It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D.C. Council votes to Force Walmart to pay "living wage"--50% over minimum wage.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKillah

Assuming that pay is relatively the same between Walmart and Target, why would Target take such a huge hit to a small profit margin, just to enter into an area, when people are already traveling x amount of distance to the already established locations.
Doesn't make sense.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaneThinking
reply to post by digital01anarchy

When going through school to get to where I am today, I lived in a sublet basement suit with 5 other students. 4 of the six had bedrooms two slept on the couches. And drew names out of a hat each month to account for the arrangement.

Food was purchased in bulk, mainly pasta and pasta sauce, luxury was a word of luxury that we did not speak, yes struggle ensued, but guess what that's life. Unless born with a silver spoon we all have to fight and claw for everything we have.

If people could understand now a days what living within there means was we'd be much better off. But alas the drones of the world feel left out without the newest gadget, or if they didn't catch some trash TV so they can join in on the workplace banter.

At that time I was working 6 days every 2 weeks due to school and studying I was getting less then the $900 you went and set as a benchmark. Did I eat well "NO", did I get things I wanted "NO" was I happy "NO"

Was it a necessary struggle "YES" because I realized that there are no handouts unless you are willing to accept them, and that you can conquer any obstacle with hard work perserverance and a boat load of street smarts thrifty shopping and being willing to demean oneself and practice humility to get to where you want to go.

Complain all you want about how awful society is, but fact check the idea it's not going to get better magically, pray all you want but the only thing I have found that works is starting from the bottom up, look at and within yourself. But never look to others or everyone for something that each person is responsible for and that's "themselves"

If a person can't pull themselves up to learn, acquire, and put to use even the menial skills to get to the next level they have no one but themselves to blame.

My opinion issued from someone who struggled, fought, sweated and bled at many a job, to see success, never once complaining that I bring nothing advanced to the table although asking for more.

I don't know your personal circumstances but one thing I do know is the employer, your neighbor, the guy on the corner they didn't put you there, and keep you there, "YOU" did!! And only those who pursue and seek better ever get it, seek to be average and normal with no ambition to go anywhere, then there you will be until an attitude of entitlement is swapped for the attitude of the common human who struggles and fights to succeed.

Unitl then I feel all who make min wage should not complain that they did not acquire a skill set that would get them more, or have that skill set and are willing to settle for something below there pay grade. But I will never advocate paying someone more money to do nothing, because in the real world, that isn't "fair" and is based on a fiat currency model of wealth. You either make it or you don't but should never expect it to be given.

SaneThinking

what about the unemployed who got laid off, LOL some of the people working at walmart probably have more skill then you even within your industry and more college as well what do you say to them? I hope you never go through that getting laid off then having to get a job at walmart and scrape by as a cashier

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I truly understand what you are stating. But, general warfare does not promote the killing, or dispatching of the foot soldier. The aim, or goal, is that of hitting upper level command, like Captains, Generals and such.
The war doesn't take a turn because a soldier is killed, but take out the command and it will go into chaos for a while.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I'm 31 and see somewhat both sides of the fence I am old enough to have gotten a good skill base in trades prior to the economic decline of 2008. I had a Carpentry ticket 3 yrs outta high school each day was hard work at 12.50/hr to begin 4 yrs later I was in the $30's. Now that is a pipe dream I understand this, times have changed.

But at the same time labour is still there but viewed as dirty and hard so people shy away, the good union shop jobs don't exist anymore the golden ticket of old I agree is gone, and it is harder, especially in the US but I just feel we have a society of youth who lack the ambition to work hard because they have grown up having everything pretty easy by standards, so the next logical step for the youth is to seek something as easy as they had it. May not be what's in alls minds but to me seems obvious when I see a young guy or a younger brother of a friend complaining they don't have enough money, you point them in the direction of a viable option and they look at you insulted, like you actually gave them an option to go and "WORK" maybe bleed and sweat to make money when the kids who's one of the Jones' is getting bye on the newly increased min to living wage, what incentive is left to understand the value of the dollar you wish to earn..

SaneThinking

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MuzzleBreak

D.C. lawmakers gave final approval Wednesday to a bill requiring some large retailers to pay their employees a 50 percent premium over the city’s minimum wage, a day after Wal-Mart warned that the law would jeopardize its plans in the city.

The retail giant had linked the future of at least three planned stores in the District to the proposal. But its ultimatum did not change any legislators’ minds. The 8 to 5 roll call matched the outcome of an earlier vote on the matter, taken before Wal-Mart’s warning.

articles.washingtonpost.com...

Forget supply and demand. Typical childish thinking from Usual Suspects. Some jobs that require little skills or knowledge simply aren't worth even minimum wage. No one should expect to be able to live independently on minimum wage jobs. Without incentive, motivation, our society will be more screwed than it is.

Whatever, think about all the businesses they're going to be saving by wal-mart having a fit having to pay their employee's their worth. Cant run a business without employee's, bite the bullet or take your evil business elsewhere. Wal-Mart wont be missed.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I was laid off in 2008 as was almost the whole of society when bad banking gambles, destroyed the construction industry and all its feeder industries, work was super hard to come bye, I ended up a swamper, loader/unloader at a cross docking facility. 1 day after my layoff I went to every construction site in town I could get too applied with the 400 or so other equally ticketed and qualified people waiting outside the front gate. after expelling all options I went bye every single business I could see where using ones body would get you paid stacking cleaning, none of them were great jobs none paid well, but being a person dead set on not being homeless and not eating I kept going day after day till I got a job. As I said as a swamper, I with my hands unpacked containers in 30 degree celcius heat outside which had to be in the 40's in the seacan, it was crap work I hated it but at the end of the day I got a check, the economy started to recover and jobs started getting listed now I had a gas station attendant job, carpenter (ticketed) and swamper as things to list skills transferable and acquired. Each something that I can glorify to advance the next position I pursued.

My point is I didn't settle I did what I could to continue to move forward, as I said I had to throw my humility out the window accept things I felt below me if I ever wanted to get back to the places I had been.

Walmart or any other "STARTING" , "TRAINING" or "BEGINNER" job should never be viewed as a career but as a starting point, to anyone who views it as such needs a serious self check about where they intend to end up. Because I am living proof as are many others that once you get the ball rolling there's no stopping unless you settle.

So in turn if hard times befall me again, then once again I will start over work hard and hopefully get myself to someplace I am proud of again. But never once will you find me settling for less, not trying to pursue more or attaining nothing and feeling entitled to a better wage cause other people are more well off..

SaneThinking

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaneThinking

My opinion issued from someone who struggled, fought, sweated and bled at many a job, to see success.......never once complaining that I bring nothing advanced to the table, although asking for more.

SaneThinking

Now that's the spirit. One big whopping star and, hopefully, applause from staff for you.

Sane Thinking For President!!

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Assuming that pay is relatively the same between Walmart and Target, why would Target take such a huge hit to a small profit margin, just to enter into an area, when people are already traveling x amount of distance to the already established locations.
Doesn't make sense.

Well, many who live in the city don't have vehicles and travel only via bus and train. Walmart is in the city. I only know of one Target and it's in a town center. Right in these areas, you're talking hundreds of thousands of customers each day. These are the people that don't travel any particular distance to go to Walmart. They walk 2 block and take the bus another 8 - 20 blocks to get to Walmart. They're not going beyond a 2 - 3 mile radius most of the time.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

Simple people, simple views.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Ooh, conflicted opinions here.
on one hand, a business should be able to do as they please regarding wages. so long as it meets minimum wage, then it is ultimately up to the worker if they want to work for such wages.

On the other hand, Walmart in specific, and to a lesser degree, all mega super center money consolidators are indeed town killers and their effects can arguably be to the extent of a national security threat (remove economic potential from a town, town loses tons of jobs, lots of welfare, drain on the system, drain on fed, programs cut, etc...)

What we are witnessing is the big giant gaping flaw in our financial oligarchy (formerly called capitalist society about 40 years ago)

So...I guess measures must be taken, or simply accept the overall trend towards financial dystopia and collapse of the whole system someday.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

Simple people, simple views.

I would say "Ignorant people, incorrect views." in regards to the guy in the video. I mean, did he seriously say that Wal-Mart's core market consist of liberals?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Whether evil or not, you can't just arbitrarily make laws that target one group or business. And that is for a good REASON..... This is a very slippery and dangerous slope to start down....

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garkiniss
I would say "Ignorant people, incorrect views." in regards to the guy in the video. I mean, did he seriously say that Wal-Mart's core market consist of liberals?

Haha yes he did, im sure he has evidence to back up his claim... Oh wait

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Whether evil or not, you can't just arbitrarily make laws that target one group or business. And that is for a good REASON..... This is a very slippery and dangerous slope to start down....

I disagree, i think governments should work for the people, not the businesses.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Wrong. When that business or group's actions are at the expense of the American economy, or worse, the American people themselves, then yeah... they need some rules to keep them in check. Both the Government and the corporation are slaves to the people, not the other way around.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

Sadly, you're probably correct. I just spent half an hour planning out all my meals until my next payday. I don't get paid bi-weekly, simply twice a month. I'm in the middle of a 17 day pay period. I'm hoping I can stretch what I have left after the bills to afford dinners/lunches. I made sure to gas up the car so I'm OK there...

It really sucks going to the grocery store and seeing the prices continue to rise, yet my pay doesn't keep up. I'm paying over $4/gal for milk, $3.50 for a dozen eggs, and over $5 for a jar of peanut butter.

If it wasn't for my gas discount, my gas would be $3.98/gal. I drive roughly 14 miles each day and a tank lasts me about two weeks.

Prices on everything continue to rise yet, my hourly wage remains fairly stagnant. The people on the top are getting their three squares and having a fine time, because the sheer amount of money they earn buffers them from the inflation. It's not stealing when they have more than they can spend.

A company's job is to generate a revenue stream. I get it, but the people running these companies shouldn't undermine the very customers and consumers that enable them to turn a profit in the first place!

I don't understand why this is so difficult to understand! In a functional economy, money moves back and forth, up and down. In our broken, greed-based system the money seems to be slow flowing only in one direction...

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Tazkven

The job creators have a responsibility to pay people a wage that KEEPS them off of government assistance PERIOD.

Show me where that responsibility is written.

I'll wait.....

Its called the Constitution of the United States of America. You should check it out, it's kind of cool.

It starts out "We the People", Not we the Corporations or We the small businesses.

It grants everyone life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, not everyone except Wal-Mart employees, not just those who make 200k a year ... Everyone.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

When I see a post like yours it always leaves me scratching my head.

Do you have kids? Are you in debt? How much do you make a month?

These questions might be a little to personal but I feel compelled to ask them. Because financial problems very greatly case by case,

I make a little more than 20K a year, and quite honestly I have everything I could possibly want/need.

I do not have any kids, I live with two roommates, I do not own a car, I have no debt other than loans from friends/family.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

I disagree, i think governments should work for the people, not the businesses.

I do too, but what's next? Do we make laws that just target Disney World, because they too are evil? Do we make a law targeting Chik Fil A because their founder is ultra-religious? The laws have to apply equally to ALL, not just singling out. Our legal system is based on establishing precedents. This sets a VERY dangerous precedent.

I'm no fan of Walmart, but I'm also no fan of government telling any business that the law is different for one group than for others.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join