It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting BOB (Bug Out Bag) Item - Lockpick Tool (or Supply Run Tool Kit)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
So, let's say the SHTF, and you're on foot, BOB on your back, and heading to your safe place.
First, breaking and entering is illegal, so this is ONLY for a situation where lawlessness exists, and society as we know it is no longer, hence not illegal anymore. (disclaimer).

Found this:
www.lockpickshop.com...

And of course similar gadgets. I can imagine this being pretty useful if traversing an urban environment. Grants access to places to hide, places to find supplies, etc.

Or, after reaching your safe place, if you then go out on supply runs, hitting abandoned targets etc. It got me thinking what else you'd need. A slim jim kit would be good for vehicles (while not destroying their weatherproofing). A crowbar is an obvious choice, along with a powerful cordless screwdriver/drill/bit tool. Another good item..a small piece of porcelain (even like a spark plug). Breaks glass very well. A Bolt Cutter is another necessity. I've used mine a lot around the ranch for chains, but I can imagine in a SHTF scenario, this would be an essential part of a supply run tool bag. Good chisels and a sledgehammer are likewise good things to have. And wire cutters for fences.

edit on 30-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thanks for the info, problem is lock picks and information on the picking of locks is illegal in the UK. To even construct a copy of the item in the link would be a criminal offence.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

Unless you are a certified locksmith just to add

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
You are forgetting the total weight of some of those items. The smaller, lighter, the better. If you are going on a "supply run" then you will have to take into account the things you will be bringing back. This kinda reminds me of the fallout games, where you go to abandoned buildings and the sort looking for stuff and things. Also, cordless items will only be effective if you have a way to charge them up. I would think that in a lawless situation, the power plants may not be in operation. So, either manual type of stuff, or have power generation back at "BoO" (Base of Operations). Generators that rely on gasoline may not be a good choice as distilling oil may not be available, so might be time to brush up on biomass distillation or something similar.
Sorry to go a bit off topic there, but there were things to consider with your tool kit.

So, manual tools are the way to go, unless personal power generation to charge is available. Not too heavy, because you will need to take food with you while scavenging in case you must go far from Base. Pack light, so you can bring a lot more weight back to base.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1
reply to post by Gazrok

Thanks for the info, problem is lock picks and information on the picking of locks is illegal in the UK. To even construct a copy of the item in the link would be a criminal offence.

Oddly you can buy a lock pick off amazon.

Amazon uk

Didn't say anything about you needing to be a locksmith so maybe the
law changed and nobody noticed.

edit on 30/7/2013 by skuly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
A padlock would be useful also, in case you had to break into a place and can't lock it up...so the zombies can't follow

Just had a look and it isn't illegal to own in the UK but If you was searched by the police you could be charged with being tooled up unless you can prove you had them for legitimate purposes.
edit on 30-7-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Mostly, I picked up the hobby for a practical reason. We inherited a place but a lot of the keys were missing to various locks. So, it was helpful to be able to get in and then remove the lock without damage, and replace it with a new lock we have the key to.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I am not aware of any change to the UK law on this one but I will concede if it has changed.

I so far haven't found anything concrete but the general opinion is closest to what Boy Monkey posted. Unless you are a certified locksmith you would likely be guilty of going equiped.
edit on 30-7-2013 by hotel1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Carrying burglary tools in a bag is a stupid idea unles th S has already HTF.
I keep an estwing carpenters hbatchet in my BOB. I can breach most any lock you can pick, and I won't get arrested if I'm stopped by a LEO.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
There are currently hobby groups and competitions running in the UK where they call them 'Lockpick Sports', so I very much doubt that its illegal to own a pick in this country. (Bit like how its legal to own all the weed smoking equipment but we can't legally smoke it.)

In any case, I don't think a lock pick is worth having in a SHTF situation. If its not essential to keep quiet you can kick, smash and saw your way into places much quicker and easier. I know Yale locks are reasonably easy to pick, but anything like a deadlock and its as good as useless anyway unless your a professional.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Here are the state laws on so called "burglary tools".

Basically they are legal in most states.

However, in Virginia, Ohio, and Nevada they can be considered evidence of criminal intent. In Tennessee they are restricted.

toool.us...

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Being able to open doors that block your way or may contain items that would be beneficial to your survival is an absolute key to urban survival if you ask me. But you're over complicating the matter by incorporating a lock pick kit. Research bump keys. If you cant open it with a bump key then chances are you cant open it at all unless you have specialized training.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The cordless lockpick tool is more for the BOB (so yeah, assuming you'll have juice before the trek home, just have to keep it charged up).

The kit is more for going on a supply run from your base of operations (so after the SHTF). So, this assumes you have power there to charge powered devices. Even then, a more manual pick may be more useful in the long run.
As far as generators go, diesel is my suggestion. Quieter, and more reliable long term. Also, more adaptable. Biodiesel, alcohol, etc. For a supply run, I'd imagine you'd use a vehicle, but if not, could have a team where some carry tools, others carry goods, etc.

For bump keys, you'd have to carry a set of different types, assess the right one to use, etc. While they can do the job, may take a lot longer. And really, for $20, I'm cool with the convenience of the tool.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

I can breach most any lock you can pick, and I won't get arrested if I'm stopped by a LEO.

Not illegal in most states. Sure, you could breach it, but could you lock it back again, like if being pursued? In an urban environment, as everything is going to hell, would be pretty cool to be able to escape through a locked door, then lock it after you. First, any pursuer will assume you went another way. Second, even if they do guess right, they now have to deal with the lock.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
If you have a base to operate out of and a power source to charge devices on, why not just use a cordless drill and drill the lock out? Its quicker and means you have no chance of breaking the lock to the point where you can't open it with the pick.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyrdnews

Remember though, the tool was for the BOB. So that if on the way, you needed to break into a place either for shelter, concealment, or supplies, you could do so. Really, this would be more for an urban environment BOB. For me, most of my path home is going to be in the woods along the interstate.

So sure, if going on a supply run from a base, could just drill out the lock with one.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I have been lock picking for a couple of years now, purely as a hobby I add

I have a pick gun and various lock picks, bump keys, rake keys etc.and agree that they would be useful in a shtf scenario. As above, doors could be unlocked and then locked up afterwards to conceal/cover your butt.

Here's a few videos of me picking with practice locks:

As has been stated, it's not illegal to buy/own lock picks in the UK but not a good idea to carry them on you person for no good reason.

Excellent hobby that I feel would have it uses in a shtf scenario.
edit on 30-7-2013 by StarTraveller because: Corrected video links

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I'm still pretty bad at it with regular picks, which is why I was looking into other aids. I've managed (through a lot of time and error) to open the locks we didn't find keys for (and subsequently replace them), but I wouldn't trust those skills under any kind of a time crunch, hehe....

The inspiration was the new Sherlock Holmes show, when it first came on. I figured it'd be fun, and a good way to get those locks changed out without too much damage.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1
reply to post by Gazrok

Like i Give a ....it's copied for future reference.
Cheers OP..

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I own a lockpick and would add another thing to your list... a set of hex and star bits - including the ones that are not easy to find because they match up to the ones used on store displays, vending machines, etc.

It takes a bit of hunting to find such a set - but they are legally available and can be ordered from a few tool or supply companies online.

Definitely things that might come in handy in a situation where society is not functioning.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join