It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

religion...and the gullible...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Oh look! Yet another faith bashing thread; I haven't seen one of these before!

Seriously, threads like this are no better than threads that people post in order to 'convert' others to a particular belief system.

You're just proselytizing in reverse.

Live your life as you see fit OP, and don't worry so much about what other people believe.
edit on 7/31/2013 by ProfessorChaos because: typo

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by punk316

This isn't necessarily true. I believe in a creator, but I don't believe just about "anything".

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by punk316
I have a basic question to religious believers...

Why is it you believe in something so unbelievable?

You mean counter to just ~POOF~ We exist?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

There are parts in various bibles that have good values...but for the most part there full of stories...just made up stories...

That's your opinion.

You didn't live through those days, so how can you know they are "just made up stories"?

What may be make believe to you is very real to others.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I'll play, jigger

Is it really a wild assumption? Ask a believer in a god if they also believe in miracles, angels, an afterlife, demons, demonic possessions, exorcisms, a divine plan, that the universe was created just for mankind...

Let's see.

Miracles - yep
Angels - meh, kinda, kinda not
Afterlife - yep
Demons - nope
Demonic possessions - nope
Exorcisms - nope
A Divine Plan - yep
Universe created just for mankind - nope

Guess that having a belief in God doesn't mean that one will believe in anything.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Those that believe in a creator with no base in fact only faith..will believe anything!

Not true... I dont believe in we were all created from the big bang. That's too far fetched for me.

I dont know if I believe in UFOs, Ghosts, or Psychics.

You have to do better than that.

You're basing this whole thread and everything about those majority of the people on this planet, on how YOU perceive them. Believers outnumber you a great deal. So how can you say that you're right and they're wrong?

If 99.9% of the worlds population believes I'm typing in red, and you, the 0.1% says it's blue... who's right? Is it possible you could be color blind? If you say no, then surely the 99.9% must be... right? Is there a 3rd possibility, perhaps? What's the chance?

Why couldn't you be more constructive with this post instead of downright putting down others, when you're obviously the worlds minority? That's aweful hateful of you. Goes to show how the other foot wears the shoe.

...this is why I raise an eyebrow when people say Christians are repulsive and hateful.

edit on 31-7-2013 by theRhenn because: (Spelling)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by punk316

That's an easy question.
Because it takes less brain cycles to process life's inputs. Brain cycles are more valuable to some than others.
A key characteristic of religion is that it's unprovable and thus can't be disproved.
And best of all, other people do it! That appeals to the tribal instinct.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

The people that wrote the "gospels" didn't live through those days either. They were written 100-400 years after the referenced events took place.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Speaking as a former Christian, I believed because at the time, the alternative was too dreadful to think of. My perception of the afterlife was limited to hell or nonexistence. Plus, the experience gave me a lot of emotional comfort in the meantime. That combination of Pascal's Wager and the idea of a heavenly father took precedence. The rest required a simple suspension of disbelief and a dose of cognitive dissonance. Near the end, I clung to quite a few apologetics websites, so afraid was I of 'falling away'...

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by InverseLookingGlass

The people that wrote the "gospels" didn't live through those days either. They were written 100-400 years after the referenced events took place.

No they weren't. Historical evidence is that all of the books of the New Testament were written within the lifetime of the Apostles, who were contemporaneous with Christ. The last one, the Gospel of John was written at the end of the First Century.

There is zero evidence that any of them were written 100 years after Christ, never mind 400 years, which is ludicrous.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by InverseLookingGlass

Perhaps,. but it was much closer than 2k years. Dont forget about OT

I'm going to go more with adjensen on this though. He's pretty knowledgeable in general and has a pretty level head on such issues. I find his response more believable..

edit on 31-7-2013 by theRhenn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I have a basic question to religious believers...

Why is it you believe in something so unbelievable?

Because they are in denial and don't want to face the fact that their lives are insignificant.

Ok without being mean I think it's because they are brought up that way, usually comes from their parents.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

Live your life as you see fit OP, and don't worry so much about what other people believe.

We have to worry about it when it effects everyday of our lives. Were surrounded by crazy people who believe in nonsense. Should put them all in mental institutions. The church has a say in politics more than anyone realizes, now to think that a bunch of crazy nuts are running the world just scares the hell out of me.
edit on 31-7-2013 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
reply to post by jiggerj

I'll play, jigger

Is it really a wild assumption? Ask a believer in a god if they also believe in miracles, angels, an afterlife, demons, demonic possessions, exorcisms, a divine plan, that the universe was created just for mankind...

Let's see.

Miracles - yep
Angels - meh, kinda, kinda not
Afterlife - yep
Demons - nope
Demonic possessions - nope
Exorcisms - nope
A Divine Plan - yep
Universe created just for mankind - nope

Guess that having a belief in God doesn't mean that one will believe in anything.

What are you focusing on? If it's the wild assumption part, then you believing in three of the things on that list doesn't make it a wild assumption.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by punk316

I guess we could sum this up with just as short an answer as your op. Because nothing is something.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

What are you focusing on? If it's the wild assumption part, then you believing in three of the things on that list doesn't make it a wild assumption.

No, the assumption that someone who believes in something that other people find hard to believe means that they believe in everything that others find hard to believe. I have legitimate (to me) reasons for believing the things that I believe, and I have legitimate (to me) reasons not to believe in other things. It's called "discernment"

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

No, the assumption that someone who believes in something that other people find hard to believe means that they believe in everything that others find hard to believe. I have legitimate (to me) reasons for believing the things that I believe, and I have legitimate (to me) reasons not to believe in other things. It's called "discernment"

That's a different discussion. If you want to call it discernment, have at it.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

Ah. I see. Do you mind if I pick your brain?

How do you know you are a thinking being? Just curious how your epistemology works.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

How would those morals work? I find your statement interesting.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
OP,

While I enjoy great debate over religion, as I am not a religious person at all, your OP says nothing, and offers nothing to debate.

What is your premise? What is the evidence against the religious? What is your evidence to support your non-belief?

These answers should have been included in this OP, because otherwise, you are asking a very broad question and providing no premise to your stance on this issue.

I could totally play Devil's Advocate and show you what I mean...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join