It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Jazeera America, What Will It bring To US News Reporting?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
This is sort of exciting to me having a new major news channel coming to America. At the moment I am not quite certain what to expect. But my dream is for a refreshing change to the status quo and a news channel without any political slant. Can this dream be realized? Or will the hiring of a US team eventually lead us back to where we are today?

With rare past experience with Al Jazeera, I do have vague memories of some pretty darn good reporting and a unique format. And today I looked over their site in more detail vs. just reading the occasional article. It looked pretty decent, but once again who knows what will happen once US citizens start doing the reporting.

I am looking forward to seeing some of your past and present opinions on Al Jazeera, and if you think they can improve upon US news reporting.

Al Jazeera America

Al Jazeera America, the new American news channel that will launch Aug. 20, today announced the correspondents who will report from the channel’s 12 new U.S. news bureaus.

Al Jazeera America will have bureaus in the following cities: Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New Orleans, New York, San Francisco, Seattle and Washington, D.C.

“It is critical for Al Jazeera America to have bureaus strategically placed throughout the U.S. so that we can cover the news from wherever it happens,” said Marcy McGinnis, Al Jazeera America’s senior vice-president, newsgathering. “We want our correspondents to report on a wide range of local, state and regional stories within the context of what it means for the rest of the country. The extraordinary team of correspondents, producers and crews we have assembled has the experience to find and report stories that will resonate with our national audience.”

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Al Jazeera America, What Will It bring To US News Reporting?

It would now appear that the Media is not ran by the Jews...who would've thought?

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I read their web site pretty regularly and find them to be relatively "fair and balanced"
. I like to get the non-American media spin on events so for that reason alone it's a positive. Will Americans watch and try to educate themselves with a different perspective? Not unless they have dance competitions with sheiks gone wild!
edit on 30-7-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Like I mentioned, I am not certain what to expect although somewhat excited. So I went off in search of some other opinions. And while I was looking I came to the realization that they have hired people from MSNBC, CNN, FOX, and CBS. So what it comes down to is will Al Jazeera allow politics as usual to occur?

Al Jazeera America Promises To Stand Out In Cable News Market, But Concerns Loom

The possibility of tapping into Al Jazeera’s global reach is a key way in which the American network could distinguish itself from Fox News and MSNBC, both of which focus more on partisan talk, and CNN, which has increasingly turned to sensational domestic events like the George Zimmerman trial.

Al Jazeera America is also investing heavily in investigative journalism. The network is building a 16-person investigative unit that could produce enterprise stories not seen on its competitors.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

A fresh perspective on events in the world should be welcome; the national networks propaganda is BS.

I usually get my news from BBC anyway.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

The only thing I can guarantee the new Al Jazeera channel will bring is an increased cable bill.

2nd

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I agree with you...it seems to me like the British press does a better job reporting on US news than our own networks do. I like the BBC and The Guardian for my news.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
al jazeera english was pretty unbiased, that and bbc, i dont know that they can go against the grain here..it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Sudden thought here... With the recent changes that reversed the Propaganda ban in the US, this couldn't be better timing. I am concerned that this ban could lead to our government increasingly holding back news "for national security". Say like when the Obama admin withheld a case of terrorism. I really do have my suspicions that many recent accidents in this country are in fact covered up terrorist acts.

Will Al Jazeera allow itself to be bullied by the US government, or will they have no choice? If Al Jazeera will have the strong investigative team that is being reported, I think things can get mighty interesting. I think we may even be seeing a lawsuit in the future between uncle Sam and Al Jazeera. Could the US eventually turn off Al Jazeeras lights at the end of our tunnel? Seeing where our country is headed, yes, I think it is very possible.

edit on 30-7-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

HEY! - My mom is a red headed black skinned jewish arab with neo - nazi beliefs and I find your comment offensive.

edit on 30-7-2013 by playernumber13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Ok are there only a handful of us that are remotely interested in this? I honestly feel that Al Jazeera has the ability to positively impact the US if it does things right. If...

I really am interested in hearing everyone else opinions on this. What was your first thought when you heard about them coming to the US?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

It will be interesting.

Hasn't Univision been claiming number one this week in the US - that's Latin/Mexican.

How do the latinos and the arabs get along? I don't know - I'm asking.

Is it just another ploy to get the americans all fighting between themselves, again?

With the propaganda ban now lifted, how is the "gov't" going to restrain all of our "news stations?"

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
Ok are there only a handful of us that are remotely interested in this? I honestly feel that Al Jazeera has the ability to positively impact the US if it does things right. If...

I really am interested in hearing everyone else opinions on this. What was your first thought when you heard about them coming to the US?

Oh yea they will impact the US sure sure. Just like they did in Iraq when they encouraged every nut with a bomb and a camera to blow up american troops.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Al Jazeera at one time maybe did provide an unbiased view from the other side of the fence, until that is, it was bought by qatari sources! They even had staff walk out at the new control they are under, having to follow new "guidelines" in their reporting to follow western dictated viewpoints.

There is no way the old Al Jazeera would have been allowed to operate in the US.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
AL Jazeera is a breath of fresh air...

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

Originally posted by elouina

Oh yea they will impact the US sure sure. Just like they did in Iraq when they encouraged every nut with a bomb and a camera to blow up american troops.

Really? I wasn't aware of this. Can you point me to more information on this, since I would be interested in reading about it. Like I said, I am not overly familiar with Al Jazeera.
edit on 31-7-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Al Jazeera at one time maybe did provide an unbiased view from the other side of the fence, until that is, it was bought by qatari sources! They even had staff walk out at the new control they are under, having to follow new "guidelines" in their reporting to follow western dictated viewpoints.

There is no way the old Al Jazeera would have been allowed to operate in the US.

Allowed? Sorry you must have the US confused with another country,

This could be an opportunity to get a fresh start here. They say that they will be using a format different than those used in the US today.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy

I have listened to a good deal of news from abroad on Short Wave. Little of it even approaches anything impressive. They all get their international news from the same place it seems like. I mean the whole lot whatever the country.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Al Jazeera America, What Will It bring To US News Reporting?,

Most likely it'll bring the same thing that every other 'news' agency on the planet brings .... agenda and bias and spin. ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, BBC, FARS, HAARETZ, PRAVDA, .... WHATEVER. They all have agenda and bias (the BBC even proudly admits it!!) ... no reason to think Al Jazeera will be any different.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
It will bring back what our media outlets take overseas
Propogandas with a twist.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join