It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats wrong with ATS's curse censors?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Just wondering.. I have noticed of late lots of things aren't getting censored. I don't know if it's because the built in censors are not working correctly or if these words are just not being manually censored by the Mods. For instance I have seen the word dick used in a gratuitous manner and not a proper name. The P word on the flip ( female organ) side is also used.

Most of the time it's not a problem but some people fill the posts with many of these words. Though I curse worse than a sailor at home, I don't really want or need to see this on ATS where kids can access the posts.

Just wondering what the deal is.. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I'm not a mod, so I dunno, but you could alert the mods to particular posts just to make sure it is caught.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Because the words penis and vagina aren't really bad words. and Dick, can be a proper name, and pussy might be referring to a cat?

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok
Because the words penis and vagina aren't really bad words. and Dick, can be a proper name, and pussy might be referring to a cat?

I would then think it's up to the mods to determine in what circumstance those words were used and act accordingly. ATS does have rules against trying to circumvent the censors. Penis and vagina I have no problem with if used correctly. Dick and pussy I do have a problem with if used in a derogatory manner as they are slang.
edit on 30-7-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
O chill out it not hurting anyone.

Plus any kid old enough to be on ATS will have heard in in the school yard anyway

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok

Plus any kid old enough to be on ATS will have heard in in the school yard anyway

That's a slippery slope. That's how morals get erased from society. We have seen way too much of that lately and the trouble it causes.

I guess I should ask in the ATS's staff's eyes what constitutes a curse word that is not allowed.
edit on 30-7-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Originally posted by crazyewok

That's a slippery slope. That's how morals get erased from society. We have seen way too much of that lately and the trouble it causes.

Indeed - it causes a rush of posts by fuddy-duddies complaining about how much better things were in the old days and the kids of today are allowed to get away with too much cussing!

and I'm sure damned sick of that rubbish.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Penis and vagina I have no problem with if used correctly

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
OP i agree,

I would hate it if ATS was to turn into another site (that i wont mention) where cursing runs rampant, its not that i have a problem with cursing when its used correctly rather its the amount of people who would just use it to insult others. So i dont want ATS to let us all run wild with our lose tongs.

but on saying that it would be good to have some clarification on what ATS considered to be "cursing" as what might constitute cursing for one person may not for another.

My attitude is that when i am posting i post like I am standing in Sunday mass talking to the Bishop, I think so long as I avoid deliberately insulting members and cursing i should be ok.

Yet i see your point OP, seems like ATS has been a little less strict, especially with therms like when the "SHTF" or "WTF", they might be short hand but i still read them as "what the fu....dge"

I dont think that should be allowed, it only drags down the tone of the debate.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
It's all about the context, and on a case by case basis. If you believe that a post violates our T&C, don't address it in the thread, but instead alert the post utilizing our complaint system. The mods will then determine whether it's actionable or not, and what action to take.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok

Excuse me whilst I roll down the hill laughing my fat ass off!

We should give ATS a salute for NOT censoring stuff like that... there's really no other place on the web where you can use those words in most any context without having it detained and questioned in an undisclosed location for indeterminate lengths of tome.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Reminds me of a sports forum I used to belong to. We got into a discussion about the GOAT of various positions in the NFL, and every time I tried to wax rhapsodic about my all-time favorite player, it showed up as # Butkus. Which I found amusing.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I was recently informed that God damn is not a profanity. Not sure about Jesus Christ or Jesus H. Christ as some have said it.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Do you cuss when you stub your toe?

Well, cussing is good for you, it is pain and stress relief.

Plus what's in a word?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I suppose Jesus Christ would be profane to people that believe the man was a God. on a separate note I'd like the board to stop capitalizing Jesus Christ and the word God, in my world these are not names or words worthy of being automatically uppercased.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
It's all about the context, and on a case by case basis. If you believe that a post violates our T&C, don't address it in the thread, but instead alert the post utilizing our complaint system. The mods will then determine whether it's actionable or not, and what action to take.

I rarely alert on anything.

However . . . it's beginning to look like I'm being personally stalked . . . now over 3 sites including this one and an old one about as large that I'm no longer on.

The stalker is an atheist extremely hostile to Christians and Christianity . . . and has for some mysterious reason made me his target of choice.

He frequently assaults--as in mean, harsh, personhood and character assaults of a vivid nature . . . e.g. sanity, IQ, mental health etc. and too often now, it seems lots of explicatives NOT deleted--preferably, it seems, increasingly using God etc. as curses.

On a recent, current thread his strident abusive harshness and relentless 'grabbing those on the other side by the throat' and !DEMANDING! responses to his criteria and liking--has virtually hijacked the whole thread and turned it into an abuse fest of almost his exclusive recreation.

The OP has evidently alerted on him repeatedly and still a number of harshly assaultive posts have remained.

So this sort of thing is not, imho, a small matter. The cursing is but part of it but a disturbing "DISPLEASURABLE" part of it that really drags a purported dialogue into the gutter.

And . . . while I appreciate that mods can't be everywhere . . . when there have been several alerts, it's difficult to see how and why such a vividly uncivil and harshly obnoxious poster gets away with so much.

I still am quite reluctant to turn into a whining alert presser.

I'd just as soon walk away from such a disgusting abuse and trollish hijacking of a thread. But then, the nastiness wins.

It ends up feeling like a no-win thing for those of us who hate whining and hate the ongoing abuse.

Sigh.

edit on 1/8/2013 by BO XIAN because: typos

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I would then think it's up to the mods to determine in what circumstance those words were used and act accordingly. ATS does have rules against trying to circumvent the censors. Penis and vagina I have no problem with if used correctly. Dick and pussy I do have a problem with if used in a derogatory manner as they are slang.

There are other words out there who's meaning is subjective.

A bitch is a female dog.

A Jackass is a male donkey.

When someone calls you a dick, they could be saying:

Which in my opinion would be far worse of an insult than to referencing the penis.

And if someone calls you a pussy?

It just is about perspective.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Do you whine when you hear it in real life? Word censors are pretty retarded. They're just words.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by paradox

i give people dissaproving looks when they swear in real life - it has never worked yet.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   

My my....There is a forum board over on Disney that might be more your speed...

But....don't feel bad, you are in good company with others that want to limit the speech and thoughts of others...

Congratulations....

By the way....political correct speech and thin skinned sissies are going to be the downfall of our country...words are words...they are expressions of thought...they are not good or bad....it is a small mind that judges words...the thought behind the words is all that matters.

edit on 8/1/2013 by Damian65 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join