It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D.C. Council votes to Force Walmart to pay "living wage"--50% over minimum wage.

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Garkiniss

Originally posted by Bearack

However, there are some small companies that do this and much worse. Example here!

I don't understand why people think, just because I'm trashing Walmart's business practices, that I'm condoning everyone else's. This thread is about Walmart.

Because you're attacking one business when there are ample others with much worse records than Wally World.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by Garkiniss

Oh, so Walmart controls the Company Roadlink Workforce Solutions???
Or, Walmart owns the company??

The company is under Wal-Mart's employee. As long as Wal-Mart is paying them, their behaviour reflects on the company. If I hire a contractor to work on my house and he shows up wearing a KKK hood, upsetting my neighbors, I'm just as responsible because I hired the @$$hole.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

You didn't answer my direct question.

Does WalMart own or run the Contractor Company??? Yes or no.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Oh, so Walmart controls the Company Roadlink Workforce Solutions???
Or, Walmart owns the company??

The company is under Wal-Mart's employee. As long as Wal-Mart is paying them, their behaviour reflects on the company. If I hire a contractor to work on my house and he shows up wearing a KKK hood, upsetting my neighbors, I'm just as responsible because I hired the @$$hole.

The work is bid out. They provide a pricing and depending on the RFP presented to the contractor, the contractor is a 100% liable for their own employees and cost. I've done several RFP's and understand where are clients stand regarding how we pay or treat our employee. They have absolutely 0 control on this but could chose not to accept our new bid once our 3 year contract is up. Until then, they are bound by contract as we are to their agreed upon pricing. Granted, there are breach clauses but generally that has very little to do with infrastructure or employees.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Walmart wasn't an invention of the government. It was an entrepreneur that took a risk on with a different business model that was brilliant. Most companies that become Fortune 500 companies were from entrepreneurs that took the risk, put the hours in to make it work and became successful.

And now they've resulted to abuse to maintain their position as numero uno. Where does it stop? They're already responsible for much of the poverty in this nation, as well as adding to tax expenses. They're not just unethical to their workers by not paying them a living wage, but they're costing states 10s of millions every year in tax dollars.

And by the way, EVERYONE has the same ability as Sam Walton or Bill Gates or Oprah Winfrey to become a multi billionaire. It takes risk, failure, blood and sweat. Most people chose to live a less stressful life an receive a consistent check. I don't begrudge them either as being an entrepreneur takes allot out of a person and their family.

Wrong. Not everyone has friends able to loan them 20-40 thousand dollars in upstart. Sam didn't earn his way, he borrowed his way, and these days it's harder than ever. Banks are much more frugal than they used to be.

I was once one. I owned my first business when I was 19. Sold it when I turned 25 as I wanted to be able to spend more time with my wife an new baby daughter (some 15 years ago).

15 years ago we had a booming economy. Sure it was sitting on a doomed balloon, but it was much much easier back then. You can't deny that.

Even those people whom chose to remain with Walmart have opportunities to remain with the company and grow within and make a good living doing it. My friends daughter works at Sam's as a lead Cashier and she earns approximately 25K annually and is only 19.

25k is just at the living wage. Anything less is considered below the poverty line.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

You didn't answer my direct question.

Does WalMart own or run the Contractor Company??? Yes or no.

I did answer your question. The contractors are under Walmart's employee. Walmart pays them.
Next time maybe they'll choose a higher bid for a better result.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Oh my gawd. Who rights, creates and enforces the laws??? The buck stops with those elected officials. If they allow Walmart, or GE, or Soros to influence what they do, it is the fault of the elected official.

If you think corporations and bankers aren't dictating the direction this country is going in to, then you're more naive than I thought.

You have got to be kidding me.
Raised wage always means a raise in prices to the consumer.
A raise in price leads to a drop in sales.
A drop in sales means cutbacks and layoffs.

Then how come workers in the 60s were earning nearly double what they are today, while businesses were earning less? This isn't economics. This is theft.

Yeah, really good for the "little guy".
Your Progressive colored view of the world screams hipster to me. All I envision is a 30 something, wearing skinny jeans, sitting at the local Starbucks, playing on an Apple product, complaining how the world is so unfair.

Well, you got one thing right. I am complaining about how unfair this nonsense is.

Wait, what???? A living wage will lower taxes???? No you are just being willfully ignorant.

One important issue that has been brought about due to the nation-wide spread of Wal-Mart stores – the effect Wal-Mart has on local taxpayers. Studies have shown that a large number of number of Wal-Mart associates qualify for Medicaid and other types of subsidized public care, at the expense of taxpayers. An example of this is the state of Ohio where, in 2009, in excess of $44.8 million in taxes was paid out specifically due to this phenomenon

Link

So, your standards are that. Others are more, or less. Who are you to push yours on everyone else.

You claimed I was jealous. I showed I was not. I never imposed anything.

And 0bama is the leader (That just made me want to vomit saying that). He is in charge.

edit on 2-8-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

No, no you didn't.
It is a direct, yes or no question.

Does Walmart own the contractor? Yes or no.

Does Walmart control the company? Yes or no.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

If you think corporations and bankers aren't dictating the direction this company is going in to, then you're more naive than I thought.

Good hell. I never stated such things.
The elected officials chose to either allow to be influenced, or not.

Then how come workers in the 60s were earning nearly double what they are today, while businesses were earning less? This isn't economics. This is theft.

Oh, geez...Maybe, I don't know, that there wasn't the amount of Govt intrusion, more people were faith bound and the family was not divided.

Well, you got one thing right. I am complaining about how unfair this nonsense is.

The battle cry of the Progressive.
Yes, it is very very unfair that someone built a company, and is reaping the benefits of such an endeavor.

One important issue that has been brought about due to the nation-wide spread of Wal-Mart stores – the effect Wal-Mart has on local taxpayers. Studies have shown that a large number of number of Wal-Mart associates qualify for Medicaid and other types of subsidized public care, at the expense of taxpayers. An example of this is the state of Ohio where, in 2009, in excess of $44.8 million in taxes was paid out specifically due to this phenomenon

Link

And that means what??? They are following the law.
If they broke the law, then show me and we will discuss.
Looks like they are doing what is needed to hold onto that 3.5% profit margin.

You claimed I was jealous. I showed I was not. I never imposed anything.

Yes, it is very apparent that you are.
Jealousy comes in many flavors.
Your flavor, is that of it's not fair.

Laugh all you want. As, it is the truth.

edit on 2-8-2013 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Walmart wasn't an invention of the government. It was an entrepreneur that took a risk on with a different business model that was brilliant. Most companies that become Fortune 500 companies were from entrepreneurs that took the risk, put the hours in to make it work and became successful.

And now they've resulted to abuse to maintain their position as numero uno. Where does it stop? They're already responsible for much of the poverty in this nation, as well as adding to tax expenses. They're not just unethical to their workers by not paying them a living wage, but they're costing states 10s of millions every year in tax dollars.

If they are breaking laws then they should be brought to court. If they are not breaking laws and your pissed about their business practice, then the best thing to do is quit supporting their business practice. Enough people stopping shopping there will force them to reevaluate.

And by the way, EVERYONE has the same ability as Sam Walton or Bill Gates or Oprah Winfrey to become a multi billionaire. It takes risk, failure, blood and sweat. Most people chose to live a less stressful life an receive a consistent check. I don't begrudge them either as being an entrepreneur takes allot out of a person and their family.

Wrong. Not everyone has friends able to loan them 20-40 thousand dollars in upstart. Sam didn't earn his way, he borrowed his way, and these days it's harder than ever. Banks are much more frugal than they used to be.

Balderdash! Banks are frugal but they make money from lending money. Not hording it. Plus there are investors more than willing to take a risk on good idea's. My primary loan did come from a bank but my loan to sustain my company came from an investor. I needed to expand to get my company to the next level. I presented it to an investor with the idea and potential earnings and he gave me the money at a mere 4% interest. Research is everyone's friend. I spent allot of time at the library at the time as I didn't have a computer when I first started.

I was once one. I owned my first business when I was 19. Sold it when I turned 25 as I wanted to be able to spend more time with my wife an new baby daughter (some 15 years ago).

15 years ago we had a booming economy. Sure it was sitting on a doomed balloon, but it was much much easier back then. You can't deny that.

We were just going into the dot com bubble when my business hit it's highs so no, the economy wasn't booming at the time.

Even those people whom chose to remain with Walmart have opportunities to remain with the company and grow within and make a good living doing it. My friends daughter works at Sam's as a lead Cashier and she earns approximately 25K annually and is only 19.

25k is just at the living wage. Anything less is considered below the poverty line.

She was 19. More than adequate for an ambitious young lady. If a 19 year old can earn this, why can't a 25 or 30 year old? If they can't work as diligently as a 19 at the bare minimum, what makes you think they diserve more than this ambitious young lady?
edit on 2-8-2013 by Bearack because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-8-2013 by Bearack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MuzzleBreak

From solar flares to earthquakes preppers are gearing up for the end times. What I find funny is this living wage idea is actually more dangerous then all of the other forces combined.

Mark my words preppers if the lowest wage earners finally wake up to this grand scam we are all in BIG trouble. It will crash the system. I have seen this coming for years and have made several posts saying the lowest wage earners are about to be put out of the system because of inflation and low wages.

Truth be told you can not live a very good life on anything less then 14 dollars an hour. As time passes and prices continue to go up they will not be able to survive.

If I was TPTB this would be my first priority to fix.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

The elected officials chose to either allow to be influenced, or not.

The money/gifts they accept do.

Oh, geez...Maybe, I don't know, that there wasn't the amount of Govt intrusion, more people were faith bound and the family was not divided.

Are you seriously trying to inject "faith" into this discussion? News flash, Walter Cronkite, Christians get divorced more often than any other religion (or lack thereof), and another think. The moral compass of this world was not founded on Christian faith.

The battle cry of the Progressive.
Yes, it is very very unfair that someone built a company, and is reaping the benefits of such an endeavor.

The battle cry of the conservative. "People should accept slave wages that keep them in servitude of their employers, and not only that, they should shut up and be happy about it."

And that means what??? They are following the law.
If they broke the law, then show me and we will discuss.
Looks like they are doing what is needed to hold onto that 3.5% profit margin.

Then don't complain about people living on Government assist. Don't gripe about them raising your taxes.
Remember, it isn't their fault they don't earn a living wage. Companies should be allowed to pay what ever they want, right?

And quit saying 3.5% profit margin, like it doesn't equal $15,000,000,000.00 at the end of the year.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Because I have spent the time and energy to become a senior person in my career field. That is why.
I have more working knowledge and experience then the low skilled worker.
I took 4 years to learn my trade, and have continued to progress in it, learn more and take on more responsibility.
I can't even begun to comprehend how or why someone like you, would think that a burger flipper should be making what I make. Or that the mail clerk should make what I make.
What you want, is a society that really doesn't promote or want people to work to better themselves, thus providing more for themselves. You want a world where everyone gets the same, no matter what they do.
That is maddening.

My goodness, where did you get all that from?

Never once have I said that I think a burger flipper or mail-man should be making the same money as you, not once. Not once have I said I want a society where no-one excels, nor have I said that everyone should get the same.

I have only said that I think minimum wage should be increased to where unskilled workers can get off benefits and pay their own way. But you seem to think it's ok for working people to be paid so little that the taxpayer has to top up their pay. And it should be Walmart paying this money, not the taxpayer.

No, no they don't. I don't see the whopper flopper doing 10 hours days, and then turning around to do 5 hours at a personal business and go home to a family.

In an hour of their work, they work just as hard as you do in an hour of your work. Work is still work - theirs is just different to yours.

They probably would work 10 hour days if they had the opportunity, but minimum wage earners are usually on zero-hour contracts and are lucky to get 10 hours a week at times.

There is no resentment.
If you want to make the income that I make, put forth the effort, take 4 years of your life to learn a career and go forth and be prosperous.
I want people to raise themselves up, to be better.
YOU want to just rip people like me down, to wallow in the crap with everyone else.

I have never said I want the same income as you because it isn't true, I don't want to make the same as you, sincerely.

I have never been very academic - don't get me wrong, I was bright at school but I was just not very good at exams, I don't know why (I always say qualifications don't show you're brainy, they just show you're good at exams). Also I never had an opportunity to stay on at school, my dad died when I was 9 and I was the eldest of 3, when I was 16 my mother needed me to go to work.

I certainly don't want to rip people like you down, It's just that I can't understand why you people would not want low-paid people off benefits and paying for their own living. I can't understand why people whom are successful would want to keep allowing their hard-earned taxes to top up Walmart's below-poverty wages.

You're the one who wants to keep a section of society down and wallowing in crap by defending poverty wages, thereby forcing working people to be dependent on the taxpayers to live, only to be vilified by you and your type afterwards for briefly peeping out of their life of crap, and daring to ask for help.

Oh, so you can provide proof and examples that I hate said people????

You haven't outright said it but you don't have to, your negative words reveal much. You can't disguise it and it's obvious.

Worry less about what I have, and more about what you need to do to be successful.

I don't worry what you have, not at all. I am sincere when I say I am happy that you want for nothing and are successful, and I'm glad you are happy with your materially-successful life. Personally, I don't crave money or luxuries, it isn't the be all and end all, not in my life.

I can't go out and buy a 'clever' gene to pass exams with, and that's what I need to have a chance at being successful - in this life anyway. But it's pointless worrying about not being very clever, so I don't

edit on 2-8-2013 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

If they are breaking laws then they should be brought to court. If they are not breaking laws and your pissed about their business practice, then the best thing to do is quit supporting their business practice. Enough people stopping shopping there will force them to reevaluate.

Except in some communities Wal-Mart is the only store, and even if there are stores, they can't afford to shop at them due to higher prices. It's a viscious cycle.

Balderdash! Banks are frugal but they make money from lending money. Not hording it. Plus there are investors more than willing to take a risk on good idea's. My primary loan did come from a bank but my loan to sustain my company came from an investor. I needed to expand to get my company to the next level. I presented it to an investor with the idea and potential earnings and he gave me the money at a mere 4% interest. Research is everyone's friend. I spent allot of time at the library at the time as I didn't have a computer when I first started.

Glad it worked out for you. Not everyone is so fortunate, and most are reluctant knowing that larger corporations will just wipe out their businesses anyway, costing them hard earned time and money, leaving them worse off than they started. I've seen it happen a hundred times. They can't compete so their business goes belly up.

She was 19. More than adequate for an ambitious young lady. If a 19 year old can earn this, why can't a 25 or 30 year old? If they can't work as diligently as a 19 at the bare minimum, what makes you think they diserve more than this ambitious young lady

You're right. That is enough for a fresh out of high school worker. Now try living on 20K when you've got a family to feed, a house to pay for, commuting costs, utilities, insurance, and child care. Child Care can run upwards of $10,000.00-$15,000.00 annually. There goes half of that 50-75% of that 20K.
In most communities, child care equals the cost of rent.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

The money/gifts they accept do.

Yes, so why not hold the Govt to what they are supposed to be doing, like doing the will of the people that elected them.
No, you want to go after the Companies that are following the laws.

Are you seriously trying to inject "faith" into this discussion? News flash, Walter Cronkite, Christians get divorced more often than any other religion (or lack thereof), and another think. The moral compass of this world was not founded on Christian faith.

Oh, seems that I hit a button.
I never said Christianity.
But, thanks for glossing over the statement of smaller Govt at that time as well.

The battle cry of the conservative. "People should accept slave wages that keep them in servitude of their employers, and not only that, they should shut up and be happy about it."

Nope.
More like, "If you want it, go earn it". Or how about "Stop stealing from me, to provide for others".
Not being happy about your current pay, in the normal world, leads most people (Not Progressives) to better themselves and get better jobs.

Then don't complain about people living on Government assist.

Oh, I have no problem screaming about it.
The Govt steals from me, to give to others and you are fine with it.
Someone steals from you, and you call the police.

Difference??? A person vs your omnipotent Govt.

Don't gripe about them raising your taxes.

Why shouldn't I. I have money stolen from me.

Remember, it isn't their fault they don't earn a living wage.

Yes, yes it is.
If millions of other people can earn a pay, higher then the low wage, millions more can.

Surely you don't think that these people can't achieve greatness, or are just too dumb to learn more and get a better job.

Companies should be allowed to pay what ever they want, right?

Yes. The company I work for has chosen to pay be higher then low wage.

Why you ask?
Because I have over 10 years of experience in my career field, have gone through numerous classes and tests to get the industry certifications.

And quit saying 3.5% profit margin, like it doesn't equal $15,000,000,000.00 at the end of the year.

You do realize that the amount you stated is not liquid cash into the bank.
It is paid out to share holders, owners and numerous other people and entities.

While you scream greed, you exude jealousy.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
ive read every post so far.
in the end there is still no sympathy from me. there is work that pays better out there and you dont need a degree to get the job.
i have to think they simply dont want the work or they would go after it. they want the wage just not the work attached to earning it. working at walmart or mcdonalds is as hard as they are willing to work. i firmly believe that for 90% of them.

these walmart employees could go work for a temp service that will put them in an entry level position in a manufacturing/factory setting and it will pay the same. that is a fact.
from there they can pick up skills/certifications they can take to other companies in the industry that pay more. also a fact.
even picking up a tow motor cert will help.

this industry requires a lot of effort though. people dont want to give that. i mentioned the mcdonalds guy that asked for hours and then complained when he got called in on his day off.

clear example of people wanting wages and or hours as long as it is on their terms. well things dont always work that way.
its attitudes like that that causes them to be held back.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

sounds like more tears to me
extreme temps? how hot/cold? for how long?
not knowing when you will get off?

oh boo hoo

thats me every day.
its all about their attitude.

inhale dust?

we would have to get into what ppe(if any) is available. if none, dust masks are not expensive.

you ever see anyone cry metal?
i would shower after work and a couple hours later i would be watching tv and my eye would 'leak'
it looks like i had tears of metal down my face

it was metal pushing its way out of my eyes.

sometimes when you have people that depend on you, you have to do things to provide.

wonder how hot it gets in there and for how long?

i wonder how they would do on the melt deck where you have to wear vests of ice under your flame resistant greens just to keep your body somewhat regulated.
-----------------
other jobs out there for them.

what kind of injuries?
wonder if eye and hand injuries are a daily thing? thy are where i work
i recently lost my finger... still gonna go back to work there though

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Yes, so why not hold the Govt to what they are supposed to be doing, like doing the will of the people that elected them.
No, you want to go after the Companies that are following the laws.

It's easy to follow the rules when you create them. Ask any 4 year old on the playground.
I'm holding both responsible. Corporations shouldn't be buying votes, and politians shouldn't be accepting.

I never said Christianity.

True, but the word "faith" is synonymous with Abrahamism, and considering most Conservatives are Christians, I took a guess. Though we both know I wasn't wrong.

Nope.
More like, "If you want it, go earn it". Or how about "Stop stealing from me, to provide for others".

Working ≠ Stealing. Working = Earning. Anyone working a full week at a job, no matter what rung they stand on, shouldn't make less than a living wage. Period.

Oh, I have no problem screaming about it.
The Govt steals from me, to give to others and you are fine with it.
Someone steals from you, and you call the police.

If a worker spends 30-40hrs per week working at my house and they walk away with enough to pay his bills I wouldn't consider it stealing. I'd consider it pay for a hard day's work.

Why shouldn't I. I have money stolen from me.

You're either trolling or just plain hypocritical. If you think it's fair that someone working 30-40hrs per week doesn't earn enough to live on, then you CAN NOT be mad that they ask for assistance. Corporations like Walmart create that increase in taxes.

Yes, yes it is.
If millions of other people can earn a pay, higher then the low wage, millions more can.

Not if the jobs don't exist. Not if they're shipped over seas chasing Bush's outsource tax breaks.

Surely you don't think that these people can't achieve greatness, or are just too dumb to learn more and get a better job.

People can learn more. They can apply for student loans, take an apprenticeship, learn a trade. That's if Walmart and other Corps haven't run them out of town. That's if outsourcing hasn't pushed them overseas. It still takes years to learn these trades, and there still aren't enough positions in those fields to cover 30% of the country's population. Meanwhile, people need help.

You're talking about putting a bandaid on a tumor.

edit on 2-8-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by CardiffGiant

you ever see anyone cry metal?
i would shower after work and a couple hours later i would be watching tv and my eye would 'leak'
it looks like i had tears of metal down my face

what kind of injuries?
wonder if eye and hand injuries are a daily thing? they are where i work
i recently lost my finger... still gonna go back to work there though

You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?

A Metal Working Mill ≠ A distribution warehouse

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

quality engineer at an iron foundry

no, not special. just not afraid of hard work

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join