It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Early SMR player NuScale no longer a lone wolf

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Early SMR player NuScale no longer a lone wolf

www.power-eng.com

The DOE proposal was submitted July 1 and the department is expected to make an award Sept. 17, McGough said.

Importantly, DOE could announce not one but two awards when it makes its award this fall, McGough said.

After the TVA, B&W project at Clinch River, DOE is looking to establish the second SMRs in 2025. NuScale hopes to develop a pack of the 45-MW modules at the Idaho National Laboratory.

The September award date is a relatively quick turn-around for DOE but most of the bidders also probably made applications in the first round, McGough said. The NuScale commercial officer expec
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.marketwatch.com
vtdigger.org

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I really like the idea of SMR (small modular reactor)
The advances in safety and simplicity are ready to be put to use in the commercial energy system. Also the fact that major companies are moving forward with their own designs means two important things...they know there is money to be made...and they will have to compete to get the market....that means lower end user costs.

I also really like that the government could be awarding financial backing to two competing companies. Excellent.

www.power-eng.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Interesting stuff, but I am not sold on long term benefits of nuclear power as it is now.

How long are they designed to operate?

How will they be decommissioned and disposed of safely for the environment?

What kind and how much nuclear waste will be produced annually?

How will the nuclear waste be safely disposed of for thousands of years?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
wow.....those are probably the best questions the nuclear power field could put themselves out to answer CLEARLY.

Thanks!

X

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   

join