It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EPA raises the acceptable pesticide levels on US crops

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
It would seem that while places like the European Union are coming to see the horrors of chemical contamination of food crops, our EPA is still so firmly in the pocket of large agriculture, they need help finding daylight again. This story, coming when it does for timing, blows me away like most others fail to.

Really? Now is the time for this finding?

Despite several recent studies linking exposure to the herbicide glyphosate with cancer, Parkinson's disease and infertility, the EPA has ruled to allow higher levels of the chemical used on farm-grown foods. Glyphosate is a weed-killing chemical developed by Monsanto and is the key ingredient in Roundup, widely used in farming in the U.S. and Europe.

Perhaps they figure a little Glyphosate is actually good for us. I recall hearing "experts" literally say that about low level radiation out of Fukushima, as a reason people shouldn't worry or pay attention. A lot hurts...while a little doesn't matter, it would seem.

For example, new allowable levels on crops such as flax and soybeans have been increased from 20 parts per million to 40 ppm. "Negative impact [of glyphosate] on the body is insidious and manifests slowly over time
Source

Yes... Slow, insidious and not particularly obvious. That describes a good many conditions among the people I know and/or love in this world, today. It describes an order of magnitude MORE conditions than I recall existing in the 80's, when I can point to the last period I'd call meaningfully different than today.

Eat up ATS! That extra zing you taste isn't nature. It's just farmers keeping you safe, even if it kills you. The EPA says they can. After all.........

The lines where Agriculture and Government meet and diverge are now so blurry, I wonder if they even exist anymore?

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
There seems to be no way the American people can stop this. With that much glycophosphate added, it is inevitable that it will contaminate the other land in the USA. Then we will all be forced to eat their GM food or starve. I feel that is the intention. If you control the food and water, everyone is a slave to you. I hate to see what the runoff will to to the streams, rivers, and lakes. Soon we will have to eat fish that have been designed to be glycophosphate resistant, the next is to make us resistant. We will all need to take a pill just to survive shortly, causing us to work half our lives just to stay normal feeling. I am not sure that that is not already happening to us. In two generations we will adapt, as long as our children survive.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Well thank god the political party that supports the environment, the working class, and takes a stand against big corporations is in power otherwise this could've been worse...............

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Let the mass culling begin! Pesticides aren't for insects...WE are the pests!

Wash your fruits and veggies well.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Really? Now is the time for this finding?

Despite several recent studies linking exposure to the herbicide glyphosate with cancer, Parkinson's disease and infertility, the EPA has ruled to allow higher levels of the chemical used on farm-grown foods. Glyphosate is a weed-killing chemical developed by Monsanto and is the key ingredient in Roundup, widely used in farming in the U.S. and Europe.

Show me even one peer reviewed epidemiological study (not a literature review) that confirms this conclusion because I can site several that state the exact opposite.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Granted I didn't look very hard but here's a MIT study Submitted in Jan 2013, peer reviewed and published in Apr 2013. Glyphosate’s Suppression of Cytochrome P450 Enzymes and Amino Acid Biosynthesis by the Gut Microbiome: Pathways to Modern Diseases

Here is what the EPA has to say about safe levels of it and it's long term effects Technical Factsheet on: GLYPHOSAT E

Maybe it's harmful, maybe it is harmless. The question everyone should be asking is WHY were the levels raised and for what reason?

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Theres information floating around as to the true purpose of the EPA, which was not about "protecting" anyone.

I'm unable to find it at the moment, but the creation of this agency had more to do with eminent domain and further empowering the government to seize private property.

In a landmark case, the citizen came out on top (for now), Supreme Court sides with Idaho property owners over EPA.

These agencies are not there to help us. They are there to serve big business or to increase the power of government into our lives.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
reply to post by SirMike

Granted I didn't look very hard but here's a MIT study Submitted in Jan 2013, peer reviewed and published in Apr 2013. Glyphosate’s Suppression of Cytochrome P450 Enzymes and Amino Acid Biosynthesis by the Gut Microbiome: Pathways to Modern Diseases

That was a literature review, not an epidemiological study. Secondly, this journal, "Entropy", has a very small editorial review group that looks for major errors and does not inlcude experts, or peers, in the relevant fields.

Here is what the EPA has to say about safe levels of it and it's long term effects Technical Factsheet on: GLYPHOSAT E

Maybe it's harmful, maybe it is harmless. The question everyone should be asking is WHY were the levels raised and for what reason?

The exposure limits were increased based off of testing and the conclusion that higher occupational exposure limits don't pose additional risk.

Read the rationale for the decision yourself.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantasm
Let the mass culling begin! Pesticides aren't for insects...WE are the pests!

Wash your fruits and veggies well.

Unfortunately many of these pesticides they use are systemic, even though they may say that they are not.

All systemic means for those who dont know is that the poison infiltrates the plant throughout its entire body, and kills the stuff eating it without directly harming the plant itself.

However those poisons are put into the fruits of those plants as well, through its circulatory system equivalent.

Theyll tell you they are "safe".

I wouldnt believe them.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Would you call these actions chemical warfare on the populace? Is it terroristic in nature? I'd say yes.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Great, looks like they are going for the kill shot on the honeybees?...

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Yes... Slow, insidious and not particularly obvious.

Yes, the words of an "independent scientist and consultant". Seems to be more of an op-ed than a research paper and cites a lot of other bad science. Sort of funny that the source of for article linked in your OP calls it an "MIT study". I guess that's because the other author works in the computer science department at MIT. I wonder if the school knows about her sideline.
www.mdpi.com...

edit on 7/30/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

You're absolutely right about systemic impacts of the toxins dumped across the food crops. The washing at home isn't to get this stuff off, as it seems some may think. I can say without question after years of hauling produce and standing there in the produce shed, watching it all prep'ed from many crops, it's all washed. It's all VERY washed. At least once and sometimes a few times. It's not simply because clean is a good idea, but because a little dirt on each berry or carrot....across 20+ pallets with hundreds/thousands of bags would cost money by taking weight they need product to fill. lol.... All very logical and believable for why it's done when looked at that way.

....and surface washing doesn't do much with plants being doused in this stuff through their growing cycle. There just doesn't seem much safe to eat at all anymore, unless you grow it or kill it personally or know who did.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Great, looks like they are going for the kill shot on the honeybees?...

What does this have to do with honeybees?

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

What does this have to do with honeybees?

And when did you become a moderator?

Seriously dude! Keep on promoting ONLY any scientific studies promoted by the government, while disregarding those studies buy those whom are not bought and payed for!!

Your goal seems apparent, in that you are always supporting the likes of the Corporations whom are poisoning our environment, while coming on ATS to put up your short slams to try to discredit those whom are trying to tell the truth.......

But hey dude, I am not you! Not sure how much money you make from the government, but I sure hope it is worth it!

Bottom line, we have a global government promoting a "GREEN" agenda, please explain to me and all the other members of ATS how spraying MORE poison is good for ANYONE!?

edit on 30-7-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-7-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

And when did you become a moderator?
What does my question have to do with moderating?

Keep on promoting ONLY any scientific studies promoted by the government, while disregarding those studies buy those whom are not bought and payed for!!
I will continue to point out both good and bad science because there are few on this site who bother to do so. It doesn't matter what the source of either one is as far as I'm concerned.

Your goal seems apparent, in that you are always supporting the likes of the Corporations whom are poisoning our environment, while coming on ATS to put up your short slams to try to discredit those whom are trying to tell the trut
No. I'm not supporting corporations. I'm pointing out erroneous information and bad science. It's not my fault that those who are against...everything... have to resort to lies and bad science to convince others that they are right.

But hey dude, I am not you! Not sure how much money you make from the government, but I sure hope it is worth it!
How original of you. Did you think of that all by yourself? But no, I don't get any money from the government. They take mine.

please explain to me and all the other members of ATS how spraying MORE poison is good for ANYONE!?
I don't recall making such a statement but it's probably good for farmers or they wouldn't do it.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It would seem that while places like the European Union are coming to see the horrors of chemical contamination of food crops, our EPA is still so firmly in the pocket of large agriculture, they need help finding daylight again.

You think? From last year:

The European Union (EU), effective June 14, has revised its limit on glyphosate residue in lentil imports to 10 parts per million (ppm), up from its much tighter previous residue limit of 0.1. ppm.

www.grainews.ca...

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

If there are issues with humans consuming products that are sprayed by this herbicide, you have doubts that the honeybees, who pollinate crops would be affected?

It's bad enough that those small creatures are dealing with pesticides and fungicides, I guess that is their only concern, I mean what harm can a little more exposure to herbicide residue do to them?

I am supposed to trust the government, and the big chem companies in regards to this?

At some point we have to accept that decisions are made for $$$, not for the greater good...

I won't argue with you, I respect your points on everything, I just don't find firm footing on the ground you stand..

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

If there are issues with humans consuming products that are sprayed by this herbicide, you have doubts that the honeybees, who pollinate crops would be affected?

What issues? You mean stuff made up by an "independent scientist" and a computer scientist from MIT or do you know of some valid studies which show that bees (or humans) are adversely affected by glyphosate?

I am supposed to trust the government, and the big chem companies in regards to this?
No. You're supposed to use critical thinking and apply it to both sides of an issue. Can you find good science that shows glyphosate is harmful to humans or bees at reasonable levels of exposure or do you just rely on what others tell you about it?

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one Phage..

Just try to keep in mind that science... is often found to be wrong...

Ask the folks who saw the Vioxx ads on TV, went to their physicians to get the wonder pill...

When $$$ is involved, those involved do there very best to trash anything contrary to their findings...

Wouldn't it be much better to address concerns, rather than lambaste others' hypotheses ?

I thought we wanted the truth here?

I posted earlier expressing my worry for the bees, considering I have personally seen a decline here, I guess I was outta line for asking that question based on my personal experience?

Apologies if I don't follow your logic on this particular topic...

I am human

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join