It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D.C. Council votes to Force Walmart to pay "living wage"--50% over minimum wage.

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Garkiniss

I hope you will go after Government with the same zeal
Govt Projected to make 50B off Student Loans

According to the Congressional Budget Office's latest projections, the federal government projects a record $50-billion profit on student loans this year. Exxon/Mobil made $44.9 billion in 2012, according to published reports, making it the most profitable company in the country. And if Congress doesn't stop rates on some loans from doubling on July 1, that profit will rise more, up to an additional $21 billion, a recent report found. However, there are those who claim the projections don't accurately reflect risk taken by the government and the profits are much smaller.

Much smaller in Governmentese means "only" 34.3 BILLION if you needed translating.

And we wonder why our Country is so messed up...........

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
They will just hire less. They always have 3 lanes of cashiers and the rest empty and everyone standing in line for 30 minutes to get their stuff rang up. Hate to see them have to cut corners even more or move away or something. However, there is lots of added benefits less expensive stuff. Walmart pharmacy is probably the best around with their 4 dollar drug program. It's so low you don't even need insurance. As an example I was paying 60-80 dollars to Safeway's pharmacy switched it over and now pay 4 dollars for 30 pills. If you take one kind of pill twice a day and it's a 60 count then you would pay 8 dollars 12 dollars for 90 etc. You cannot beat that price anywhere!
edit on 31-7-2013 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Where do you get your ideas, from Atlas Shrugged?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
reply to post by seabag

Third times the charm..... no worries.

Better late than never, right?

That's what happens when you skip posts and drop in somewhere.

I stand corrected!

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKillah

You still didn't answer the question though. If Walmart already has a customer base where they are at, and they are profitable there, why add another location, which will double the cost of doing business.

Makes no sense.

I wouldn't expand in that situation.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

reply to post by Garkiniss

I hope you will go after Government with the same zeal
Govt Projected to make 50B off Student Loans

According to the Congressional Budget Office's latest projections, the federal government projects a record $50-billion profit on student loans this year. Exxon/Mobil made $44.9 billion in 2012, according to published reports, making it the most profitable company in the country. And if Congress doesn't stop rates on some loans from doubling on July 1, that profit will rise more, up to an additional $21 billion, a recent report found. However, there are those who claim the projections don't accurately reflect risk taken by the government and the profits are much smaller.

Much smaller in Governmentese means "only" 34.3 BILLION if you needed translating.

And we wonder why our Country is so messed up...........

Oh, I plan on it. I have a wife that has student loans.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

So you are a Progressive then, and believe that Govt is here to interject in all facets of life.

Nope, that is not what the Constitution states.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

It's the "NOW" generation. Gotta have it now. Can't be bothered to wait. It has been happening in all facets of our lives and now has made it to the wages people make. This generation cannot wait around, work hard, stay on the same job to make more money.....they want it NOW!

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Originally posted by benrl

Yea there's level of survival I could manage as well on minimum wage, I call that homeless or starving, because at that rate your gonna have to chose.

I edited my above post to reflect more info. That 16.000 dollar condo I bought 12 years ago could still have been paid for with minimum wage. Now it's worth 40.000 dollars. I just have to pay maintenance fees which are below 300 dollars, water and electricity included.. and no, it's not in the slums, it's in the middle of Metairie a large suburb of New Orleans not far from our lake (about 2 miles) My wife does work a minimum wage job - she buys the food and I pay the condo fees and everything else. Together we make less than 12.000 a year. I can easily see a normal couple making it on minimum wage if they know how to use the finances wisely.

It is quite obvious you have money.

You are so disconnected from what poverty is like, it makes you look silly.
Just please quit already. Some of us really do know what it is like to really struggle to make ends meet.

Im not buying your " holier than thou" attitude.

Nobody, i nean nobody naking minimum wage can afford a house, cars, computers, and especially a condo.

Pleeeeaaasseee......lol

edit on 31-7-2013 by liejunkie01 because: spelling

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Double post...sorry
edit on 31-7-2013 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I am no fan of Walmart because their products are crap, but I am also not a hypocrite.i have yet to meet a person who bitches about Walmart and does not shop there. Have you ever shopped at Walmart? If you like their model of cheap low-cost items then they have to keep their operating cost down. D not bitch and moan unless you can honestly say you have never shopped at a Walmart, or stopped shopping there because of your displeasure of the store and it's model

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
lol

25 dollars an hr for licking envelopes all day isn't even minimum wage in NOW standard.

Where were you people created?
We are surprised you have made it this far which suggests there has been help involved.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Scenario 1:
1. minimum wage employee makes 1 dollar.
2. middle class employee makes 5 dollars.
3. 1% elites makes 20 dollars.

Cost of milk : .50

Minimum wage is increased
1. minimum wage employee makes 2 dollar.
2. middle class employee makes 5 dollars.
3. 1% elites makes 30 dollars.

Cost of milk : 1

outcome:
1. minimum wage employees buying power stays the same
2. middle class employee buying power drops.
3. Poor and middle class getting closer together while upper 1% elites expand further away.

forcing or raising the minimum wage is a political game.
edit on 31-7-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tattiio
reply to post by benrl

I am no fan of Walmart because their products are crap, but I am also not a hypocrite.i have yet to meet a person who bitches about Walmart and does not shop there. Have you ever shopped at Walmart? If you like their model of cheap low-cost items then they have to keep their operating cost down. D not bitch and moan unless you can honestly say you have never shopped at a Walmart, or stopped shopping there because of your displeasure of the store and it's model

I am a big believer in voting with your wallet, I deplore walmarts business model so I don't shop there.

Id much rather go to Costco where they pay their employees well.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
reply to post by pavil

That's why I said if I had magical powers.

I wouldn't be successful at my job if the people underneath me didn't do a good job. They do a good job because they know I'll take care of them. I get better quality work, which outweighs any kind of sacrifices I have to make (which aren't much...donuts on Fridays for example).

That's a small example, but there has to be a balance between profitability and maintaining a stable working class that doesn't rely on government assistance.

Some here are suggesting a 3.5% profit is too much and suggest they cut that profit by about 25%, would you do that in your business?
edit on 31-7-2013 by pavil because: (no reason given)

I would, if it were me. In the long term, and in the larger scheme of things, I would end up with higher profits. I would be investing back into the pool of potential customers only to reap profits on them later.

I wouldn't feel right making millions knowing that people on the ground level have to apply for food stamps.

But hey, that's just me.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Reality Check

In 1960, the minimum wage was $1.00 an hour.

Here's what some basics cost in 1960:

New house: $11,700
Average monthly rent: $88
Gas: 22¢ a gallon
New car: $2,050
Health insurance for family: $75 a month

-----------compared to today--------------

In 2008, the minimum wage was $6.55 an hour.

Here are the costs today:

New house: $212,000
Average monthly rent: $1,200
Gas: $3.25 a gallon
New car: $28,400
Health insurance for family: $840 a month

The costs have increased, on these basics, by a factor of 9-18 since 1960.

Based on this data, and splitting the difference, the minimum wage should now be around $13 per hour, nearly double what it actually is.

edit on 31-7-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Hate to burst anyone's "Wealth Distribution" bubble, but you can force wage raises all you want, all that is going to happen is that companies are going to pass that cost onto........YOU the consumer. You are not going to hurt the business.

Hope you feel better.

Companies will pass along that because they don't want to alter their profit margin percentages.

As I have already said -- If I made millions quarterly, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing people at the ground level the AKA the "Ground Troops" have to rely on food stamps to get by.

But hey, I have this thing called a conscious and a moral compass. Funny, I heard people that aren't religious don't have that.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
i told myself i would only lurk but i have to post in this one. these wage discussions with walmart/mcdonalds really bother me. i dont give a damn about walmart but i want to know why the people that work there feel so entitled.
nobody is forcing them to work these low skill/entry level jobs.
if you dont make enough then get it in gear and get a better paying job and/or work 2 jobs.
does it suck? yes. sometimes you have to do it.
what about a lifestyle adjustment?
if they get a wage bump then dammit i want one too. i make good money(i think, for my area). i make $17. it affords my family of 3 a good enough(for us) life. we have some luxuries but not tons. my bills are paid.
i do a job and work in a place that people are literally afraid of around here.
i work at an iron foundry. i brought some skills to it 2.5 years ago and started out in an entry level type spot for this company. in just over a year i was making $5 more per hour than when i started. i got after it though. i took hours. didnt bitch about OT. bid on better jobs in the foundry. took classes on metalurgy they offered. lots of other things. some weeks i work 40 hours, some i work 70. nature of the beast.
some people dont believe that jobs that pay are out there. people just dont want them or are afraid of them. fact.
i see it all the time. they will bring in 5 temps on monday and on wednesday there is only 1 left. people leave their spot to go to the bathroom and high tail it out of there never to be seen again.
they are always hiring. you will not start out in one of the better positions or shifts but you will earn good money(for the area) and the potential is there to move up but you have to earn it.
is it dangerous? hell yes. march 28th i got my ring finger amputated.
is it hot? hell yes.
crazy long hours? you bet
that said, its a secure job with a company that has been in the same spot for more than 100 years and the earning potential is there. IF you want it
i just dont feel bad for the people that complain about what they make or where they work.
i guarantee you can take the average 20-40 year old male/female from walmart, pop him/her in an entry level spot at the foundry making more on their 1st day than they would after 5 years at walmart and they wouldnt last.
either too dangerous for them. too hot for them. too physical for them or any other off the hundreds of reasons.
trust me, even though people complain about only 30 hours and only $8 an hour, they might not WANT to go to something else.
would i love to make $20 an hour and only work 40 hours and only work in the a/c? of course.
thats not in the cards for me... at least not yet but i am working on it.
fact is though, i have a wife and a 1 year old and i need to provide for them.... so, i do.
that simple.

do people not realize they can not always get 40 hour, 5 day weeks on 1st shift?
ive done all but 3rd shift here. i've also put in the time and effort, minus the attitude and it has paid off.
i have put myself into a good position money wise at this job and as soon as i recover as best i can i will be right back pounding it out at the foundry...

and the lifestyle change... maybe they should think about it....
i see these budgets but things can almost always be moved around.
car payment??? why

i drive a 1987 nova. has 60k on it. i got it for $800.
can i afford a car payment? yes. dont need it though.
we have prepaid unlimited data plans with smart phones. love it.
could i afford a straight up plan with att with the new iphone 5s? sure can. dont need it

i do have a huge tv. we have a pretty damn nice house. rocking the blu ray player. have a couple computers.

i guess what i am getting at is people can/should/need to learn to handle their money and budget it.

what is important for THEM?
know what i mean

a lot of people wouldnt dream of rolling an 87 nova. its solid and runs great but it's ugly. it's a 4 door hatch back stick....serves its purpose for us though.
i got my brother a joh at the foundry. he has not been there as long and makes a bit less. he has a fiance' and an 8 month old. they rent an apartment but he is strapped for money...now why is that?
i make a bit more but i am not strapped. i have a nicer roof over my head. i have more in the bank(not a lot)
the differences i see are he ran out and grabbed up a new(used) car and is paying $250 a month. he got a few credit cards and is paying on his movado watches. he has to shop for his clothes at hollister. his 8 month old has to wear nike shoes. his fiance has to have the membership to go tanning.
those are the differences.
we get 'most' of our clothes at good will. i dont have a car payment(his car is nicer). i got my watch at k mart. my wife dont tan. my daughter wears shoes from target.
i guess this has turned into a rant as i forgot what i had originally intended to say. i just get bent out of shape about the people complaining. if you dont like walmart then go get a skill. go earn it. no tears from me

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garkiniss
Reality Check

Based on this data, and splitting the difference, the minimum wage should now be around $13 per hour, nearly double what it actually is.

edit on 31-7-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

What about the middle class should their wages be mandatory adjusted as well?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

The middle class are faring far better than the next rung down. Depending on where you live, the middle class earn 40,000 - 70,000 dollars annually. Compare that to 8,000 - 10,000, which is what the average minimum wage earner makes.
The average monthly cost of living is $2,250.00. This includes utilities, rent, car payments, health insurance (not including dental), car insurance (provided you're a perfect driver), fuel/commuting expenses (provided the job is within 6 miles of home), and food.**
That works out to $27,000 a year in expenses. See the issue?

To directly answer your question: "Should the Middle Class Earn more?"

Sure, especially considering that the modern middle class works longer work weeks for less pay than their parents or grandparents did, once you factor in inflation. About 23% less pay for 26% more work, to be exact.
In today's job market, it takes two parents working "middle class wage jobs" to earn what a single middle class worker earned back in the 60s, and in some cases they're still not earning enough.

**This is based on standard american living expenses. Many areas bear a significantly higher cost of living.

edit on 1-8-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join