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

well everything you listed is american politics.
there is a lot more going on in the world than american politics.
so i would say yes, of course ATS can still be considered a conspiracy site.
because here we discuss a helluva lot more that american politics
typical american viewpoint....
there is a world outside of america you know
edit on 31/7/13 by SecretKnowledge because: added the last 2 lines

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FFS4000

Originally posted by FFS4000

Ok, so why are certain conspiracies not allowed, especially given the moniker about denying ignorance. Cheech and Chong ? One of the reasons i very rarely visit this site now

I'm not aware of any conspiracies that aren't 'allowed'. I've read every kind of theory here, the only reason I can see a conspiracy being disallowed is if the mods found it offensive.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Conspiracy site??

What? I thought this was a social networking site for the mentally ill.

Just kidding, but I would say It's a forum for almost everything with a conspiracy kicker.
edit on 31-7-2013 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

...many of the "conspiracy" theories debated on ATS are no longer conspiracies, they are just plain FACTS.

Thats true. New members who have begun to be suspicious of the MSM "truths" come here to get a different perspective on what they have been taught. Is this new mind meld the media uses deception or what? So we review it and shed old light on the new "twist".

Then newcomers can see the world from a different perspective. In that regard ATS is an "ongoing" conspiracy website.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I could go on and on, but the point is that most conspiracies discussed here have become reality. So, I ask ATS members- Should we still call ATS a Conspiracy Site? I know it is billed otherwise, but outside ATS, people still refer to it as a Conspiracy Site.

The word 'conspiracy' is applied with a wide brush today... covering a larger area than the word was ever intended.

The world around us has gotten a lot smaller... meaning that as places to hide things has shrunk, the ability of the average Joe (and Jane) to see at least some smidgen of the hidden, has increased. The result is that today, any second guessing of official offering is considered a conspiracy theory. The result of that is that sites like ATS have had to expand their digital landscape to accommodate a wider array of stock.

So... in the end... it is the concept of the conspiracy that has changed... IMESHO

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

A.) The NSA is engaged in a full blown effort to record every electronic device on earth. In addition, it has been confirmed that the government routinely opens even or snail mail.

# 18 The brain is an electronic device.

Yes, they can.

As they judge...so shall they be judged.

Just wanted them to be aware, so there are no surprises when they start dropping like geostationary satellites, like flies on a dungheap inferno.
edit on 31-7-2013 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I can cook a recipe, fix my car and computer, listen to music, discuss art and painting......well...

A CONSPIRACY site? No. It used to be that....

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

conspiracy fact site?

we should of all forums, be the ONE to drive a stake in the "conspiracy theory" vampire, that term has sucked the life out of valid conspiracies for decades, many proven and validated over time. SOME NOT..

We should enter into the lexicon a word created here that describes something that is anti-'conspiracy theory' in it's effects.

Kinda like how the [i]BS flag get's waved whenever heard.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
Just out of curiosity, how would the most open administration in US history actually look if their was a decent president in charge?
edit on 31-7-2013 by IvanAstikov because: (no reason given)

in a word?

GUILTY

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
yet ATS mocks and ridicules any and all talk of the reality of media fakery
and it's incorporation into events like 9/11, sandy hook, boston bombings etc. etc..

a conspiracy within a conspiracy site?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
It all comes down to programming and semantics. Notice how you said "conspiracy' in your title, ommitting 'theory'. Conspiracies are all around us, since the dawn of time. It is another thing to include 'theory', like Sandy Hook, there are still 'theories' adressing this tragic event or non-event. Evolution is a theory, AGW is a theory, Obama being a clone of Achenaten is a 'theory', Moon bases are a theory etc etc. And ATS has simply lost the war on freeing itself from disinfo agents, propaganda trolls etc- Notice how3 Infowars never makes it here now, why? A good site should be open to all theories and not presenting itself as another ideological paradigm, which exacty what this site, along with others has succumbed to- it is very weak as a provocative conspiracy 'theory' site.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
When NASA announce's Moon bases and intelligent life on Mars we can ask ATS management to change the conspiracy concept.

Good luck on that one!

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
I keep saying this again and again,

Before Snowden came out it was common knowledge that "they" were spying on their own citizens. That is what ECHELON was all about, the NSA could not quite legally spy on its own citizens with out a warrant so under the ECHELON agreement they would get GCHQ to spy on Joe the yank and GCHQ would send all the info back to the NSA. It gave them the capability to spy on everyone, including their own citizens.

It just amazes me time and time again that people talk about the revelations about NSA spying.... like they're revelations and they're not. Anyone who has the balls the call themselves a "Conspiracy theorist" should not be talking about Snowden like he is "revealed anything". that big. We have always known that the NSA have had ways of spying on American Citizens, just like we knew before Snowden of the NSA code embedded in window's OS so its not really much of a surprise that others have been in on it as well.

Besides, just because recent revelations (to some) about the NSA have proven that they have indeed been spying on their own citizens only proves one of the millions of conspiracies out there. Unless Snowden has proved all of the other conspiracies out there to be true as well then I dont really see how you can claim ATS is now as site for Conspiracy Fact, rather than Conspiracy theory, just because one (There have been others) of them turned out to be true.

As for UFO's, I believe in UFO's but unlike the NSA spying on American citizens the existence of little green men in flying space ships visiting us is not a absolute fact.

So yes ATS is still a conspiracy site, although i like to think of is more as a current affairs forum these days.
edit on 31-7-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

It amazes me people think echelon was first. It's goes even farther than that to the "Black Chamber." They were monitoring telegrams. It's how they intercepted the Zimmerman Telegram in 1917. Which ironically gave the United States an excuse to engage in World War I under the auspice that Mexico would help Germany attack the United states because of the Mexican-American war.

As for this being a conspiracy site, it probably isn't because most of the conspiracies get covered up by the website itself through it's 'flagging system.' The conspiracies that end up facts would be showcased on the homepage if this was indeed a conspiracy site. I believe it's more of come post your ideas and be ridiculed for thinking differently type of site.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
ATS is not just for Americans.....

The rest of us get to see first hand and in real time where we are headed by your example (mostly talking about the UK here)
edit on 31-7-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

Flattery will get you nowhere.

If that's not a backhanded compliment, I don't know what is.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I'm sorry it took so long to get back to this thread. I had erroneously hit enter after keying in the title, then went back to edit it, but it was gone. I thought I had lost what you finally seen keyed in at the OP post, and signed off. I just signed on and had private messages from mods that had restored my OP and moved it to another forum. Again, I apologize for not responding sooner.
Anyway, I have read all of the responses, and I appreciate the perspectives that many have given, from different angles. First, let me address some of the objections regarding the US-centric appearance of the OP. Yes, it was US-centric, and I understand those concerns. I do, though, wish to point out that many of the concerns that I brought up regarding the NSA, CIA, etc. are not unique to the US. In fact, Germany, France, Israel and much of Western Europe, with a few exceptions have similar organizations, and I would bet dollars to donuts that many of the tactics used by our intelligence agencies are mimicked in your countries. Furthermore, as you all know, the economic devastation experienced over the last 6-7 years rippled through most of the world banks and economies. I need not tell those involved with the Euro about the problems there. Unlike the Las Vegas saying, "What happens here does not just stay here, and visa versa." The world monetary system and the world economic interdependence mean that trouble for one, is usually trouble for all.
I think there is broad agreement that ATS is much more than a Conspiracy Site, and in fact, in many cases, ATS members have been in the forefront of proving long-suspected conspiracies are actual facts.
Many threads come in as Conspiracies, and are either debunked, or proven to be true. I hope we all continue to challenge the conspiracies with open minds, and do our best to either debunk them or prove them to be factual. Thanks again to all for participating. I hope others chime in with their thoughts on this subject. We all learn when people take the time to give honest opinions, especially when they are backed up by facts.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

The "labeling" and "Boxing" terminology has certainly expired as far as this site goes.
Once a community realizes and agrees that they are being Ripped Off on a Daily Basis,
the mindset evolves from "conspiracy" into " "Common Knowledge".

What is a conspiracy other than a group of individuals plotting an illegal act for personal gain?

So what else is new?

This site is more about questioning the general statements put forth by Journalism/Media/Science/
History/Worldwide Politico Propaganda Machine. Humint

Barnum and Baily ran a Circus S&F

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Once a community realizes and agrees that they are being Ripped Off on a Daily Basis, the mindset evolves from "conspiracy" into " "Common Knowledge".
reply to post by Wildmanimal

That's an excellent way to put it. Bravo!

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Don't mention it ProfEmeritus,
as I was at a loss for words.

Best,,,W

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
These conspiracies have been verified much to certain people's dismay I'm sure.I consider ATS to be THE CONSPIRACY SITE.Your are simply not gonna find the abundance of topics anywhere online.

PS:OP great thread as usual.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join