It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2013 shortlist - in pictures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I found these photographs just absolutely stunning so thought that I would share

The Royal Observatory Greenwich has announced the following shortlist for the 2013 Astronomy photographer of the year -

A Flawless Point: the Milky Way arches over Yosemite Valley in California’s famous national park
Photograph: Rogelio Bernal Andreo

The Night Photographer - On the Korgfjellet Mountain in Norway, this photographer's patience was rewarded with the sight of a bright meteor streaking across the sky as it burns up high in the Earth’s atmosphere
Photograph: Tommy Eliassen

Comet Panstarrs
Photograph: Ingólfur Bjargmundsson

Eta Carinae and Her Keyhole
Photograph: Michael Sidonio

Archway to Heaven: the band of our Milky Way galaxy is the dramatic backdrop for the rock archway of Durdle Door on Dorset's Jurassic Coast
Photograph: Stephen Banks

Hunter's Moon over the Alps
Photograph: Stefano De Rosa

Orion Nebula
Photograph: Nik Szymanek

Receiving the Galactic Beam: Here, the photographer has caught the moment when the Milky Way appears to line up with the giant 64-metre dish of the radio telescope at Parkes Observatory in Australia.
Photograph: Wayne England

Photographers on the Rim of Mývatn Craters
Photograph: James Woodend

Herbig-Haro Objects in the Pelican Nebula: jets of material blast from the poles of some newborn stars. Here, these ‘Herbig-Haro objects’ can be seen emerging from the thick dust and gas clouds of the Pelican Nebula, a stellar nursery in the constellation of Cygnus
Photograph: Andre van der Hoeven

Leaning In: familiar stars and constellations form a line rising up behind this windswept tree in Dartmoor National Park in the southwest of England.
Photograph: Anna Walls

Northern Lights XXIII
Photograph: Mike Curry

Venus Transit at the Black Sea.
Photograph: Alexandru Conu

The winners will be announced on the 18th September.

To view larger images you can click here .

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Awesome pictures! Imagine if you could relax on your back and look at the stars. Imagine what's beyond our understanding in the universe.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

I imagine what it would be like to not live in a city with light pollution, so I could see the stars. would be a start for me.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
B-E-A-Utiful! Love photos like these.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Of course. I was thinking about the Sierra mountains. Awesome place to look at the stars.
Imagine if aliens were flying around. AWESOME!!!

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

That is one hell of a Short List.

They All look like winners to me.

Absolutely Stunning.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

I imagine what it would be like to not live in a city with light pollution, so I could see the stars. would be a start for me.

When my daughter came to live with us (she'd never lived in the country before), one clear night, I had her close her eyes, and come with me outside. I walked her into the backyard, away from any other lights, and then told her to open her eyes and look up.

The look on her face was absolutely priceless....

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Aw now I bet that's a moment that will stay with her forever! awesome,

When I win the lotto i'll buy a big house in the country for sure lol

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Wonderful pictures. I would so long to be in that tent right now .....Thanks for sharing.

top topics

join