posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:16 AM
Oxalates are the part of the plant that makes them resistant to cold....sort of an antifreeze. Spinach has lots of oxalates, they can cause kidney
stones unless either the spinach is well cooked or milk is drank or added to the spinach. This keeps the oxalates from entering the body, it
precipitates them into a rock that can't be absorbed. Some forms of oxalates cause irreversible damage. Ethylene Glycol forms an oxalate in the
body that poisons things. To help from dying, milk thistle or Holy thistle can help to detox but there will still be some damage. An antidote for
ethylene glycol poisoning is booze, if drank quickly after. I can't exactly remember what it does but it is used in medicine as an antidote.
Magnesium, just like calcium, can combine with oxalates in the gut.