It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assault Rifles, Shotguns, And Handguns

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
The right to bear arms is a right we take seriously in our state. I love weapons. Do you guys love weapons? I own a slovakian made ak47(my favorite so far), savage 22 long rifle auto loader, sig sauer 22 auto loader, 410 shotgun, 12 gauge, and a remington 243 bolt action. I don't have any handguns or grenades but I would love to.. But I'm sure that grenades are probably highly illegal in most states..if not all.. My next purchase will probably be a colt or windham ar15.. I want an ar15 badly. Does anybody here own an ar15? I've never even shot one..But i really like the look and feel of colt ar's..I was going to see if my fellow ats members would also like to share their arsenals? And if anyone owns an ar15 I would like to know how does it perform? I'm seriously thinking about getting one. They have colt ar's at my local wal mart and they look so nice. I'm tempted to pay the full price..
edit on 30-7-2013 by WhiteNite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteNite

What on earth do you propose to do with hand grenades ? .....I hate to think !

The gun collection sounds a bit obssessional, a handgun for personal defence
against other gun nutters I can understand, but this little arsenal sounds a bit o.t.t....

But then I'm British, and wouldn't understand the need to be armed to the teeth.....

I keep an unloaded air gun under the bed, to frighten burglars, is that impressive ?

( It has been there 22 years, is covered in dust, due to lack of burglars where I live.)

...... No ? I thought not !

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

I don't have any handguns or grenades but I would love to.. But I'm sure that grenades are probably highly illegal in most states..

Thank goodness you're writing down your thoughts, otherwise how would we piece together the next shooting spree..?

edit on 31-7-2013 by facelift because: Add: we

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   

The right to bear arms is a right we take seriously in our state.

Being that your location is Mississippi, I definitely would agree with that. (Although I wish the legislature in my state of Texas would do a little bit more than they have lately).

But I'm sure that grenades are probably highly illegal in most states

For explosives, you will need to try and get a license from the ATF. I believe it's called something like an Explosives/Destructive Devices (DD) permit. Good luck with that nowdays though. I hear the ATF is pretty backlogged with regards to FFL licenses, so I really wouldn't count on getting a DD license.

As for choosing your first AR....I would say go to your local gun shop, or big box chain such as Cabela's, and see what all is available in your area. You could go ahead and order off the internet, but I always prefer to see and hold the gun first. Even better if you can take it to the range before you buy.

Im more of an AK person, and am not all too familiar with ARs. Ive really only somewhat checked up on a DPMS Oracle. $699 at my local Cabela's. (problably the cheapest AR widely available at the current time....I would love to see the Olympic Arms rifles widely available again, but I have no idea if they will come back soon). Other AR's there go up to $1500. Anyways, from what I gathered on the DPMS Oracle, it's pretty much a basic AR build, and it's ment to be customized. One problem though, is the gas block rails are a tiny bit lower than the rail on the receiver....basically meaning you can use just any flip up sights, as they will be out of alignment. You could try and hunt down a DPMS specific front sight if you want to.
edit on 31-7-2013 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

ETA - Also, you may want to not call civilian semi-auto rifles "assault rifles". You will probably get some flak from others in the gun culture. I usually refer to them as modern sporting rifles, or just semi-auto rifles.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrJohnSmith

What on earth do you propose to do with hand grenades ? .....I hate to think !

The gun collection sounds a bit obssessional, a handgun for personal defence
against other gun nutters I can understand, but this little arsenal sounds a bit o.t.t....

But then I'm British, and wouldn't understand the need to be armed to the teeth.....

I keep an unloaded air gun under the bed, to frighten burglars, is that impressive ?

( It has been there 22 years, is covered in dust, due to lack of burglars where I live.)

...... No ? I thought not !
Only two I've purchased myself the others just passed down from my father and grandfather and gifts. Just a collection to shoot at the backyard range..lol nothing too serious. Very rural area in MS here so my collection is nothing compared to what I've seen. The folks in Louisiana have fully automatic beasts.
edit on 31-7-2013 by WhiteNite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687

The right to bear arms is a right we take seriously in our state.

Being that your location is Mississippi, I definitely would agree with that. (Although I wish the legislature in my state of Texas would do a little bit more than they have lately).

But I'm sure that grenades are probably highly illegal in most states

For explosives, you will need to try and get a license from the ATF. I believe it's called something like an Explosives/Destructive Devices (DD) permit. Good luck with that nowdays though. I hear the ATF is pretty backlogged with regards to FFL licenses, so I really wouldn't count on getting a DD license.

As for choosing your first AR....I would say go to your local gun shop, or big box chain such as Cabela's, and see what all is available in your area. You could go ahead and order off the internet, but I always prefer to see and hold the gun first. Even better if you can take it to the range before you buy.

Im more of an AK person, and am not all too familiar with ARs. Ive really only somewhat checked up on a DPMS Oracle. $699 at my local Cabela's. (problably the cheapest AR widely available at the current time....I would love to see the Olympic Arms rifles widely available again, but I have no idea if they will come back soon). Other AR's there go up to $1500. Anyways, from what I gathered on the DPMS Oracle, it's pretty much a basic AR build, and it's ment to be customized. One problem though, is the gas block rails are a tiny bit lower than the rail on the receiver....basically meaning you can use just any flip up sights, as they will be out of alignment. You could try and hunt down a DPMS specific front sight if you want to.

ETA - Also, you may want to not call civilian semi-auto rifles "assault rifles". You will probably get some flak from others in the gun culture. I usually refer to them as modern sporting rifles, or just semi-auto rifles.
The local gunshop is way more expensive then wal mart. But my Walmart also has a dpms ar and its much cheaper than the colt. The windham is a little more but still less than the colt. But the colt just has that 'look ya know

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteNite
Only two I've purchased myself the others just passed down from my father and grandfather and gifts. Just a collection to shoot at the backyard range..lol nothing too serious. Very rural area in MS here so my collection is nothing compared to what I've seen. The folks in Louisiana have fully automatic beasts.

You really shouldn't try to justify your hobbies to people who disagree. Imagine if I replied to a topic on fine whiskey that "I'm glad the OP posted this, now I know where the next DUI crash/murder will be." Deny Ignorance or show it I guess. I have many ... many more guns than you and I'll never walk into a mall and kill random people just like the majority of gun owners. The above post covering information on destructive devices is correct although not grenades (which are not something you should keep around imo) other compounds such as tannerite can be bought without approval and is much safer and more stable. Also for handguns, if you enjoy the feel of Glocks, I don't, you can get a glock 40 cal (Glock 23 I think) and get interchangable barrels for 9mm and 357 sig. You'll have to google it to get the exact model barrels if your interested but I've seen it a dozen times on various glock forums. Lasty, enjoy your collections and ignore people who say idiotic things like those above..

The local gunshop is way more expensive then wal mart. But my Walmart also has a dpms ar and its much cheaper than the colt. The windham is a little more but still less than the colt. But the colt just has that 'look ya know

Gun show in Atlanta last month had DMPS non sportical models starting at $599 and nice Rock River packages at $999. Prices are way down now that the hysteria is running dry and demand is plummeting... Now demand for ammo needs to do the same
edit on 31-7-2013 by Virole because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

The right to bear arms is a right we take seriously in our state

Let me start by saying I support the 2nd amendment of the American constitution, I understand how guns are part of your culture and are a inevitable part of your society. I say that as a Brit who would never support anything like the second amendment where i live.

I love weapons

ohhhh its one of these threads, its not really so much about guns, but rather its about your constitutionally protected penis enlargement.

Do you guys love weapons

No, weapons, and i include guns, are inherently evil, they are tools designed to kill fundamentally how can anyone "love" anything that's built to end another life.

I don't have any handguns or grenades but I would love to..

Wanting to own a hand gun, that i get, you might want or need one for personal defense.

but dude, seriously,

Why the hell do you need or even want a hand grenade?

But I'm sure that grenades are probably highly illegal in most states..if not all..

yeah.... and.

I want an ar15 badly. Does anybody here own an ar15? I've never even shot one..But i really like the look and feel of colt ar's

yeah you like the look and feel of the gun so you want one.

They have colt ar's at my local wal mart and they look so nice

Nice so get some stuff for a BBQ and buy a AR-15 while your at it.

Honestly it is this type of gun loving that gives people who have legitimate reasons for defending the second amendment a bad name.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

The right to bear arms is a right we take seriously in our state

Let me start by saying I support the 2nd amendment of the American constitution, I understand how guns are part of your culture and are a inevitable part of your society. I say that as a Brit who would never support anything like the second amendment where i live.

I love weapons

ohhhh its one of these threads, its not really so much about guns, but rather its about your constitutionally protected penis enlargement.

Do you guys love weapons

No, weapons, and i include guns, are inherently evil, they are tools designed to kill fundamentally how can anyone "love" anything that's built to end another life.

I don't have any handguns or grenades but I would love to..

Wanting to own a hand gun, that i get, you might want or need one for personal defense.

but dude, seriously,

Why the hell do you need or even want a hand grenade?

But I'm sure that grenades are probably highly illegal in most states..if not all..

yeah.... and.

I want an ar15 badly. Does anybody here own an ar15? I've never even shot one..But i really like the look and feel of colt ar's

yeah you like the look and feel of the gun so you want one.

They have colt ar's at my local wal mart and they look so nice

Nice so get some stuff for a BBQ and buy a AR-15 while your at it.

Honestly it is this type of gun loving that gives people who have legitimate reasons for defending the second amendment a bad name.

I will take the other posters advice and I'm not going to try and justify any of this because you obviously wouldn't understand..

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I will take the other posters advice and I'm not going to try and justify any of this because you obviously wouldn't understand..

I will agree that claims like "weapons are inherently evil" is douchebaggery since nature specifically engineered weapons in every creature on Earth EXCEPT for human beings...teeth, fangs, claws, thorns, venom, stingers, etc etc etc...and it's especially douchebaggery for a Brit to say this seeing the only reason the Brits banned weapons to begin with is so their king could continue wiping his bum on the Irish.

The guns I have in my safe would give every gun hater bad dreams and make them call the therapists they keep on speed dial so I'm as pro-2A as it gets, but I don't understand this either- WTF do you want a grenade for? Not even taking into account that they're illegal and you'll be sent away for a long, long time if you're caught with one, no matter how you use them they're still going to throw shrapnel back at you too. If there's a home intruder in your kitchen and you throw a grenade at him, you're buying a whole new kitchen.

I mean, seriously, what's the point?
edit on 1-8-2013 by GoodOlDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GoodOlDave

It was honestly just a joke and there was more but i editted it cause i knew it would bring in the haters. but I should probably edit it all out..Everyone knows I wouldn't be able to get one if I wanted one. But It would be cool to have an inert pineapple grenade or one from Vietnam just to collect ya know..I've seen em In big boxes at flea markets and stuff but what I really want is an old m1 carbine from ww2.. It shoots .30 caliber bullets I think. Or an m1 garand or even an m14. Don't even know if you can find them

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

reply to post by GoodOlDave

It was honestly just a joke and there was more but i editted it cause i knew it would bring in the haters. but I should probably edit it all out..Everyone knows I wouldn't be able to get one if I wanted one. But It would be cool to have an inert pineapple grenade or one from Vietnam just to collect ya know..I've seen em In big boxes at flea markets and stuff but what I really want is an old m1 carbine from ww2.. It shoots .30 caliber bullets I think. Or an m1 garand or even an m14. Don't even know if you can find them

Yes you can find them but they are of varying degrees of expensive. Personally I would opt for a Garand. Not only is .30-06 ammo a lot easier to find than .30 Carbine, after being used to shooting a Garand you will laugh hysterically if someone hands you a dinky little M1 Carbine.

I have a Garand from 1942. I have seen those things shoot through a whole car...and I don't mean just through the door. I mean through the radiator, through the firewall and dashboard, through both the front and back seat, and out the trunk. Little wonder how Garands were able to destroy Nazi Germany.
edit on 2-8-2013 by GoodOlDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
We are Americans ,we don't shave our chests,usually and we shoot guns,get the hell over it,before you do something that destroys the country.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoodOlDave

...but I don't understand this either- WTF do you want a grenade for? Not even taking into account that they're illegal and you'll be sent away for a long, long time if you're caught with one, no matter how you use them they're still going to throw shrapnel back at you too. If there's a home intruder in your kitchen and you throw a grenade at him, you're buying a whole new kitchen.

I mean, seriously, what's the point?
edit on 1-8-2013 by GoodOlDave because: (no reason given)

You can own then legally. It's a tax stamp and ATF background check. Seeing as they are single use they are extremely expensive.

If I had the money to burn I'd love to buy a couple just to blow up an old car in the field or something. It'd be pretty fun.

Since when has entertainment not been a good enough excuse? Virtually the entire population of the world dedicates all their resources toward simple entertainment.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Way to avoid the troll!! Nice work!

I need to learn how to do that some day!

AR’s are great! They’re relatively inexpensive to shoot. I’d definitely go with the Colt rather than some of the spin offs. It’s a little more up front but is a better shooting rifle. Keep shopping…you’ll find a deal. Prices have come back down a bit from their high several months ago.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

DPMS Panthers are nice and they’re a lot of fun (aren’t all guns) but the quality of a Colt makes it a better buy. If you plan to keep it and you want quality and reliability, get a Colt. If you just want a plinker, get a cheaper one.

Just my $.02

edit on 2-8-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

There are only four major companies who make AR lowers.

To say a Colt is better than a DPMS or Stag is a generic and empty statement.

There are lots of factors that determine the relative quality of an AR variant. Most of which arent listed in manufacturers "specifications" pages and pamphlets since so many sales are made by the rollmark alone.

Simple branding isnt one of them.
edit on 2-8-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

There are lots of factors that determine the relative quality of an AR variant.

I’m not a gunsmith so I don’t know the reason for this but I know that my Colt has less recoil than my DPMS so it's easier to keep on target, it cycles better, and it’s had fewer misfires. Colt also holds value better.

Just my personal experience.

edit on 2-8-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by seabag

There are lots of factors that determine the relative quality of an AR variant. Most of which arent listed in manufacturers "specifications" pages and pamphlets since so many sales are made by the rollmark alone.

edit on 2-8-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

Only for major players in the lower market? What about KAC,Larue,Noveske,Bravo.......Just to name my favorites.

Colt is the best gun for the money. I rank it in the top tier with all the others listed above. With guns you get what you pay for if you buy cheap your gun will suck. I would not touch a DPMS with a ten foot pole.

And AR lovers know Colt is way way better then DPMS or Oracle. Is like comparing a Ford to a Land Rover.

edit on 2-8-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubTruth
Only for major players in the lower market? What about KAC,Larue,Noveske,Bravo.......Just to name my favorites.

KAC lowers are built by LMT.
Noveske by CMT.

Larue and Bravo likely make their own since they are known for other custom metal work.

Colt is the best gun for the money.

Colts are crazy overpriced.

And AR lovers know Colt is way way better then DPMS or Oracle.

I think you mean Colt fanboys not AR lovers.

AR's arent meant to be off the shelf brand-name items. They're a type of rifle with parts available across the spectrum from a number of manufacturers.

Build a few then shoot somebodys packaged Colt. The only thing Colt has on it's side is name recognition.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join