It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

About shooting messengers - or: how Snowden gets rear cover by John F. Kennedy...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
My fellow humans across the pond, with amazement I just listened to presumably President John F. Kennedy's most important speech.

It was a speech he held before The American Newspaper Publishers Association on april 27th 1961.

John F. Kennedy's speech on that day 52 years(!) ago was EXACTLY about for what Edward Snowden possibly will face serious consequences, and Bradley Manning (and also maybe Michael Hastings...) already did.

But just see and listen for yourselves:

[...] The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and to secret proceedings. We decided long ago that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted concealment of pertinent facts far outweighed the dangers which are cited to justify it. Even today, there is little value in opposing the threat of a closed society by imitating its arbitrary restrictions. Even today, there is little value in insuring the survival of our nation if our traditions do not survive with it. And there is very grave danger that an announced need for increased security will be seized upon by those anxious to expand its meaning to the very limits of official censorship and concealment. That I do not intend to permit to the extent that it is in my control. And no official of my Administration, whether his rank is high or low, civilian or military, should interpret my words here tonight as an excuse to censor the news, to stifle dissent, to cover up our mistakes or to withhold from the press and the public the facts they deserve to know. [...]

(emphasis by me)

Here a link to the full transcript JFK's speech: www.presidency.ucsb.edu...

And here a link to full audio version: www.youtube.com...

For those with less time, a fine introduction by President Eisenhower and the essence of President John F. Kennedys speech

How dare I to remind you americans of those words?

Well... I'm from a country that already experienced not just one, but two totalitarian regimes.

Their henchmen were the the Gestapo, the SS and the Stasi, and their victims are legion.

My freedom is the direct consequence of the brave deeds of american people, and for that I owe you to remind you...

don't shoot the messenger...

edit on 30/7/13 by Peloquin because: fixing links

edit on 30/7/13 by Peloquin because: spelling

edit on 30/7/13 by Peloquin because: (no reason given)

edit on 30/7/13 by Peloquin because: link to transcript of speech replaced with a link to a site, that doesn't promote Scientology

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Yep, and look what happened to a President that thought in such ways...

People gloss over Kennedy and if you bring it up you are a conspiracy nut, I think they do that over the fear what accepting what happened to him and what it would mean about life in america.

Snowden and Manning are Heroes, they did what they though was right in the face of ridiculously powerful opposition.
edit on 30-7-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Peloquin

Snowden has prompted congressional inquiries, hearings, legal debates, proposed legislation reigning in the NSA and forced the Director of National Security to admit he lied to Congress.

He has only aided or informed the "enemy" if the US government considers US citizens the "enemy".

He is a whistleblower...but apparently the US government does not recognize that status when they themselves are involved in the illegal activity.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Peloquin

Great reminder, and something to remember forever. Totally agree with both of you. I have a difficult time comprehending how anyone can call Manning/Snowden a traitor.

I guess its because the haters are up in the pyramid, afraid of falling down... again? These sick people will cling to any lie, to what they think is protecting themselves. Nothing but selfish people. It is truely sad

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
...........................The greatness of JFK notwithstanding the OP is referring the reader to a SCIENTOLOGY WEBSITE.......

Thank you very much for the change of LINK

Sorry if I seemed overly alarmist.............
edit on 30-7-2013 by ERagerz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ERagerz

Jesus!
You're right, the site containing the transcript of JFK's speech also contains a part in wich sympathy for Scientology is expressed. But advertising for Scientology wasn't my intention, when I made this thread. I just searched a site, were the Transcript of JFK's speech could be found.

I found that transcript now on another site, so I'll replace the old link to that suspicious site with the link to a - so I hope - less controversial site.

Thanks to you for bringing it to my attention!

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peloquin
reply to post by ERagerz

Jesus!
You're right, the site containing the transcript of JFK's speech also contains a part in wich sympathy for Scientology is expressed. But advertising for Scientology wasn't my intention, when I made this thread. I just searched a site, were the Transcript of JFK's speech could be found.

I found that transcript now on another site, so I'll replace the old link to that suspicious site with the link to a - so I hope - less controversial site.

Thanks to you for bringing it to my attention!

Thank you very much for the change of LINK

Sorry if I seemed overly alarmist.............

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Everything is ok, friend, I'm thankful for your advise, because I do not like Scientology in the slightest!

Much more, I keep it like Maynard James Keenan, the singer of great american band TOOL, when he sings in the song "aenima" about "L. Ron Hubbard and his clones". I won't quote all the words he used, because that surely would earn me a "Manners & Decorum", I think.

new topics

top topics

join