It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you do when life seems to throw endless problems your way???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Hello OP and Everyone,
Some very wise words here, by people who can relate.

I have also been going through years of physical pain, emotional suffering, financial hardship and separation from family. I really hate it when someone says to me, "When you're at the bottom...there's no where to go but up." My reply would be, "No...actually you can roll around on the bottom for a long time."

Down time, due to not working or injury/illness gives you a LOT of time to think. You have been processing all that has happened to you so far....now it's time to think about where you want to go from here.

When I'm down, I watch movies that make me feel better....or listen to my favourite music. At some point you have to stop beating yourself up. Be as kind to yourself as possible. Believe that you have learned much, and also believe that this time will end.

I am still struggling too, and don't have all the answers (for my own circumstances). BUT...I have made a significant attitude adjustment, and am actively trying to improve what I can.
Like others here said....baby steps. Sometimes Aerosmith's 'Amazing' is my anthem...."You gotta learn to crawl....before you learn to walk"....."When the moment arrives, you know you'll be alright".

We will overcome.
jacygirl

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

Exactly!

I forgot about "Amazing".' I haven't thought of that song in years. Music is a great medicine...especially when you're "rolling around at the bottom" as you put it.

Here's one of my favorites...one that always gets me on my feet and in a positive thought space. Maybe it can work a lil magic for the OP too.

This is one of the big reasons I enjoy ATS. We are a true "community". Unlike so many other sites, we have some of the most thoughtful, insightful posters on the Internet. The trolls aren't winning here...as much as they are trying.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

What do you do when life seems to throw endless problems your way???

My own, personal favorite motto:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
When life throws you lemons? Make lemonade. Get out the glasses.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Really; when life hands you a lemon, you break out the Tequila and salt.

I too have had some hardships.
Went from a $50k a year job and owning my own home to now where I am on disability with a life threatening illness, living in a 2 room basement appt. without even a car.
Things will still look up.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Just want to say - wow -- I read many stories on ATS by folks who are having a really tough time - serious injury or illness, loss of child or spouse, lengthy job loss, home loss, and more...and I am amazed.

I've had really hard times in my life, poverty, loss of loved ones, etc. Days of endless mind-numbing work at wages that wouldn't allow me to splurge on a pack of gum or morning muffin.

But, even now, with some of the issues I am facing, I am humbled by the stories of survival and human spirit here. Even those who are down, depressed, scared--there's something that comes through in their posts that makes me so proud of them. Rarely if ever have I seen a post about someone who is just complaining and feeling sorry for their predicament.

I hope it's reflective of the human spirit, but for sure it's reflective of the ATS member spirit.

A tough bunch here, despite sometimes tremendous odds. Love & Light to everyone who is having a rough go of it. Seriously, I am humbled, and I hope I never feel sorry for my own issues knowing so many here are facing even bigger ones.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by new_here
reply to post by spartacus699

I learned that I was harboring resentment towards my own self over past mistakes. Punishing myself, so to speak. Setting myself up in a number of ways, to experience misery. I learned that I was attracting negative reactions/situations by 'secretly' believing I deserved them.

So I thought of that little child within. That innocent little being within me who only ever really wanted to love and be loved. I pictured my inner child as a wide-eyed 4 year old... and she was lonely and crying, and needed me, more than anyone, to accept her-- faults and all-- and love her unconditionally. As strange as this all sounds, I looked into the mirror, deep into my own eyes and said, "You are Love. You are Worthy. I forgive you for not being perfect. Feel Love."

I think the post above is excellent advise. Spartacus, your outlook on life is so similar to mine. For the past 10+ years, ever since I graduated from high school, I always got so close to success, time after time, and every time I got knocked down and I was at square one. I always brushed any kind of misfortune off as bad things happen to everyone, and it could be a whole lot worse, I could be a starving Ethiopian child, or raped or whatever. I always counted my blessings and remembered that every obstacle toughened me up and made me the strong warrior that I am. I never let it get me down and always picked myself up and like you, was at a place where nothing phased me anymore. It was like "here we go again" and I got through all of that other stuff, I can get through anything now. But there came a point where I realized it was getting ridiculous and I was ready to be past these same old obstacles and move on to some new and more interesting ones. I was determined to figure out what was causing this pattern. Hell, I even went through past life regression to fiure out what it was, and I'm glad I did but it seemed to raise more questions than it answered. But somehow I just knew that I was pushing the things I want away. As soon as I came close, I had this feeling in my gut that said "no, I don't want it" and it p!ssed me the hell off! I couldn't stop it.

This is what helped me and it's very similar to what new_here posted. For a moment, I felt small and insecure, like a frightened little girl. This being the complete opposite of my nature, I was wondering where it came from. So I thought back in my mind to my early childhood to when I remembered feeling like that, pictured myself as a little girl and basically told my child self that my situation wasn't fair, but that it was necessary to make me tough and self reliant and that it helped her become who she is today. I told myself to be brave and that things will be better in the future. I actually "went back" to talk to my child self on a few different occasions for different issues. But that was just the beginning. I had a lot of issues, lol.

This was an ongoing process which just begun not long ago. I did this on a weekly which now became a daily basis. Another day I focused on the pattern I was living, always being knocked down, pushing good things away, etc, and I just sat in silence and asked for an answer why. I guess you could say I meditated on it. I didn't try to get an answer, I first calmed myself down and focused on my breath for a bit and then just kind of...cleared my energy? Don't know how to put that. Anyway, I just thought about the pattern. Then memories came forth where it happened before, which brought back earlier and earlier memories, like the flood gates started to open. I then got hit with memories that have long since been repressed, completely forgot about them. The light bulb went off, and it suddenly became perfectly clear to me why this was happening. I felt lighter, like a weight had been lifted but at the same time I felt those emotions again which were unpleasant. Instinctively, I felt that I needed to feel those emotions strongly in order for me to truly get past it and move on. So I did that, found the nugget of usefulness that I could take from it, how it helped toughen me, and released it. But that wasn't it, other memories kept coming which explained all of these other issues I've had that I didn't even really think about. Don't get me wrong, I'm a very functioning member of society, but I never realized I was carrying around all of this baggage, and anyone else you talk to who knows me would never have guessed it either. I'm still working through it, it's been about a month since I've started this little journey but I so far I feel a lot better. I'm still working on a big one that came up though.

Anywho, sorry or being so long winded. I think if you look around at your situation, think about what is familiar about it and the answers will probably come.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Galadriel

you can say that again..... Here's what we're like......

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Beartracker16

God bless you friend. Ive used humor to get by in my life. Ive had my share as well around me.

Cancer deaths, best friends passing, serious illness...small stroke, 2 heart procedures, homelessness...and I even...many years ago...sat in the dark with a single shotgun shell in a sawedoff in a dark and empty house close to suicide....Many years later, I had a near fatal fall from heights that crippled me for awhile, but I survived.

The "lemons-make-lemonade" joke was a methaphor. You just have to make the best out of life trials and tribulations. It sure was not easy, but we come out stronger if we make the best out of it all and learn something from it.

These days Im blessed with a good job, some volunteering too, a great wife and little dog that loves me. I get down with the loss of my brother-bestfriend lately....but Im left to carry on. Im fortunate to be here...

Good luck to you...thanks MS
edit on 05/05/13 by mysterioustranger because: spell ck

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join