It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fleeing the UK/USA after SHTF

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Great ideas Dru.
As for myself, I saw enough of the ocean while in the navy.
I figure I will sit tight, all ready set for a year or two, then venture into a near by city to find what is left.
By then most of the "riff-raff" should have killed each other off.
If this is not viable, I can slip back out and live out life where I am.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I'll steal a Boat and bob in and around Scotland's many inlets until The Fan has been cleansed of the brown stuff.
if this plan is not an option i will just sit tight and eat my neighbours one by one, starting with Fatty next door.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Link is flagged as a dangerous site by my av. Anybody else getting that?

This website can transmit malicious software or has been involved in online scams or fraud.

edit on 31-7-2013 by IvanAstikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Some good replies in this thread...I am one of the lucky ones in that we have two homes seperated by about 14584 KM...If it is bad in one place for whatever reason I will go to the other home...If it is a world event I will probably hunker down in place or if really super bad steal an airplane or boat an try and go where we can survive..Hopefully that will never have to be tried for a plan...

Boats and the ocean....Sounds romantic until you actually get off shore; then you realize just how big and mean the ocean can be....At one time I actually thought about retiring and sailing the world....A few weather fronts and rough seas made me decide.... I will fly it is much safer....hahahah Although as said, a well provisioned 40 ft sail boat would keep you in beans for a few months.... or until someone boarded you in the dead of night just to see what you have they may want. Pirates are alive and well today and I doubt it would be better after a true SHTF situation. Sleep might never be peaceful again...if you are alone....

I had training in survival and it is fun and games for the first few days but it gets really old after that.....especially if the weather takes a turn for the worse...Heat and cold kills and 100 degrees with 80% humidity or freezing temps will eat your will about as fast as anything..Just depends on how well you are prepared both physically and mentally for the challenges you will be faced with.....I would not want to try and live off the land in America simply because much of the land would belong to someone else who might jealously be protecting their assets as I would in their situation.

I would not worry about starvation if overseas due to our community of farmers and relatives plus our own small farming efforts.. In the states I would worry more in a true SHTF scenario due do water and food not to mention the possible rabble who would make life unpleasant for anyone who had something they wanted. Will some communities join together...no doubt but for how long will that work without food and water for the community..The country folk stand a much better chance IMO because they are used to roughing it when they have to and many old farmers stick together and help each other already in my experience.....It really does depend on the location you find yourself when and if it happens....

He had good survival skills, tools, beautiful place, not too hot, not too cold, and he lasted 50 days...Physically and mentally broken...and he knew someone could come and get him......

I am not saying it can not be done, just saying it will not be anything most of this generation is prepared for and the outcome will not be anything I want to see on a close and personal basis.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I have a great place, but if I tell you it won't be a secret

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mandrakerealmz
New Zealand up in the mountains near ish to a major city. No where else I'd rather be

Ummm earthquakes? Volcanos?

edit on 31-7-2013 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soloprotocol
I'll steal a Boat and bob in and around Scotland's many inlets until The Fan has been cleansed of the brown stuff.
if this plan is not an option i will just sit tight and eat my neighbours one by one, starting with Fatty next door.

I'm going to start with the neighbour's 5 cats.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I had training in survival and it is fun and games for the first few days but it gets really old after that.....especially if the weather takes a turn for the worse...Heat and cold kills and 100 degrees with 80% humidity or freezing temps will eat your will about as fast as anything..Just depends on how well you are prepared both physically and mentally for the challenges you will be faced with.....I would not want to try and live off the land in America simply because much of the land would belong to someone else who might jealously be protecting their assets as I would in their situation.

Was raised by my Native American grandfather, joined the Navy and when through BUDS training.
I thought Viet Nam was a church social. Except for the shots being fired "at" me!
To live off the land, all you need is incentive and practice.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Personally, I plan to shelter in place. Then as needed pick up and go else where should the need arise. Bugging out to another nation is all well and good in theory; but if you can not speak or understand the language there, you are compounding your problems.

Then there is the whole 'home turf' advantage.
I know the lay of the land, where to find water and food.

Though frankly, civil unrest, much less ecological/radiation hazards are not likely to cause a threat to me. Sure there might be some looting, but that'd be more likely to have an impact on malls, the downtown stores and big box branches. Once those have been carried off, things would fall quickly back to normal hazards.

The largest TSFH event for my area, would be biological in nature, eg the pandemic sort of thing.
Of which the best thing to do, would be shelter in place and avoid contact with outsiders until it runs its course. Secondary hazards after that would require the necessity of burning the dead, avoiding cholera and the like.

Personally, I think the most likely TSHF will be pandemic in nature.

Either naturally occurring or some sort of terror attack. IIRC some woman in England was found to have contracted Anthrax via contaminated heroin.... and it'd not surprise me to see it or something really contagious brought in via cocain or some other drug.

But well, the birds are doing a fine job of weaponizing the various H*n* flu variants, too.

M.

edit on 31-7-2013 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by teamcommander

Was raised by my Native American grandfather, joined the Navy and when through BUDS training.

Salute! First tour was with C company 227 1st Cav... rude crude and highly unsophisticated,but we always got the job done.

I don't know about you but I am out of practice for extended stays in the muck; also 43 years makes a difference in physical stamina..err for me anyway..It is getting harder and harder to walk 18 holes of Golf and some days it ain't worth it; especially in heat and humidity .

43 years ago I could play tennis for 5 hours and still go dancing in the evening come home and please the wife and do it all over the next day. Those days are long gone except for the pleasing the wife thing; she seems happy so I will go with that!......

Also as I said in my earlier thread, Climate and geographical area for me are a big deal when it comes to procuring food and water. I am not big on fish to begin with so I can only imagine...My wife knows what wild plants and bugs (how to prepare) that can be eaten but I am not real big on bugs either...guess I would learn or perish....Not something I want to happen, that is for sure...When I was young and maybe stupid in my case I would have said bring it on....ahhhh the perils of being young and full of testosterone.

The video I posted should be something those who think it will be easy should view IMO. His skills and equipment were well thought out in the prep department and he lasted 50 days.... He lost mucho weight to the point his mental facilities were sorely affected.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well there is Prudhoe Bay, which is major. However the illumination from that area would make the
project Many times larger that google maps would present.
Check it out for yourself .
Take 2 and call me in the morning.

Link to BASIC info : en.wikipedia.org...

P.S. To The O.P. I Like it here just fine.

edit on 31-7-2013 by Wildmanimal because: Add Content

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Returned salute.
You are right about time taking a toll. Tried to keep in shape but am down to @75% preformance after 46 years. Resigned commission after I found I was "enjoying" some things a little too much.
Like I said the main things about living off the land are incentive and practice. Of course, It doesn't hurt to know what your doing and what you can eat.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
reply to post by punk316

Top 10 Best Countries to Live in 2013

Why wait for SHTF?
Leave before then so you can beat the rush.

If you don't like where you are; MOVE. You're not a tree.

I agree with this. Now, or else if the SHTF, stay where you are, hunker down n at some point if for some reason you need to get out of there, like you could end up in a fema camp as they're breaking down doors, or it's not safe to be there anymore like a spreading fire, or whatever, at that point leave. But try and avoid the maddening rush. The only draw back though I guess is if you wait too long and you're in a major city and they turn it into a big prison camp then you'd be stuck. As far as getting out, well you can't get out after the shtf. If your'e in the US you could sneak into canada or mexica that's about it.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skorpy
reply to post by saltdog

Its called a paper back road atlas, no GPS needed. Old cars that don't rely on chips etc.
Most people stay where they are, because their family is close. Once a SHTF happens the country folk will go deeper into the country and start to live off the land. Outhouses, stream water/ rain barrels.
The people that only know the city life, better not step up to the challenge of living in the country they will just die in the long run. They are better off in the FEMA camps.

Farmers/cowboys rednecks/hillbillies and survivalist would be the ones that could survive SHTF scenerio. City people will just wither away.

Ok a road atlas...for ocean travel...ok.
Country folk will go deeper into the country? How is that? there land, animals and lives are right where they are.
I know many people that are living in the city working, that are better equipped to survive than some in the country, where do you think younger country folk go to make a living when they first start out? where do they go to college and get degree's?
My point being ..is that your making a statement that is not true at all...about city people and your assuming things about country folk...some of what your saying might be true, but for the most part..where I am from, people would not go deeper in the woods and the "city people" are not stupid...

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I think you have hit the nail on the head with about getting on a boat....I've looked into local small islands near the UK.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

I'm not near a fault line and cant do much against super calderas.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by punk316
Where would you head to if society goes to the wall??

An island?? The mountains....

It's funny you say that because my city is literally surrounded by both

I would have no choice but to pick one or the other if SHTF. At least that's nice.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

Yeah I think you`re right most countries will probably close their borders and turn back anyone who tries to get in.
I have no doubt that many of the states in the U.S. will have road blocks and will be turning back all those millions of people who think they will be heading for the hills in another state.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I would carry "light weight" items and only travel during the night. I would not run for the hills or go to places where I know majority will run to because where there are masses, there is trouble. Be humble and pray to God. Always rely on the Holy Spirit to guide my every move. Avoid major roads and leave no tracks, mistrust people I do not know, have something for protection, and always have plan (B), (C), (D), etc.
edit on 8-8-2013 by sunburst because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I have been thinking about this for some time because of the way the UK's is getting more and more less like the country I grew up in.

I meander between really fancing going to Russia because you have the hot and the cold whereas I am use to the grey mediocre weather - so the opportunities are there, except for learning the language. However, if TSHTF I expect we will only be talking so not much writing, I can possibly manage that.

Also I am thinking of some of the islands in the Med, ever mind off the UK it'l still be grey.

I am also looking at more self sufficiency because I am so sick of the financial exploitation and think once one can establish a small holding somewhere and with reasonable weather etc a family could do OK, people did for considerably longer than we have had what some of us use to regard as, "You never had it so good" life style.

The original thread didn't mention loosing or keeping our technology so in one way I wouldn't mind, providing I had my books and a good library to loosing our current 'watching-you, watching us and back at you technology. Its the kitchen gadgets I would really miss, not the tv cos its mostly repeats.

I do know the urge to leave is getting stronger, but I also know that many people are struggling to get into the UK, I just wonder how, when they have lived here for a while, they will think the effort was worth it - especially with the grey.

I do worry that Monsanto will have messed everything up for everyone and we all could starve to death if we can't maintain food production from year to year.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join